Biccies

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Biccies

Post by manda »

I made a load of biscuits for our friends little boys birthday..never used royal icing to decorate biscuits before so thought I would give it a go...
Got to say hats off to people who do this all the time...it's no where as easy as they make it look...I'm not that hot with an icing bag (which is why I use fondant more) but I think it's something I would like to practice more because I quite enjoyed it....I like learning new things (well especially when it comes to food).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Biccies

Post by mrs boodles »

They look pretty scrummy Manda, only tried to make biccies once before and bit of a disaster. Was looking at a recipe for chic chip cookies that looked quite easy and would like to have a go at shortbread.
manda

Post by manda »

Give it a go Mrs Boo what's the worse that can happen...you end up with a cookie covered in icing ....you might just be surprised how they come out.
I have to admit I bought a packet of royal icing mix ...made life very easy..put exactly 50mls water into the powder and mix...so I did and it worked..perfect for the piping..then I made up separate bowls for different colours and added teaspoon of water to them and mixed adding a tiny bit after that until it looked right ...have a look on the internet as well...I put in royal icing decoration for cookies and there were loads of blogs came up with it in and lots with good photo info (which I really like ..I find pictures sink in better with me).

Just leave a bit of time or make the cookies one day and decorate another which is what I think I might do next time or it can seem like a bit of a mission. :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Manda )b( Brilliant!!!

I bought THIS book in a charity shop a while back and got completely inspired, but the inspiration was limited to buying more cake books and looking at the piccies! You may get some more ideas from this link as you can 'look inside'.

I must give it a go at some point as they look stunning. Well done you!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

They look great Manda, they're bound to go down very well at the party.
Are you feeling any better? Cookie making when you're feeling poorly is even more impressive )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Sara

Post by Sara »

Manda, They look fab. )eat(

Do you do postal delivery {rofwl} {rofwl}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
perchy

Post by perchy »

They do look lovely and Helen has a good recipe for shortbread Mrs Boodles )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

PS Manda - how long do you think they will keep once iced? Do they go soggy quickly? >coc<

(Ha ha ha bet they were all eaten in milliseconds!)
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Post by manda »

No they don't seem to go soggy Helen ..the icing goes hard so it doesn't smush (technical word me thinks) into the biscuits.... I made extra for us at home I made them Friday night and it's now Sunday night (amazing!!!) and they are still OK.

MissEllie wrote:They look great Manda, they're bound to go down very well at the party.
Are you feeling any better? Cookie making when you're feeling poorly is even more impressive )t'

Ellie I managed to make them and not cough all over them...that was the impressive bit )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

jilianne
Learner Laner

Post by jilianne »

beautiful, Manda!
I admit that I have become a bit lazy....the last few times I made them I iced each one entirely with plain royal icing and when they were dry I just quickly painted on designs with paste food coloring!
My thumbs have become a bit damaged over the years so this is easier on them then using the pastry bag with the stiff icing for dozens and dozens of items.
manda

Post by manda »

Funnily enough I was looking at someone on Y Tube painting them this evening...I'd never seen it done before!

I could probably cope with that better than an icing bag ....I could count on one hand how often I've used one of them :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

jilianne
Learner Laner

Post by jilianne »

I first tried it years ago on a fondant. I ran out of time working on a cake for a rose happy friend. Really, how many roses can you fit onto one cake! I just painted roses and buds on inbetween the icing ones. It looked great and I liked the effect of flat and 3 dimensional decorations.
manda

Post by manda »

I've done similar on cakes but hadn't thought to do it on biscuits ..I suppose if I'm honest I would never think to spend that much time on them )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

They look fab :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

They look lovely Manda im not a biccie fan but i think i could be tempted SAE on its way :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx