Plastic Greenhouses

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
morbidia
Lively Laner

Plastic Greenhouses

Post by morbidia »

Hi I have been looking at these plastic greenhouses and was wondering if they are any good, I was thinking of having one at home on my patio to start things off in that could then be transplanted to the allotment,do any of you use them with any success, they appealed to me as I don't have an awful lot of space or money and at the moment can't really afford a greenhouse,we eventually want to put a proper one on the plot but I was thinking of using one of the plastic ones in the mean time :-D
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Plastic Greenhouses

Post by Annie »

Do you mean the ones you can get in £STRETCHER for example ?
I think they are very useful and I have a couple to supplement the 'normal' greenhouse. The only problem is they aren't very stable so you have to anchor them somehow or else make sure they are in a place where the wind can't topple them.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not sure what £ stretcher sells, but are we talking about some shelves with a plastic zippered cover as in a "mini" greenhouse? Or a walk in 6 feet high plastic covered frame?

The mini ones are fine for trying to germinate seeds but beware when the sun comes out and has some heat behind it when you have seedlings - the mini greenhouses heat up quickly especially with the zipper closed and they can cook the plants. The plastic covers on mine have long gone brittle and binned, but I use laundry pegs to fasten plastic sheeting especially on the top to make a roof which is handy to keep the rain off especially heavy spring showers.

As for the walk in greenhouse, I would not recommend them as they have a flimsy frame that collapse under the slightest breeze - I had one which lasted just 3 days )gr: ... never again
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I have seen both sorts in Wilkinsons, one is a small one with a clear plastic cover that has a door that rolls up and the other is high enough to stand in but only about 2ft in depth so the shelf are on either side of the door,I can't remember if the door zips up or ties up :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

lancashire lass wrote:I'm not sure what £ stretcher sells, but are we talking about some shelves with a plastic zippered cover as in a "mini" greenhouse? Or a walk in 6 feet high plastic covered frame?

The mini ones are fine for trying to germinate seeds but beware when the sun comes out and has some heat behind it when you have seedlings - the mini greenhouses heat up quickly especially with the zipper closed and they can cook the plants. The plastic covers on mine have long gone brittle and binned, but I use laundry pegs to fasten plastic sheeting especially on the top to make a roof which is handy to keep the rain off especially heavy spring showers.

As for the walk in greenhouse, I would not recommend them as they have a flimsy frame that collapse under the slightest breeze - I had one which lasted just 3 days )gr: ... never again

After I posted this I found the Greenhouse and Polytunnel forum and read your post on plastic greenhouses, if I got one it would be on my south facing patio that get the sun all day (when we get sun that is) its sheltered from the wind down there and I could anchor it to the ground but maybe it would get too hot
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Annie wrote:Do you mean the ones you can get in £STRETCHER for example ?
I think they are very useful and I have a couple to supplement the 'normal' greenhouse. The only problem is they aren't very stable so you have to anchor them somehow or else make sure they are in a place where the wind can't topple them.

I haven't looked in £ stretcher I was in Wilkos and saw them there, I will have to go and have a look at what they have as wlell :-D
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

This is the one I looked at and it has good reviews

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-green ... t/0273090/
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

They are fine for seed starting but ,can get hot in strong sun so beware of scortching,and soon cool off due to there small size so watch if it turns frosty,and find a way of anchoring down as dont need much wind to blow away.Apart from that if not allot of room then can be very usefull adition to the garden. )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I actually use the smaller ones in the house too when starting seeds off as my 'proper ' greenhouse isn't heated. They dont take up much space in the spare bedroom and so long as I rotate the seedlings on the shelves (top to bottom) seems to work and they don't get too leggy.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

I have one at the moment,have had a few in the past but the shelve struts keep collapsing and the plastic covering becomes brittle after a season.

Maggie
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Yes you are right not over strong ,but not over priced either.I havent used one of the small plastic greenhouses but if the covers only last one summer then realy are not that cheap.Maybe a couple of cold frames a better bet . )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

We had a 6 x 4 plastic greenhouse at our previous home. It seemed to last pretty well. If you like, I could try to find out whose garden it landed in when the gales took it 3 years ago and see if it survived the flight! We stood it on a patch of old concrete and so couldn't peg it down. This was an error!
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Post by maderedundant »

I started off with one of the 2ft wide ones with a normal cover which lasted for one season, but I think that was only because I didnt take the cover off over winter.
The following year I bought a 6x4 foot one with a re-enforced mesh cover on it. To this I added extra shelving made from canibalised parts from the previous one.
Mine was on a concrete base but was tied down well with the guy ropes provided.
It has lasted me for three years, and only now will need some attention. I think I will reline it under the original cover as all the mesh is still complete.
At £39.99 I don't think I can complain about value for money, and it certainly did the job it was supposed to do.
This year I also have one of the large hexagonal (2m x 2m) to erect bought in the sale last year from B&M for £29.99. This also has a re-enforced cover so I'm expecting at least 3 years out of this one.
Regards Paul
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Hi thanks for the info, I have since bought the greenhouse from Wilkinsons. I bought the small one but they sent me the bigger one so I have been naughty and am keeping it )de:
Its looks good for the money I paid and is big enough to walk right in :-D I have put it on the patio for now and as I have crazy paving there are gaps so I can peg it down )t' . I have strong metal pegs so I am going to use them to peg it down, so hopefully it will be ok