Rhubarb?????

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Rhubarb?????

Post by tortzblue »

Hi I'm a total newbie to gardening. I bought a rhubarb plant a while back but didn't get round to planting it till recently :oops: I've put it in semi shade. It has no rhubarb sticks just a HUGE stem with what looks like a BIG bunch of flower buds on it. Should I leave it or chop it off? +confused+
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Rhubarb?????

Post by Annie »

The first year you grow rhubarb you just let it grow without harvesting it, eventually it will die back and come back much stronger the following year and you can get picking. Before winter make sure you cover it with mulch of compost or something similar to protect the crowns. When you pick rhubarb you just take hold of the stem and twist it off - don't cut it , and always leave a few stems on the plant don't harvest them all. Good luck .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Oh OK thanks- but what about the flower thing- should that be cut off? It looks like all the strength is going into that
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

Thanks - I'll nip out and chop it off 1st thing tomorrow when I see to the chooks!
selrufus
Learner Laner

Post by selrufus »

Can I be rude and use your rhubarb thread to ask a question to?

I have two rhubarb crowns in my raised bed, the first I am getting lovely thick strong stems coming through the other loads of stems but very thin and weak looking, any ideas how I can strengthen the 2nd one up a bit?
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

selrufus wrote:Can I be rude and use your rhubarb thread to ask a question to?

I have two rhubarb crowns in my raised bed, the first I am getting lovely thick strong stems coming through the other loads of stems but very thin and weak looking, any ideas how I can strengthen the 2nd one up a bit?

Are they both the same type. If so all I can suggest is to feed the weedy one

Yes remove all flower heads as they take away all the nutrients in the plant.