Tasty soup recipes?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
LisaB

Tasty soup recipes?

Post by LisaB »

Hello everyone )wav(

Does anyone have any really tasty vegan (or that can be made vegan) soup recipes they could share?
Preferably chunky vegetable or lentil, but wouldn't mind trying something different!

I've tried a few over the passed few months that I found on the internet and they are so so so bland, they've all been awful!

saint-spoon

Re: Tasty soup recipes?

Post by saint-spoon »

Chinese sweetcorn soup:
Place one clove of chopped garlic, one small can of sweetcorn with the juices and about half and inch of fresh ginger root (grated) into a food processor and whizz for a few seconds until the corn is a bit blitzed but not liquidised. Make up a pint of veggie stock, I use won tun soup stock that I get from the Chinese supermarket but veggie bouillon works well (as does chicken stock) and bring ti to the boil in a pan, once boiling add the whizzed sweetcor and simmer for a minute, not to long or the ginger will lose it’s flavour. Use some corn flour to thicken the soup. Mix a couple of eggs with a splash of soy sauce and slowly wisk it into the soup, it will form fine threads. Serve straight away or yoi can allow it to cool and serve later. I add chopped up crabs sticks and take this recipe to work for my lunch quite often. You could add chicken slices if you weren’t doing a veggie thing.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Veggie and lentil soup.
You will need, some red lentils (110 g or so)
Some vegetables, I tend to use swede, carrot, turnip, broccoli stems, and waxy potatoes such as the ones sold as slalad or new potaotes, you can use floury ones such as maris piper but you run the risk of them turning to pulp. Any other vegetables you have to hand.
A medium onion, garlic (as much as you want) and a leek or two if they are small
Some stock in which to cook it.
Wash some red lentils.
Finely slice the onion, garlic and leeks.
Cut your vegetables into pieces, remember that swede and carrot takes longer to cook than turnip and potato so cut the swede and carrots into much smaller chunk to reduce the cooking time.
Heat some olive oil in a big saucepan and add the onion, garlic and leek, cook them over a low heat until the onion starts to go see-through but not browning, add the rest of the vegetables. Cover and cook over a minimum heat for about five minute, stirring occasionally, this will release some of the sugars from the veg and add flavour. Add the stock and lentils. Cook (simmer) for about 20 mins until the vegetables and lentils are cooked. You can whiz all of the soup now if you want a smooth one but I prefer it chunky in which case you take about a third of the vegetables and some of the liquid and liquidise it, it is then added to the soup which adds flavour and thickens it.
for the non-veggies I like to add a load of chopped chorizo sausage or some chopped bacon with the onion.
Bah Humbug
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oooo thank you SS, I really like the sound of the Lentil soup! Will try it this weekend :D
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Lisa I have a spare copy of the Slimming World's Little Book of Soups. If you ignore the fact that it's SW & also ignore the meat & fish sioup recipes, there are some lovely ones to try. If you would like it, inbox me your address and I can either pop it through the door or post it to you. Alternatively, I can type a list of the veggie recipes on here & you can let me know if any of them appeal & I'll type them up for you x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

LisaB wrote:Oooo thank you SS, I really like the sound of the Lentil soup! Will try it this weekend :D

I forgot the celery, you need to very finely slice celery along with the onions and put it in at the same time, it is just for flavour and it doesn't really feature much as a solid inthe finished soup.

I think that it was an idea from a SW recipe.
Bah Humbug
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Will I be alright to leave the celery out? really really not a fan of the stuff :oops:
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

you can iff you want but as you said before, the soups you made before were bland. The celery doesn't add celeriness it adds another layer of flavour. Globally there are lots of cuisines that use celery as an ingredient, in Cajun cooking it is vital. If you slice it fine you wont notice it and the bits that remain wont taste of celery, they will taste of the soup. I wouldn't leave it out but you're making it, add and take away what you want, My recipe works for me and it's delish (we think so anyway).
Bah Humbug
Not cooped up
Learner Laner

Post by Not cooped up »

French onion soup?

One of my all time favourite recipes and I aways use the good old fashioned Delia Smith recipe (not sure if I am allowed to add links here as I'm still new and haven't checked what is/isn't allowed) but if you google it! ;-)

Just swap the beef stock for veg stock and omit the cheese on the croutons. Ooops...just realised it has butter too, but I am sure you could get a similar end result with just olive oil! :-D

It's a really rich flavoursome soup which I have cooked for many dinner party starters and everyone loves!

My brother used to be vegan and I must confess, I am no expert and found cooking for a vegan quite challenging. Vegetarian is a lot easier...on which note, I am guessing you are not yourself vegan, as someone had suggested a recipe using eggs?

