Rhubarb wine making thread with recipe

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Re: Rhubarb wine making thread with recipe

Post by p.penn »

It does produce a surprising lot! :-D

I did 2 separate batches last week, and am busy drinking last year's efforts at the moment! I think you will find it both simple and rewarding.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Just to let you know that I have followed your recipe. It is now in a demijohn, popping away like a good un. )t'
Thanks for sharing Helen. If it turns out like yours in the pic, I will be very happy )hic(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have just started making a third gallon! yike* I have just had mountains of rhubarb this year - used 9lbs so far and still have a little more to use )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

p.penn wrote:I have just started making a third gallon! yike* I have just had mountains of rhubarb this year - used 9lbs so far and still have a little more to use )c(

I only have one demi on the go but have lots of rhubarb in the freezer and am wonering if I can stilll make wine from it.
Must buy more flagons as I only bought 3 last year, being a come back to wine maker. These are all full and it will be a good year for fruit this year.
When I think of the wine making equipment that I gave away, I could kick myself. I don't know if I should blame you Helen or the lane. It was joining the lane and reading your various wine making threads that got me into it again. )j;
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I wish I'd used all my rhubarb on wine instead of giving myself heartburn with loads of rhubarb crumble..
I'm just sterilizing the demijohn and have realised I only have two rubber bungs - both in use! So shall have to pop over to buy some bungs, also need several more demijohns, wine bottles and corks!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Willow - don't fill the demijohn right up at first. Fill it to the shoulders and leave it at least a few days. I made the mistake last year of being over keen and it just went everywhere! So I haven't topped mine up yet, even though it's been over a week. I will do in a day or two though.

If you need a temporary bung in the dj, you can use some cotton wool.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

PS June - not sure about the frozen rhubarb on 2 counts:

1) When was it picked as you should only use up to mid june really
2) It will release a LOT of liquid just from being frozen and defrosted, and as there is so much acid in rhubarb, I wouldn't be sure about using my method. I probably wouldn't.

BTW, I have run out of sugar so this one has 4oz less. It will be interesting to see if I like it.
Helen xx

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Will do Helen, I saw the photos of your over enthusiastic fermentation from last year and made a mental note!
Tony has been and bought bungs so I can go sterilise them )c(
I seem to be going through a lot of sterilising powder - what do you use and where do you get it from??
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

What are you using for sterilising? I use sodium metabisulphite, which is around £2 for 100g.
You mix 1 tsp with 1pt cold water, then after washing and rinsing your stuff, you just swish it round, making sure it has contact with everything, then rinse once with cold water -easy. I then pour it into a screw top bottle as it can be reused time and time again. I also use it in the air locks. Just don't inhale the fumes too much!
Helen xx

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I use the youngs steriliser & cleaner & it has to soak for at least 10 mins..

The Rhubarb wine is now on its way. Its a sort of slightly yellowish greeny colour? The 'syrup' was pinky greeny and I had to give the dj a fair shake to get the first lot of syrup that went in to mix with the next lots I rinsed the rhubarb with - it didnt seem that thick at all ... Have filled the dj to the shoulder, fingers crossed it all works!

Albert Einstein
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Just having my first glass of last year's rhubarb wine. Having never made wine before (used Helen's recipe), I was a little worried. It didnt look like rhubarb or even smell like it. However, although it is as clear as any white wine, it tastes very rhubarby. It's sweeter than I normally drink, but it does seem nice. I'll report back on the potency if I'm still upright later. At first it seems like cordial, but as an after taste, it does seem quite strong yike*
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am pleased it worked for you Ruth! You can always use less sugar - 2.5 lbs instead of 3. I tend to stick to 3 and some wines still taste quite dry. Also I would hate to have a sharp rhubarb wine.
Helen xx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Helen - did you give Ruth the proper recipe or the one where an ambulance may be needed after two glasses?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Richard wrote:Helen - did you give Ruth the proper recipe or the one where an ambulance may be needed after two glasses?

yike*

{rofwl}
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
perchy

Post by perchy »

RuthG wrote:
Richard wrote:Helen - did you give Ruth the proper recipe or the one where an ambulance may be needed after two glasses?

yike*

{rofwl}

Wow, must be strong Ruth has fallen over laughing already )grin2(