Corgettes rotting from flower end

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bilbobaggins
Lively Laner

Corgettes rotting from flower end

Post by bilbobaggins »

I am growning my corgettes in a polytunnel as I live at 1000ft up in the pennines and also we have slugs the size of cucumbers!
The plants are healthy, lots of flowers which turn into corgettes but then when the flower falls off they start to rot.
Any ideas would be appreciated. I do leave the door open when I'm around so insects do get in.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Corgettes rotting from flower end

Post by AL37 »

One of the old boys at the allotment told me to take the flower off as soon as the fruit is as big as your finger. I haven't grown any this year but didn't have any problems with rotting last year.
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

how are the courgettes now? Hopefully some warmer weather will help but I do wonder if lack of pollination is the main reason. Perhaps next year grow a parthenogenic variety - these produce courgettes without pollination. Parthenon F1 is well known (but expensive) I grow a variety called Cavilli F1 which is pale green and despite all the others struggling at first, this one has already yielded an average of 1 courgette every other day. My other courgettes are now gearing up to glut levels soon and with the warmer weather forecast ... !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Is that the secret to vegetable gardening success Lassie - getting up at 5am :-D :-D

The weather should dry things out a bit and it wouldn't surprise me if it all comes good for you bilbo.

For me it's not the Land of the Trifods, it's the Land of the Courgette Leaf, they're enormous, the largest I've ever seen.
Luckily the fruits are plentiful!

But as I say, a month ago I thought there'd be nothing.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Are they touching the ground as that will do it every time!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:Is that the secret to vegetable gardening success Lassie - getting up at 5am

LOL - actually, I WAS at the allotment at 5.30am to ... believe it or not ... pick some courgettes, and to take some photos:

While on the subject of parthenogenic courgettes, the "baby marrow" on the left and the little one on the top with the flower bud are the Cavilli I mentioned.