honey fungus

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
melons
Legendary Laner

honey fungus

Post by melons »

I never usually post in this bit :-D

I've lost x2 apple trees in as many years, two people have suggested it could be honey fungus, never heard of it :oops: they both had all their leaves go brown then drop off, then the whole thing died, they are very old trees, I have one left in the garden which is my bird feeding tree, I'd be gutted to loose it, does anyone have the faintest idea how I'd diagnose it / treat it, I goggled it, & it all seems pretty hopeless to me if it is :cry:
All i can say is that after a really heavy down pour... of which we've had hundreds this summer, I get a rapid growing fungus/ mushroom grow under it for about a day, then that itself also dies off.
All the Elm had died in the hedge too, so that has all been replanted with Hornbeam, Pyrocantha & hawthorn, this has flourished, my Frisia Robinia which I planted is also looking sad.
Cheers
mel x
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Hi Melons

This page has quite a good overview http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1100/honey_fungus.asp and if you type "honey fungus" into google images there are lots of pictures to help with identification.

I hope that it's not HF. Old apple trees can be given a new lease of life with a good pruning.
melons
Legendary Laner

cheers

Post by melons »

Cheers I'm going to print that off to absorb later on, thank you :-D
Cheers
mel x