Rhubarb wine making thread with recipe

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Re: Rhubarb wine making thread with recipe

Post by p.penn »

Ruth - I see from your posts here that you managed at least half an hour of consciousness......how was it? {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

{rofwl}

It was really lovely - but not quite the knock out drops I first thought. Will definitely need to continue sampling though )hic(

I have two other types that I havent started yet either - Welch's Purple grape and Elderflower )t' On first showing, I will definitely be making more this year :-D
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Have just sampled another glass of the rhubarb wine - to be honest, it doesnt appear to be alcoholic at all :shock:

So I tried the elderflower instead (or as well, really, as I could hardly undo the rhubarb sample before trying the elderflower sample) - now that's potent, if a little overpoweringly elderflowery in taste )t'
Last edited by ChrisG on 01 Jun 2012, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

As a total newby in winemaking I probably havent a clue what I'm talking about, but if Ruths rhubarb wine was too sweet and not very alcoholic could that mean it hadnt fermented properly?? (I just got my rhubarb wine started yesterday)
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes - it could be the ferment got stuck, although the one I am drinking now seems quite sweet too....but also quite potent!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Is it possible to restart the ferment? Or should I just chuck it?
Chris xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ruth - if it is ok, I would just drink it! If it is really too sweet for you to drink, you can always blend it with another wine after it is made. Rhubarb apparently takes up the flavour of other wines, although I haven't blended wines myself. Or use it as a dessert wine.

I think you have to mix them, then leave an air lock in for a while.
Helen xx

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Here's a good one for you then P.Penn.... How can you tell if the fermentation has 'stuck'? (before bottling)
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

You can get a hydrometer and jar which measures the speciific gravity of the wine and that will tell you how sweet it is. Although I have one, I don't bother To be honest, you would also know it has stuck as fermentation would finish very quickly.

Ruth's wine may just be sweet. Every dj turns out slightly different, even if you make them on the same day.
Helen xx

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I have one of those hydrometer things but would you say that if wine has been bubbling for a 3 - 4 weeks & then stops it would be ok or should it ferment longer?

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would say it was probably fine - especially if the weather has been warm as it will ferment quicker. Taste it and see, or do a hydrometer test for the specific gravity if you are worried. Personally, I wouldn't be.
Helen xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

When I made my rhubarb last year it was very cold and was cold indoors too. Maybe that is what stopped the fermentation? It certainly started bubbling like yours did and was trying to make a mess, but it didnt last very long.
Chris xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It could have done - it's hard to tell at this stage.

Adding 3 lbs of sugar does make quite a sweet wine (usually!), you can always use less.
Helen xx

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

It's more the lack or seeming total absence of alcohol that is the problem :?
Chris xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

How much did you drink? If you drink the whole bottle and can still see, then no, it didn't ferment out properly. )grin2(

Yeast does need warmth to multiply, and that is what it does - feeds on the sugar as it multiplies, and produces alcohol.
Helen xx