Frost proofing a fig tree

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Frost proofing a fig tree

Post by maderedundant »

Hi all,
not been on for a while. I have a small fig bush in a container too large to move. A couple of years ago I lost all the young figs to frost, despite covering in fleece. ( It was exceptionally cold).
Last year there were none, but this year they are back again. What is your method of insulating a fig, or any other fruit for that matter.
I've been told that plastic sheet or bubble wrap only encourage mould.
Paul
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Re: Frost proofing a fig tree

Post by Homemade »

I don't protect mine at all down in wiltshire, it is growing against a wall.
If you want to protect yours then garden fleece would be the best thing to get as it breaths so no mould etc.
The small figs that you see at the end of the season usually drop off, it is only the very tiny ones that develop the next year.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Frost proofing a fig tree

Post by albertajune »

Our fig is growing against a wall and will be covered for the winter with fleece.
This year has been a funny one for figs. At the beginning of the season no figs grew.
Towards late summer and now, the fig is covered with smallish figs, but these will fall if not removed. The small pea sized ones are next years fruit and are the ones to retain. My neighbour had the same trouble with his fig, so it must have been the norm for this area this year -Berks.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.