Roadkill - lost one of the Cubs yesterday

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Roadkill - lost one of the Cubs yesterday

Post by Richard »

Sadly, I found one of the Cubs on the A28 about 200 meters away yesterday morning, although I only worked out it was a Cub when 'Daphne' appeared yesterday evening.
I'm going on the presumption it was one of them as it's a bit early for first year foxes to have flown the nest and search for new territories.
This is normally September when we see the most amount of roadkill.

It's not annoying, just sad, something we have to accept happens and nothing we can do about it.

For me wild is wild, I never approach the foxes further than ten meters away so not to become too human approachable.
It's been a case of helping the Mother feed her young when she had a really bad leg. She still has her bad days now.

It's strange that since they banned Fox Hunting, fox numbers have dropped. Hard to put a finger on why, possibly more housing estates going up which means more roads, who knows.
Some may say it's a natural way of keeping their population at bay.

Then of course, these are rural foxes and very different to urban foxes.

I heard gun shots two fields away this morning, probably the Farmer's employees shooting Rabbits and Pigeons.
Hopefully they will skip the foxes. Most Crop Farmers leave them alone as they keep Rabbit numbers down quite a bit.
I read that Foxes save Crop Farmers over £2 million a year by Rabbit catching. Who knows, so many arguments on both sides of the fence.

I was kind of expecting this at some stage though.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Re: Roadkill - lost one of the Cubs yesterday

Post by wendy »

{cry} {cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

That's very sad Richard.
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's almost like the Car has become part of nature.

Pity, but you can't reduce the national speed limit to 20mph.

It's nice to see lots of Toad warning signs on the Romney Marshes. There's a few places where hundreds cross the roads during the mating season.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Not sure that the signs help much. At night you can't see them till too late unless you crawl. They used to sit on the roads near here in wet weather - just sitting, not crossing - and there always were lots squashed. Not so many now, either they stay on one side or..... {cry}
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

A friend of a friend that's part of the Wildlife trust spends every day for a couple of weeks each year, at a local toad breeding spot, getting as many as possible across the road!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Very sad, I only hope it was quick.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good they do that Kitla, helps situations as Mo says.

There are Badger tunnels under the railway lines between Tonbridge and Redhill, they made them quite a few years ago.
Bit controversial now I expect, but very few know where they are, or know about them at all.

Gwen - From the look of it, very quick.

Richard
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm always sad to see any roadkill {cry} - it seems to be more a rural thing than urban (maybe animals in towns and suburbs get street smart?) as I only ever noticed it on roads in the countryside. Maybe the speed limit is a factor too - whenever I've had a driving holiday along lanes (like when I went camping), I always thought other (probably local) drivers drove far too fast for the road conditions (such as driving 70 mph + down a narrow road towards a corner you cannot possibly see round until you reach it)
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Thats such a shame Richard after watching your video of them. As you say, shame speed limits can't be reduced but then who would adhere to them?
LL said about locals speeding. A policeman (years ago) stopped a relative of mine for speeding & made a comment I've never forgotten.
" If you know this road why are you driving so fast?"
" If you don't know this road why are you driving so fast?"
Makes you think. I read somewhere recently that the car is the 2nd biggest killer of our wildlife next to chemicals used on their food sources.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

It is sad to see any animal on the road side. I think man kind has a lot to answer for where animals are concerned. A friend of mine lives in a very rural area in Scotland and she said that farmers have been shooting foxes. The result is that they are over run with rabbits and all their vegetable growing has really suffered this year. The balance has somehow been upset - down the man kind.