Moles: A solution or coincidence?

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Moles: A solution or coincidence?

Post by Trev62 »

Well as usual this year we have had mole hills appearing all over the field and tunnels passing under and through many of the vegetable beds but we live with them. The cats catch a few as they wait patiently by the mole hills before they pounce but.......now they have started coming through to the garden area (well it is a mud pit at present but it will be the garden area in due course, around 2030 the way things are going }hairout{ ).

The dogs dig into the mole hills sending mud everywhere, the birds scratch at them when they are turned out to the field in the morning making things worse and the cats, well they do what cats do in freshly turned up soil!

I like moles, they are fascinating creatures so I do not want to trap them, the solution? Strangely enough, a semi crushed garlic clove pushed into their hole. One in each of the mole hills and they have (so far) retreated back to the field. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, but I am glad we had a bumper garlic crop this year. )t'
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Moles: A solution or coincidence?

Post by Mo »

Never tried that. Never planted garlic as Jim hated it, and i wasn't keen.
They bring up stones which don't do the lawn mower blades any good.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've been fortunate not to have moles in my garden (heavy clay soil perhaps too much effort for them)

As for using garlic, well moles with poor eyesight rely heavily on scent to find their food so its possible they'd avoid anything strong smelling, but I'd have thought they would just go round rather than retreat.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have some mole hills in the old veggie plot, which has beautiful soil, treated by Ted over the years. The main attack is in the churchyard, where there are several enormous mounds. My oldest son did mole catching as extra income, but has retired from so doing. The garlic thing is interesting.
tonyd
Lively Laner

Post by tonyd »

2024 so far has seem a massive increase in the mole population everywhere causing no end of problems for people and farmers everywhere, but on the plus side if you have got them your ground must be fertile with plenty of worms etc in it for them and the soil that makes up the mole hills is great for using it to start off your seeds and for potting on plants. :-D