courgettes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
p.penn

Re: courgettes

Post by p.penn »

I have some like that too Ock - cut them off and chuck them (not on compost). No idea what is wrong with them but the plant still produces good ones too.

Make sure they are getting enough but not too much water. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ock

Post by ock »

thanks Helen )t' )grin2(
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Basically it is down to poor fertilisation Ock - I would imagine the flowers were opening when you were having deluges and cool wet weather so the insects couldn't have got round to pollinating and if they did, the pollen had probably washed away.

Fruit development coincides with seed development so if the seed are not fertile, there is no need for a plant to waste feed and energy growing a fruit that will not produce seed. It will simply rot off. Bear in mind that the squash family are not native to the British Isles, so this would not normally be a problem but with warm humid air, we tend to get a lot of moulds which can quickly spread to the rest of the plant and then it will succumb. Also, by removing it early, the plant will respond by producing more flowers (that's why harvesting courgettes regularly make them much more prolific than the marrow varieties which grow on to maturity)

Composting the undeveloped mouldy fruit is perfectly fine - it is not a disease as such. Mould spores are everywhere so composting it is not going to adversely affect future crops )t'
ock

Post by ock »

thanks )t' )t' I`m going to buy a big jar of bees now to spinkle on top )t' , thanks so much Lancashire lass, you are indeed very wise )b( )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

LL - is it ok to compost the mildew leaves too then? I have been cutting them off and throwing them away. :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

I planted my usual two plants again this year and as usual we are overrun with the things.Will someone please remind me only to plant one plant next year !

{mr.angry}
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
4pigs
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4pigs »

I never knew that fish ate things like this - so today i've learnt something!

I planted a couple of courgettes in between the runner beans (trying to make use of the space) and although they look happy - the courgettes have not grown to anything more than 4" and they are quite thin - so won't try this again. It must be that they dont get enough light/sun.

Jo
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

I was reading a book on square foot gardening and it says that courgettes need 9 squares per plant!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I have about 5 courgette plants. I had a glut last year and this year will be much the same.

Found a nice recipe though for courgette curry with chickpeas, but there's a limit to who much of that we can eat. Will end up giving lots away I guess.
Michael
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Do they freeze successfully?
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I've seen a recipe somewhere that uses slices of courgette instead of the pasta in a lasagne - can't remember where though. Wonder if Ock's fish like lasagne :?
ock

Post by ock »

LittleBrownFrog wrote: Wonder if Ock's fish like lasagne :?

I bet they do )t' )eat( )grin2(
tiameg
Lively Laner

Post by tiameg »

Never been a fan or courgettes really - had my first ones yesterday that we grew ourselves and OMG they were great! I grate them, add salt/pepper and knob of butter and microwave 5mins. The shop bought ones produce half a dish of water - the ones we grew didn't and were really tasty. I even tried a few slices raw and it was yummy. Shop bought ones are foul raw! I'm going to be adding some raw to salads from now on :)
I love egg. In fact sometimes I think I'm going to turn into a big giant egg. - Fr Dougal McGuire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I even tried a few slices raw and it was yummy. Shop bought ones are foul raw! I'm going to be adding some raw to salads from now on

We just use a potato peeler to peel off thin long slices on to salad.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Annie wrote:
lizziedoggarden wrote:I am in a giggly silly mood tonight

Pleased to hear it , I'm feeling a bit flat so eating ...so when I go to bed I will just feel FAT .

Wouldn't a bicycle pump inflate you better.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire