Ginger Beer et al

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Ginger Beer et al

Post by maderedundant »

Hi all, I've recently started making my own ginger beer, in small quantities, a gallon at a time. I then bottle it in 500ml sparkling water bottles. I've tried variations on a basic recipe, adding a whole chilli is good. This gives just the right amount of kick. My latest batch has added lemongrass. This will be ready to drink on Saturday so I'm looking forward to tasting it. I'd be interested to know if anyone makes any other beers e.g. Nettle Beer, and what are the recipes and results.
Regards Paul
saint-spoon

Re: Ginger Beer et al

Post by saint-spoon »

more importantly where's the recipe for your ginger beer?
Bah Humbug
maderedundant
Lively Laner

Re: Ginger Beer et al

Post by maderedundant »

OK Here's the recipe I use
100g fresh ginger
400g sugar
1tsp Cream of Tartar
4 lemons
5g dried yeast
5 litres boiling water

In a sterilized bucket chop the 4 lemons. Add the sugar, cream of tartar and ginger.
Pour on the 5 litres of boiling water. )c+
leave to cool and then sprinkle dried yeast on the surface. Any dried yeast will do. I use bakers yeast. >stir<
Cover and leave overnight or about 24 hours.
Strain, bottle and store for at least 2 days.
Leave a gap at the top of your bottles and don't forget to release the pressure every so often to avoid bursting bottles.
I bottle mine in 500ml plastic sparkling water bottles and fill them to just above where the straight part of the bottle ends.
When loosening the caps to let off the pressure and also when serving, it is best to do it slowly and gradually.
This ginger beer is a "live" fermentation so it will continue to ferment and build up pressure after bottling.
Do not worry about any sediment in the bottom, this is just a natural result of fermentation.
The flavour improves given a few more days in the bottle.
Regards Paul