First attempt at yogurt cheese today

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: First attempt at yogurt cheese today

Post by rhubarb93 »

I make "Yoghurt Cheese" (though I call it Cream Cheese!) from Greek yoghurt - the full-fat one. I just sterilise a sieve and piece of muslin with boiling water, line the sieve with the muslin, place over a bowl, spoon in the yog and put it in the fridge overnight. Result - beautiful fresh, clean-tasting cream cheese. No more of that nasty processed/emulsified "soft cheese" for me.
It makes wonderful cheesecake too.
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Post by maderedundant »

I've just finished making a yogurt cheese using skimmed goats milk using the same methods I used in my previous post. 1 ltr of milk has made a cheese weighing about 110g (4oz).
I've added a little salt, chopped fresh parsley and garlic to this batch. Mmmmmmm.
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

I use the Easiyo Geek yog mix and make in the usual way. If you go to `Lakeland`
you can for not much expense buy a small sieve which is specially designed for cheese making. Its conical shaped and you just put it in the top of a jug. Afterwards it goes in the dishwasher or failing that you could sterilise it with boiling water.
When the cheese is done you can put whatever you fancy in it.
We add finely chopped fresh herbs and garlic and then of course season it. Lemon salt and pepper is nice and then use it just like any other spreadable cheese.
Yes it is excellent for making cheese cakes and a darn site cheaper than buying cream cheese from the supermarket.
I am going to experiment with fruit flavours and try making ice cream with it. I think it would make a change from creme fresh and cream as a side dressing for sweet flans and things like that. I think you would have to add a bit of icing sugar to it and thinking about it , it would make a rather nice, not too sweet, cake filling or you could maybe ice cup cakes with it. )t'
lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.