Tasty soup recipes?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
LisaB

Re: Tasty soup recipes?

Post by LisaB »

Jemberelli wrote:Country Vegetable Soup

1 large onion, peeled finely chopped
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
1 litre veg stock
200g carrots, peeled & sliced
200g potatoes, peeled & diced
200g canned haricot beans, rinsed & drained
Bouquet garnis or whatever herbs you fancy
Salt & pepper

Takes 30 mins

Stir-fry onion, celery & garlic for 2-3 mins

Add stock, carrots, potatoes, beans & herbs. Bring to the boil & season well.

Reduce heat & cook for 10-12 mins

Serve with few chopped chives

I really want to try this soup today, but I don't have any haricot beans. Any chance kidney beans or cannellini beans will work just as well?
manda

Post by manda »

Either would be fine Lisa...kidney beans are slightly firmer..cannellini slightly softer and creamier so it's up to what you fancy really )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh that's fab!
I'll probably go with the cannellini beans )t'
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Ooh let us know how it goes Lisa - enjoy! I find with soup recipes, pretty much anything goes - I often substitute ingredients for what I have in the house or what I prefer - I never stick to the recipes rigidly.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Jemberelli wrote:Ooh let us know how it goes Lisa - enjoy! I find with soup recipes, pretty much anything goes - I often substitute ingredients for what I have in the house or what I prefer - I never stick to the recipes rigidly.

I do this too but my soups are always bland. I always think "ahh I don't like that I'll leave it out", but forget that a lot of food tastes different in soup. My mum made a lentil soup with celery the other day, thought i'd hate it as I hate celery but it was quite nice! (she did put too much stock in though!). So now I'm going to try and not leave anything out from now on )t'
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

It smells like the casseroles I make {rofwl} I guess that's what it is though, stock, veggies but without the mince.
I do wish I had grated the carrot though, would of made it look more soup-like I think.

I might blend half of it up.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

It was really yummy - but I felt it lacked something (although - my mum disagrees, she always tells me my taste buds are dead anyway as I say everything tastes bland {rofwl} )
Will definitely make it again though, be great for winter. Have to think what would improve it, maybe some leek or something.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I think leek would be lovely in it. Maybe some lentils would help thicken it up a bit as well?
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Yes my mum said that too )t'
We put lentils in everything {rofwl} {rofwl}
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

)wav( I made a lovely Leek & Potato soup yesterday with 4 finely chopped leeks gently fried with 2 tbsp butter & 1 clove garlic until softened, then add 2 large potatoes chopped and 1 litre of veg stock & salt & pepper. Simmer about 20 mins adding quarter tsp salt & pepper . I then mashed it a little bit cos didnt want 'chunky' potatoes and then just before serving add a small amount of milk or cream ...really simple but tasty....and cheap !! )t' My hubby hates soup but even he enjoyed it......and even ate the lot i had left ready for freezing }hairout{
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Hehehe I'm eating some homemade soup right now )t'
the same as before, but grated the carrot this time, used button mushrooms, used kidney beans, and leek, so much better )t'

I love leek and potato soup, s33xpt, will have to try that one! Thank you :-D
jilianne
Learner Laner

Post by jilianne »

Lisa if you like ginger, try adding one or two tablespoons of finely grated ginger and a minced garlic clove which have been gently sauteed in a bit of oil or butter to the soup/stew about 15 minutes before they are done. This adds a nice zing and depth of flavor that you don't get if you add them at the beginning.
Also, veg dishes, and those with lentils and other beans often need to sit a bit to develope a fuller flavor, especially those with a lower fat content, so you may want to make your soups the day before and let them mellow in the fridge.

edited to add that if you are not fond of ginger the same saute with a hand full or two of minced fresh herbs or a tablespoons or two of crushed, fragrant dried dried ones, added at the end will also perk up the flavor as well.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I love ginger in sweet things, but not in dishes :(
But I will definitely try adding some more herbs in next time.
And I know what you mean about leaving it for a day, curries and soups always taste better the day after )t'
Thank you for the tips :-D
paddy graham
Legendary Laner

Post by paddy graham »

Found this old recipe for Spicy Nasturtium leaves soup;

Good handful of Nasturtium leaves,stalks removed
1 small potato
Medium onion,finely chopped
1 pint of stock
Double cream
Flowers to garnish
Wash leaves and put into pan with potato onion and stock,cover and simmer till veg are soft.leave to cool then blend until smooth,reheat and season till piping hot serve and sprinkle on flower shreds.
Found this on another forum.
When Irish eyes are smiling,they are usually up to mischief.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I opened my soup kitchen yesterday as it's getting a lot cooler now :-D

Here's what I made yesterday Lisa, guess it's a spicy butternut squash/veggy soup )c+ (I kind of make things up as I go along really)

Onions
Squash
Carrot
Tomatoes
Garlic
Mushrooms
Ground cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, chili powder (to your own taste)
Stock (I used home made chicken, but you can use what you like)
S&P

I fried off the spices in some oil with the onions, then the garlic quite gently so it doesn't burn.

At the same time I steamed a few slices of squash cut up into chunks and two carrots washed and cut into slices.

Added the toms, then the stock and brought it all to the boil.

Add the squash/carrots when done, along with any veggy stock.

I put the mushies in at the end (sliced up first).

Once it'd all boiled down, I whizzed it up in the processor - very yummy and I guess not very many calories too because of the veggies? )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.