orange tomatoes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

orange tomatoes

Post by saint-spoon »

This year I have grown, amongst others, three varieties of orange/yellow tomatoes and I must say that I think that they have a far superior flavour to the red ones. They are just superior in my mind; the flavour just explodes in your mouth, they look nicer and compared to two red varieties they are juicier.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Re: orange tomatoes

Post by p.penn »

I grew T & M 'Balconi' yellow toms for the second year running but this year I put them in the flower bed - I cannot believe how many toms I have on such a small plant. It is a tub/basket type and is completely weighed down with fruit. They have such a strange, almost bunched up growing habit that they look like they have wilt or something when young (but are fine).

I also bought a yellow plant from the garden center when I thought mine weren't going to be any good, but it is orange! Actually I am rather pleased as I too have 3 colours this year!

I have a pepper plant but the fruits are almost white - are they going to be yellow ones when ripe? They were multi coloured seeds, including brown peppers.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mal
Lively Laner

Post by mal »

If you want good yellow tomatoes try "sungold", "golden sunrise" or my favourite "golden queen" Try the Garden Organics online catalogue for them, they have all sorts. I also grow one called "green grape" which ripens to a lovely sunny green.
My bottom garden's like Narnia without the mothballs. I go to pick beans for 5 minutes and when I come out hours have passed!

"Power to the People!" - Wolfie Smith
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I stumbled upon an organic "market garden" on my travels at the weekend. I chatted tot he owner for ages, and he gave me a little orange tomato straight off the vine to try. I'm not really a tomato lover but I ate it because I didnt want to be rude. Oh my!! It was absolutely delicious! In fact, I had another :-D I dont know what variety it was but he did say they were all Italian varieties in that poly tunnel.
I'm going back in a couple of weeks to get some corn on the cobs, I'll check it out then if I remember
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

my yellow toms ,are golden grapes and golden sunrise both small sweet cherry sized.
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

My vote goes to 'Orange santa'. Beautiful taste - so much better than red ones in my view. Also like the yellow, 'golden sunrise' - this year they're taking a while to ripen but the orange santas are ready!

White peppers? I recon they might be the brown ones? Wouldn't put money on it though.

Roob
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.