Rarer birds visiting the garden

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Rarer birds visiting the garden

Post by wildlifemad »

Well the bird feeders are certainly busy at the moment & the icing on the cake in the last few days has been that we have 3 Lesser Redpolls visiting! Really lovely to see them. We also have an average count of 60 Goldfinch in the tree & on the feeders at once along with Blackcap, Siskin & Fieldfare amongst the more unusual species to visit the garden. I have also noticed that they are all beginning to sing in the mornings, a sure sign of Spring!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Rarer birds visiting the garden

Post by Mo »

I'm not sure I would recognise a redpoll.
I was in the kitchen just now and there was a flock of long-tail tits flitting through the shrubs outside the window. Maybe not rare (though I never saw them when I was growing up in London), but one of my favourites.
From this room I can glimpse fieldfares when they fly up from the orchard - all those fallen apples are not going to waste.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Redpolls, you lucky thing, I've not seen one yet !

There's a few Hawfinches around here at present (a good year all over the UK apparently) so I'm hoping to bump into one or two.

Garden wise it's all the usual visitors.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Really lucky to have the Redpoll, they were down again yesterday with the Goldfinches. We went hunting for Hawfinch on Sunday as they seem to be in nearly every cemetery in the country...not in ours in the village they're not!!! But had a lovely walk round the fields & through the golfcourse,plenty of Fieldfare & Redwing feeding on the greens. Also saw a flock of at least 40 Skylark. We are lucky to still have so many locally.