Spicing up the cooking

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking - Bobotie update

Post by lancashire lass »

Well, it started off as Bobotie ... and ended up being a sort of (Madras) curry.

I soaked a slice of bread in milk, browned the mince, removed and then cooked the onion, garlic + (in addition to the recipes above), diced red pepper, grated carrot (grated to cook quicker), some sultanas and some peas (it all looked very colourful in the hob non-stick casserole dish) When the onions had softened, I added the cooked minced beef and spices & herbs (Madras curry mix powder, only a little bit of the ground cloves and a little bit of allspice which are both quite potent spices that can overwhelm a dish, some mixed herbs and some oregano), stirred before adding some Worcestershire sauce, mango chutney and a dash of lemon juice. Then I threw in a small handful of Basmati and Wild rice before pouring some boiling water into the pan, brought it up to a boil before putting the lid on and turning the heat down to simmer for about 20 minutes (or until the rice had cooked) Most of the water was taken up by the rice making a lovely moist mix - I added the milk-soaked bread (broke it into pieces with the spatula while stirring it into the curry with the heat turned up)

Then that's where it ended - I originally intended putting the mix (minus the rice) into a loaf tin with the egg and milk mix on top and baking it as the recipe suggested (cooking the rice separately), but 3 things changed my mind - it's not a very economical cooking method (cooking the ingredients on the hob, then baking, then adding the egg/milk and then baking again) Secondly, after tasting it I decided it really didn't need to be baked or need the egg / milk topping and thirdly, by this time I was already hungry and the idea of waiting longer was just too much.

My thoughts on flavour - my favourite curry is Madras (well, my "version") so it was already going to be a winner. The addition of the herbs, spices, chutney and Worcestershire sauce added a new dimension to the flavour (I liked the sourness of the Worcestershire sauce & lemon juice, and the chutney added a little spicy sweetness) The bread (and rice) added texture (some mouthfuls were soft while others with the wild rice were nutty) which went well. Did it need the egg / milk on top? Instead of baking, I was considering making a white sauce (flavoured with some herbs, the bay leaves + pepper) to drizzle over the top after serving from the casserole pan instead but my 3rd reason why I changed my mind was that I was hungry and thought it unnecessary.

Having saying that, all the spices (and chutney) needed something to counteract it a little so I might try the white sauce idea next time (or just bung the cooked mince & veg into a loaf tin with the egg / milk mix on top and just bake it long enough for the egg topping to cook). But oh yes, I definitely think there will be a next time (just need to tweak some of the quantities of the spices for my palate)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking

Post by Mo »

I am always too hungry for anything at all fancy by the time I get round to preparing dinner.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking - Seasonings

lancashire lass wrote: 12 Jul 2023, 10:52 I buy most spices, herbs and mixes from the supermarket as I'm not quite ready to try mixing up my own blends yet. However, even the bigger supermarkets don't sell everything that are available (even ones they used to sell) but after I had visited the Schwartz herbs & spices website to check if they still package & sell them (they do!), I realised that I could easily make up an order worth £20 or more to get free delivery. As well as replacing the ones I missed, a few others fell in the basket (Steakhouse pepper, Chargrilled chicken seasoning to name a few) plus some new ones I'd never heard of before
Not quite spicing up cooking (which makes me think of chilli, curry or Chinese) but seasonings can really elevate food without being "hot" or too spicy. The downside is that they can contain a lot of salt (read the ingredient list to be sure) but you can still get good flavour with a little light seasoning (like you might when shaking a little salt over a meal after serving)

I used the Chargrilled chicken seasoning as a marinade like I would for the "tray bake" chicken thighs before popping them into the air fryer. It certainly had that "chargrilled" flavouring (and the crispy skin) which went down well.