I'll have a think of further recipes but don't have many that avoid all dairy products. x
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I will leave the celery in SS and see how it goes :-D

You should be fine to post the link, Not cooped up!
You can get vegan beef stock so shouldn't be a problem, and I can use vegan butter. I've never had an onion soup but I will give it a go!

I only eat eggs from my own hens. I don't have any other meat/dairy products :-D
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Another take on onion soup, my Mum likes this one when I make it for her. If you can get Spanish onions, the big white ones, they make a great soup. You will need two. Chop them up and sauté in some butter or olive oil, soften but don’t colour. Add a chopped clove of garlic and a litre of veggie stock and simmer for twenty minutes. Then blitz to a smooth soup. Season and enjoy. It goes well with crusty bread. Dead easy and dead tasty, it is quite a sweet soup so I think that it needs quite a lot of seasoning. I like to add loads of ground black pepper as well to give it some kick.
Bah Humbug
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Quick and easy bean and tomato soup - saute some onion, and garlic if liked, add a tin of drained beans (any sort you like) and a tin of tomatoes (or fresh if you can be bothered to blanch and skin them). Season with salt, pepper and some sage - this herb really works with the other ingredients. Simmer a bit until combined. If you want it a bit heartier take out half the veg and liquidise/blend the rest into the soup, then return the removed ones.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I made Butternut Squash soup this morning Lisa and it is lovely, should be ok for vegans.recipe as follows. serves2 but reckon you could double it up easily.
1 small butternut squash, peeled deseeded and chopped. 1 onion, chopped. 600mls vegetable stock made with stock cube. 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin. 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander. salt and black pepper. 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.

put the squash and onion into a large lidded saucepan and add the stock and spices. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until the squash is tender. Use a blender or hand held blender to liquidise the soup until smooth. you may need to do in batches but mine was ok in one go. Return to the saucepan and reheat gently. Season to taste and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
Knikitta
Longlasting Laner

Post by Knikitta »

Ingredients
400g cucumber
4-5 good-size spring onions
1 medium potato (100g), peeled
1 round or cos lettuce
1 heaped tsp butter
850ml vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

To serve:
1 tbsp double cream or crème fraîche
a few snipped chives

Method

To prepare for this, chop the cucumber into chunks (thankfully no need to peel) and the same with the potato. Slice the spring onions (including the green part), while the lettuce leaves can just be separated and washed, and the leaves torn.

Now in a medium-size saucepan melt the butter and add all the prepared vegetables, stirring them around a bit. Then, keeping the heat low, pop a lid on and let them sweat gently for 10 minutes.

After that pour in the stock, season and, after a couple of stirs, bring it back to a gentle simmer. Put the lid back on so it can simmer gently for another 20 minutes. When the time is up, use a stick blender to purée the soup, making sure there are no escaped bits of cucumber that the blades didn’t catch – it will finish up a magnificent fresh green colour, very pretty.

Reheat gently and serve in warm soup bowls with some cream swirled into each one and a few chives sprinkled over.
I swear I'll have a permanent imprint of my palm over my face from reading forums.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Country Vegetable Soup

1 large onion, peeled finely chopped
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
1 litre veg stock
200g carrots, peeled & sliced
200g potatoes, peeled & diced
200g canned haricot beans, rinsed & drained
Bouquet garnis or whatever herbs you fancy
Salt & pepper

Takes 30 mins

Stir-fry onion, celery & garlic for 2-3 mins

Add stock, carrots, potatoes, beans & herbs. Bring to the boil & season well.

Reduce heat & cook for 10-12 mins

Serve with few chopped chives

Roast Mediterranean Vegetable soup

1 small butternut squash, halved, deseeded & each half cut into 4 pieces
1 red pepper, halved, deseeded & each half cut into 4 pieces
1 yellow pepper (same as red pepper)
1 large red onion, peeled & cut into thick wedges
2 large beefsteak tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled & thinly sliced
Juice of 1 lemon
Fresh rosemary – few sprigs
Salt & pepper
1.2 litres veg stock

Takes 50 mins

Arrange all veg on a non-stick baking tray. Sprinkle over the garlic & lemon juice. Scatter rosemary & season well. Drizzle with oil & cook in oven for 30 mins or until tender.

Remove rosemary. Scoop out flesh from butternut squash & add all veg to blender wit 450ml of the stock (you can reserve a bit of pepper for garnish if you want). Blitz until smooth.

Transfer to a large sauce pan & stir in the remaining stock. Heat for 4-5 mins. Season to taste.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell