Square foot gardening

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Square foot gardening

Post by heebiejeebie »

Anyone tried it? Comments?

I'm reading the book at the moment and since I want to make some raised beds this winter anyway for use in the spring, I thought I might give SFG a go.

(The book has lots of good ideas but geez is it irritating to read! I'm sure it could've been written in 10 pages).
There's no cure for stupidity.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

hello

im waiting for my mum to hand me her copy!

ged has read it but i havent seen him in a while on here.

we can compare notes once mine turns up! lol

im hoping its gonne be simple to understand as im not too green fingered....but from what you said....er :shock: fingers crossed hey!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

The book is really simple to understand and very repetitive. Anything important is in 18pt bold type!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

:-D perfect for me then!! ill still be on here asking questions no doubt! :wink:
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Square foot gardening

Post by AnnaB »

Hi heebiejeebie
We originally made our raised bed with wood - these do not last very long even with treatments. This year they were replaced with concrete gravel boards and we are hoping there will be no more maintenance.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I was going to use wood simply because I have wood. Would it be worth treating it then lining with plastic so that the soil and the wood are not as closely in contact?
manda

Post by manda »

www.squarefootgardening.com/

If you're waiting for the book then you can always go to his website and look at that ...it's all there and you can download it so you have a copy you can can get grubby :-D

Haven't tried it myself ..do the lasagne gardening..only thing I would say is that the peat moss bit isn't very environmentally friendly (although you can by alternatives I would think they are expensive).

I have to say the Lasagne gardening (they just call it Layer gardening here) works for me, you can use all sorts of compostables to make the layers so maybe a mix of the two would work - maybe do the square foot planting idea...might give that a go....only thing is if you have free range chooks...they love the layers too!!!
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

We've used non treated hardwoods to raise our beds. They are still in good condition after five years. I'd be concerned about treated timbers for a vegie garden. You could line it with plastic, however you would need to put holes in it for drainage - obliterating the purpose of the plasic in the first place.....maybe?

cheers
Jodi
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

No, I just meant to wrap plastic around the inside of the wood but leave the base open. I'm putting a layer of weed-control fabric down, then the box, then fill.

I've ordered a humungous bag of vermiculite and I've bought growbags (because I can lift them!) and I was wondering about alternatives for peat moss!
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ive got my copy now, sat next to me!

bit of bed time reading me thinks!!

kat x
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

No Kat - after hearing your green fingered exploits......

ALL DAY )de:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

aw i feel so welcomed back! thanks richard, i dinnarf miss you lot!! )t'
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I got coir instead of peat moss. Just got to build the box now and I can plant some stuff.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

Box built! It's a bit shoddy looking but quite strong and at least the diagonals are equal! Didn't bother with the plastic in the end - when it rots, it rots.

I got a couple of pallets from freecycle and made a 3ft x 4ft box. I didn't use the coir, just a 2:1 mix of growbag and vermiculite. There are pictures of it on my blog (plots and plans) if anyone's interested.

I planted 4 squares of lettuce seedlings, 2 of kohl rabi and the rest with spring cabbage "wintergreen", 3 seeds per square so I can chop off all but the strongest as SFG man suggests.

The "square feet" came out to be only 121 square inches but I'm sure the veg won't notice.

Now I want to build more!