Yesterday I decided to try another of my seasonings. Now I don't normally buy beef (especially steak) as it is expensive and my past cooking skills often ruined it so I've never bothered. After buying the rump steak for the Beef Panang Curry, I was impressed with how it cooked and despite the cost, decided to get another for a steak dinner (with oven chips, mushrooms, creamy peppercorn sauce and a little salad on the side like you might get at a pub meal)

So I added the Schwartz Steakhouse Pepper seasoning before cooking (I didn't see the instructions of adding it AFTER cooking until too late) in the non-stick casserole hob pan with just a little oil. When satisfied it was how I'd like it cooked, removed and added mushrooms to the same oil (and steak juices that had leached out) Then I made the sauce with the mushrooms which was drizzled over the steak / oven chips. Not exactly like a pub meal but close enough to be very enjoyable - adding the seasoning before cooking didn't spoil the flavour at all. The cost of the steak is still expensive so I'm unlikely to do it very often except as a treat. I'm not sure if it is the pan or the steak itself (21 day matured) but it's the first time I have ever cooked a steak which has come out perfect.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking - lazy cooking

The other day I didn't feel up to chopping and peeling veg or standing over the cooker. Normally I have stuff in the freezer or tinned stuff which I can pop in the oven (or air fryer these days) or microwave but I really fancied a chilli con carne. I had bought a can of chilli con carne a few months back but when I came to open it, it didn't have a vacuum (the lid had popped up) It's possible the lid was like that when I bought it and hadn't noticed, or could have happened during storage. I really didn't fancy risking botulism so I threw the can away to be safe. I did however find a tin of minced beef and onion ... into a frying pan with a bit of oil, a small red pepper chopped up with some chilli flakes and chilli seasoning, a small can of butter beans (I actually prefer them to kidney beans) and tinned chopped tomatoes (plus a little squidge of tomato ketchup and Worcestershire sauce) and hey presto, instant chilli con carne!

Following on from that experiment, I had a similar light bulb idea when I'd forgotten to take some minced beef out of the freezer - not exactly "spicy" cooking this time, but the process was virtually the same. This time, a tin of meat balls in gravy. I wasn't struck on the gravy but after retrieving the meat balls, I added them to a chopped onion and garlic in the frying pan with a tin of chopped tomatoes, a dash of Worcestershire sauce and tomato ketchup with some dried oregano (and a little of the gravy granules to thicken up and give it a meaty flavour) Too hungry to wait for pasta to cook, I threw in some "ready to wok" noodles (not normally something I'd buy as I had grabbed the wrong packet when I was in the shop) and mixed them in. To be honest, I was expecting the meal to be edible but not end up being on top of my list of doing it again - surprisingly it turned out really well.

I usually prefer to cook from fresh whenever I can because too many tinned foods are high in salt and sugar but can be useful when not feeling well enough (or for whatever reasons too lazy to spend time preparing foods and then cooking) To make a tinned meal more palatable, adding herbs or spices (plus bottled sauces like soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato ketchup or whatever other flavour like chilli that you fancy) really does give it more flavour. I have in the past used tinned curry meals as a sauce base by adding to vegetables and even spiced them up even more with a little creamed coconut to make them more interesting.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking - health benefits

With winter approaching, people tend to spend more time indoors which increases the likelihood of picking up coughs, colds and flu. Home remedies such as using lemon in hot water with honey springs to mind. And I'm sure we are all aware of drinking peppermint tea to settle an upset tummy, or adding a little nutmeg to hot milk drink to help you to sleep.

Spices and herbs have traditionally been used in medicines going back centuries before modern medicine became more scientifically used to treat illnesses. Their strong flavours are the result of volatile oils containing concentrated amounts of chemicals which plants have produced to protect themselves from predation - many mammals avoid eating hot chillies (except man!) but most likely the chemical production in leaves of herbs is to deter insects from eating them.

A long time ago I used to work as a technician in a pharmaceutical department where there was a store room packed with jars of every conceivable herb and spice used to research their properties in medicine - the memory I have of going into the room was the divine smell. Pharmacology is defined as the scientific study of chemicals, produced either naturally (plants) or synthetically (in the laboratory) which affects a biological system. So it was no surprise to me to learn that many of the spices we use in cooking have health benefits - I've always known that garlic contains anti-bacterial properties and also good for the vascular system (and I also love to add it to as many dishes as I can just for its flavour) and I was told many years ago by an Asian colleague about regularly drinking a turmeric infused tea to fight infections.

