Is anybody else late in starting?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jackian
Legendary Laner

Is anybody else late in starting?

Post by jackian »

It is our 10 th year allomenting and usually what ever the weather through the winter we have had a go at sorting them both out ready for the new veg year...Not this year , }hairout{ we thought we were going to have a good start because the winter was so mild to start with ..and then it all went pear shaped (or veg shaped) and although dug over the end of last year nothing has been done.
Are we the only ones? We are usually well under way by now...Hopefully this week end. )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
p.penn

Re: Is anybody else late in starting?

Post by p.penn »

YOu are not alone. I've not done a thing. }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Me too :?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Dug my plots over at the weekend.

Still a few weeks before Spring, so I guess we still have time :?
Michael
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Apart from onions, we haven't got started yet. Mind you, we are up in Yorkshire and we always have to add a few weeks before the growing season starts. All the books seem work on Southern England climate.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I have learned over the years that when the growing season finishes that I ought to get some jobs done before winter - but too often I can't wait to down tools for a reprieve and then the weather turns and it's too late. To be fair we had such a mild autumn that I did push myself last year so that it wouldn't be such a shock in spring and about half of the plot is more or less done and just needs titivating up a bit, but there are some beds that need to be started from scratch and I really need good dry (preferably warm) weather to tempt me to do it.

This winter I've been clearing off the shared plot that my friends and I have given up but I can't believe how long it's taking }hairout{ Nothing ever goes smoothly - a lot of stuff is heavy so I can only do so much without getting too tired or cold, then I lost the key to the shed where the bulk of my wood is stored, then I get a cold and didn't want to go out, then we get a hard frost or it snows and with only the weekends to do the move ... very frustrating. I'm seriously thinking of booking a day's leave from work just to finish it off and get peace of mind - the other reason is that the plot is actually in good condition so if someone was on a waiting list then they really don't have that much to do in terms of clearing established weeds etc, but leave it 6 months and it will quickly revert to a sad state.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I'm seriously thinking of booking a day's leave from work

Only a day LL! I have taken this week off to try and get some things together here.
So far have cleared and cleaned greenhouse, sown my tomatoes, chitted potatoes , cut hedge and done various household chores. But haven't got a decision on whether I can have a bit of allotment so can't start to plan that yet. }hairout{

Anyway I don't like to start things too early, March April is plenty early enough - wait for the hawthorn to start into leaf before doing any veg sowing.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I've not started anything yet either. I've learnt from previous experience there is just no point in starting until things warm up a bit. Nothing much germinates, and it is a waste of time and effort. Some years I've started seedlings off on my sunny windowsill, then been unable to plant them out when they were ready to go and they've gone over the top and got wasted. {cry}

So I just wait now until things are more favorable.
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

An old saying"Ne,er strike a clout till May is out"so you have no worries.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

After reading these posts my guilt is going . We did dig them over the end of Autumn . )t'
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

All my plots are dug ready to rock n roll! I dont start planting until march though! )t'
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
Cranford Steve
Lively Laner

Post by Cranford Steve »

All my plots are dug ready to rock n roll! I dont start planting until march though! )t'
"thou shall not lay a hedge, when the birds are nesting"[center][/center]
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

This is where the Garden Centres rub their hands. You see all these lovely bedding plants etc and get the bug and plant them and its to cold to do anything till at least April-May.
Meanwhile when the Garden Centre see everybody returning to buy more plants its a case of snigger snigger they fall for it every year
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The forecast for the weekend isn't looking too bad. Let's get cracking on all those outstanding jobs )t'
Michael
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've not done anything yet {cry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.