Winter is also a time when we tend to prepare foods which contain herbs and spices for flavour - like that bowl of chilli con carne or soup with herbs like thyme and so on. So this post is more about the health benefits of some of the herbs and spices which are commonly used. Some herbs and spices should only be eaten in small amounts (for example, too much nutmeg can cause vomiting, irregular heartbeat and dizziness) so be careful to use them in doses for cooking rather than take as an alternative medicine which is not the purpose of this post.

If interested, I have included some links and quotes off the web of the typical herbs and spices used in cooking:

link to Eating Well
14 of the World's Healthiest Spices & Herbs You Should Be Eating

People around the world have known for centuries about the healing power of herbs and spices. Here's the science behind why they are so good for you.

A sprinkle of cinnamon in your morning coffee. A handful of freshly chopped basil over pasta. You know how herbs and spices can wake up just about any food. But they can also do a lot to keep you well. Here are the health benefits of some of our favorite herbs and spices.

Important: Some herbs in large doses can cause side effects or interact with medications. Use moderation, and tell your doctor about any herbal supplements you take.

1. Black Peppercorns

May help: Reduce cancer risk

Piperine, a naturally occurring compound that gives peppercorns their kick, may reduce the risk of certain cancers, including those of the breast, lung, prostate, ovaries and digestive tract, according to a 2019 Applied Sciences review. There are several mechanisms at play, but one of the key benefits of piperine is that it can trigger apoptosis, a biochemical process that tells cells to self-destruct before they have the chance to grow out of control and form tumours.

2. Cardamom

May help: Support heart health

Cardamom is an aromatic spice commonly used in Middle Eastern, Indian and Arabic cuisines, among others. It may provide numerous health benefits due to its high levels of antioxidants. A 2020 study in Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy found that cardamom helped decrease blood pressure in patients with hypertension. While other studies have looked at cardamom's effects on gastrointestinal discomfort, type 2 diabetes and blood glucose and more, further research is needed before recommendations can be made, according to a 2022 review in Nutrition Today.

3. Cayenne Pepper

May help: Maintain a healthy weight and improve heart health

Capsaicin is a plant chemical in the cayenne pepper that gives the pepper its kick. And it may do good things for your heart. In a review of four observational studies, chile pepper eaters had a 25% reduced risk of dying from any cause compared to those who rarely or never dined on hot peppers, per the Annals of Medicine and Surgery in 2021. (More research is needed to assess just how much or often to eat is ideal for these potential longevity benefits, according to the researchers.) Capsaicin activates certain receptors in the body that increase fat metabolism, which may help individuals maintain a healthy weight, decreasing one risk factor for heart disease. In addition, capsaicin may also aid in blood clotting, which supports heart health.

Of course, hot peppers may not be right in everyone's diet. For example, if you have acid reflux, spicy foods in general can trigger symptoms and are best avoided, notes the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

4. Cinnamon

May help: Reduce added sugars in your diet, control blood sugar and blood pressure

The American Heart Association recommends using sweet spices like cinnamon to add flavour instead of using sugar and other sweeteners. Most Americans eat more than the recommended limit of added sugar, which can contribute to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and other serious conditions, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Some studies suggest cinnamon may help lower fasting blood glucose and measures of insulin resistance in people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes, according to a meta-analysis of 16 studies in a 2019 issue of Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. It's possible that cinnamon may improve insulin sensitivity, leading to the aforementioned benefits, note researchers.

What's more, adding cinnamon may provide another potential strategy to lower blood pressure (with reducing salt intake being the primary dietary strategy). A 2020 Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition meta-analysis reported that consuming 2 grams of ground cinnamon daily (about 3/4 teaspoon) lowered blood pressure by an average of 7.2/2.8 mmHg, similar to effects from low-dose meds. This spice doesn't work its magic overnight; the best results came from studies lasting at least three months. Experts aren't sure how cinnamon controls blood pressure, but they suspect that it may open blood vessels, improving blood flow to the heart, so it doesn't have to work as hard.

5. Cloves

May help: Reduce arthritis risk, decrease oxidative stress, support eye health

Cloves are valued as a sweet aromatic spice that provides warmth and flavor to various recipes. Used in traditional Chinese medicine for years, they have numerous potential health benefits. Cloves contain a compound called eugenol, which acts as a natural antioxidant. Eugenol has been linked to helping reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases such as arthritis by helping decrease oxidative stress and inflammatory responses in the body.

Cloves are also a great source of beta carotene, which is what gives them their rich, dark brown color. In the body, beta carotene is converted into vitamin A—an important nutrient for keeping our eyes healthy.

6. Coriander

May help: Protect against cognitive decline, cancer and mood disorders

You'll find these dried seeds of the cilantro plant in sausages and curries, soups and stews. The compound of note in coriander is linalool, an antioxidant that may have anti-cancer properties and may protect the brain from diseases of cognitive degeneration, such as Alzheimer's disease, as well as mood disorders like anxiety, according to a 2018 review in Food Research International. (Further research needs to be done in humans, however.) Some research suggests that the coriander plant is a more potent antioxidant than vitamin C, the researchers say.

7. Garlic

May help: Lower high blood pressure, support immunity

With its potent bioactive compounds and other nutrients, garlic may be good for much more than warding off vampires. Treatments with garlic extracts, powders and supplements have been found to significantly lower high blood pressure. In one meta-analysis of 12 trials on more than 550 people with hypertension noted in Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine in 2020, garlic supplements lowered systolic and diastolic blood pressure by about 8 and 5 points, respectively, which is similar to typical results from high blood pressure medications.

And, although some experts say the evidence is iffy, several studies suggest garlic supplements may help prevent colds, per a 2020 Cochrane review.

8. Ginger

May help: Soothe nausea, fight arthritis pain, soothe migraines

Ginger is well-known for easing a queasy stomach. Studies show it can help soothe morning sickness, as well as nausea from surgery, chemotherapy and motion sickness, according to a 2018 review in Food Science & Nutrition.

Got migraines? This spice has been found to provide all-natural relief, according to a meta-analysis in The American Journal of Emergency Medicine in 2021. Ginger contains specific pain-relieving chemicals called gingerols and shogaols that work in a similar way to over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen. In addition, ginger's pain-relieving properties may also extend to providing menstrual and osteoarthritis pain relief, though more research is needed, notes a 2020 review in Phytotherapy Research.

9. Oregano

May help: Reduce inflammation, fight infections

These tiny but mighty leaves boast many nutrients, including vitamins K and E, calcium, iron, manganese and fiber, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center. Oregano is an herb commonly used in dishes such as pizza and pasta. In addition to lending flavor to food, it has been used to treat medical conditions for thousands of years. Oregano is rich in antioxidants—specifically, carvacrol and thymol. Carvacrol is the most abundant compound in oregano and has been shown to help stop the growth of several different types of bacteria, according to a 2018 review in Phytotherapy Research. Thymol is a natural antifungal component that helps support the immune system by enhancing the production of antibodies, says a 2017 Frontiers in Pharmacology review. Its potent antibacterial properties work to fight against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.

What's more, the antioxidants in oregano have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, says a study in Plants in 2018. All that's good news for your heart—and more. Antioxidants prevent cell damage caused by free radicals, helping fend off heart disease, stroke and cancer.

10. Paprika

May help: Decrease inflammation and pain

Paprika may be best known for adding a pop of color to dishes, but it also contains capsaicin, a compound found in peppers that has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Capsaicin is well known for its pain-relieving properties. It works by affecting the neurotransmitter that communicates pain signals to the brain, resulting in decreased inflammation and pain.

Once the capsaicin is extracted from the pepper, it can be added to a range of products, such as creams and gels, for effective pain-relief treatment.

11. Peppermint

May help: Boost mood and improve focus, relieve IBS symptoms, ease nausea

Having a bad day? Brew a pot of peppermint tea. Research suggests the minty aroma may help lift mood and sharpen fuzzy thinking, notes a 2019 study in the American Journal of Plant Sciences. Some studies suggest the scent may also soothe an upset stomach, including in patients undergoing chemotherapy, according to a randomized controlled trial in Complementary Therapies in Medicine in 2021. In one small study in Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine in 2020, surgical patients who sniffed peppermint post-procedure reported much less nausea compared to a control group.

While more research is needed in those areas, multiple studies show peppermint oil can ease pain from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), per a meta-analysis in BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies in 2019. Experts think it works by relaxing muscles in the colon and reducing pain and inflammation.

12. Rosemary

May help: Improve brain function and mood

A member of the mint family, rosemary is prized both for its flavor and its fragrance. Studies show its woodsy scent helps improve concentration and may boost mood. In one study on nurses scheduled for shift work, inhaling rosemary oil for 5 to 10 minutes at a time over a 2-hour span was effective in boosting feelings of alertness while decreasing sleepiness, found a 2021 randomized controlled trial in Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice.

13. Turmeric

May help: Ease inflammation, lower type 2 diabetes risk

Turmeric is a plant native to Southeast Asia and has a long history in ayurveda from India and traditional Chinese medicine, according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Within turmeric is a specific anti-inflammatory compound found in the rhizome: curcumin, which gives the spice its famous bright yellow hue. Research reveals that turmeric has promise in managing certain inflammatory conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and arthritis, according to a scientific article in Nutrition Today in 2020. One issue, however, is that curcumin is not very bioavailable, meaning the body is not able to use it well. For that reason, there are no conclusions about if using the spice itself in your kitchen has measurable health benefits (such as treating health problems). That said, it's still a worthy spice to add to your meals on its own or as part of a curry powder, not only for flavor and color, but as part of an overall anti-inflammatory diet. Though it's not very bioavailable on its own, pairing turmeric with black pepper helps increase our body's ability to absorb and benefit from curcumin.

14. Za'atar

A Middle Eastern spice blend, za'atar contains oregano, thyme, sumac and sesame seeds. As such, one of the wonderful things about za'atar is that there are several spices working together synergistically to support health. A 2022 review in the Journal of Functional Foods points out, the polyphenols (plant compounds) in za'atar might help improve balance of gut bacteria by inhibiting pathogenic bacteria and promoting the growth of good-for-you bacteria; it may also decrease inflammation in such a way to support the health of your liver.

The Bottom Line

You may use what seems like a small amount of spices in your cooking, but these are generally rich in antioxidants that can support your body's defences against infection, cancer and chronic diseases. Though more research on humans is needed (as well as larger studies), researchers say one thing is clear: these culinary spices are worth eating more of. Here's to a more flavour-packed life!
Due to my job I have access to research papers not usually accessible to the public without subscription so apology for the lack of link, but here is the abstract of the paper regarding the health benefits of herbs and spices:
Health Benefits of Culinary Herbs and Spices

T Alan Jiang 1

Abstract:

Spices and herbs have been in use for centuries both for culinary and medicinal purposes. Spices not only enhance the flavor, aroma, and color of food and beverages, but they can also protect from acute and chronic diseases. More Americans are considering the use of spices and herbs for medicinal and therapeutic/remedy use, especially for various chronic conditions. There is now ample evidence that spices and herbs possess antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antitumorigenic, anticarcinogenic, and glucose- and cholesterol-lowering activities as well as properties that affect cognition and mood. Research over the past decade has reported on the diverse range of health properties that they possess via their bioactive constituents, including sulfur-containing compounds, tannins, alkaloids, phenolic diterpenes, and vitamins, especially flavonoids and polyphenols. Spices and herbs such as clove, rosemary, sage, oregano, and cinnamon are excellent sources of antioxidants with their high content of phenolic compounds. It is evident that frequent consumption of spicy foods was also linked to a lower risk of death from cancer and ischemic heart and respiratory system diseases. However, the actual role of spices and herbs in the maintenance of health, specifically with regards to protecting against the development of chronic, noncommunicable diseases, is currently unclear. This review highlights potential health benefits of commonly used spices and herbs such as chili pepper, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, turmeric, fenugreek, rosemary, and garlic.
link to Health.com

I've just included some which are in addition to those already mentioned above, but do please visit the link if you want a different view of those herbs and spices
The 12 Best Herbs and Spices for Better Health

Saffron

Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) is a spice that gets its vivid reddish-golden color from carotenoid compounds like crocin and crocetin. Saffron has a slightly bitter flavor and is an important ingredient in Indian and Mediterranean cooking.

The major bioactive compounds found in saffron are crocin and crocetin, picrocrocin, and the terpene safranal, which gives saffron its distinctive odor. These substances can benefit health in multiple ways thanks to their cellular protective qualities.

Saffron has shown promise as a natural treatment for several conditions, including depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and type 2 diabetes. Saffron is thought to increase levels of the mood-boosting neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain, which may have positive effects on conditions like anxiety and depression.7

Saffron can be added to dishes like curries, risotto, and seafood dishes and can also be taken in supplement form.

Ashwagandha

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda, which is the traditional system of medicine in India.

It’s commonly taken as a supplement and has been shown to have beneficial effects on cognitive function, athletic performance, mood, stress levels, and sleep. Some research suggests that ashwagandha may be especially effective for improving sleep quality in people with insomnia.21

A 2021 review that included five randomized control studies containing 400 participants found that ashwagandha exhibited a small, but significant positive effect on overall sleep quality, which was more significant in the participants with insomnia. The researchers found that daily doses of 600 milligrams or greater taken for 8 weeks or longer seemed to be most effective for promoting restful sleep.22

Aswhawagandha is generally considered safe, but you should always check with your healthcare provider before adding an herbal supplement to your diet.

Sage

Sage (Salvia) is a plant family that can be found growing in many areas around the world, including throughout North America. It has a variety of uses in both the culinary and traditional medicine worlds. Sage has an earthy taste, with notes of mint and pine.

Active compounds such as rosmarinic acid, camphor, luteolin, apigenin, and quercetin, give sage powerful therapeutic properties.25

Studies show that sage supplements may have cognitive-enhancing effects and may help improve mood, alertness, attention, memory, and word recall in healthy adults and older adults with Alzheimer’s disease.25

Scientists have discovered that sage acts as a natural inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase (AChE), an enzyme that breaks down a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine (ACh). ACh plays an important role in cognitive function, so increasing the availability of ACh in the brain, can help improve memory, attention, and more.25

You can reap the benefits of sage by including it in recipes like soups, grain dishes, and roasted vegetables.

Parsley

Parsley (Petroselinum crispum) is an aromatic Mediterranean herb that’s high in antioxidants such as vitamin C, carotenoids, and the flavanoids luteolin and apigenin, all of which have powerful cellular protective and anti-inflammatory effects in the body.26

Eating antioxidant-rich foods like parsley may help prevent cellular damage that may otherwise increase disease risk. For example, studies show that consuming a diet high in flavonoids may help protect against cognitive decline, heart disease, and death from all causes.272829

Fresh parsley has a bright, slightly peppery taste and can be sprinkled on most any savoury dish to add a pop of color and flavor.
I'd never heard of Ashwagandha so decided to look it up - from Wikipedia
Withania somnifera, known commonly as ashwagandha or winter cherry, is an evergreen shrub in the Solanaceae or nightshade family that grows in India, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. Several other species in the genus Withania are morphologically similar.

The plant, particularly its root powder, has been used for centuries in traditional Indian medicine. Although used in herbalism and sold as a dietary supplement, there is insufficient scientific evidence that it is safe or effective for treating any health condition or disease
It is not suitable for everyone and can cause pregnant women should avoid taking or speak to their GP:
Taking Ashwagandha can increase oestrogen levels while decreasing FSH ( Follicle-stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone). They are the two hormones that control ovulation.
link to Holy Peas
Basil

Basil aids in reducing inflammation and preventing chronic inflammation diseases.

This herb also has high amounts of vitamin K, which helps with blood clotting, bone health, and can reduce the risk of heart disease.

You can use basil with pizza, pasta, soups, and more.

Thyme

Thyme is a common herb with antiviral, antifungal, and antitumor properties. Thymol, the primary oil in thyme, contributes to the immune-boosting effects that will help you fight diseases.

Thyme is best in soups, pasta, beans, and vegetables. You can use it in tea to help you when you’re sick.

Ginseng

Ginseng has fantastic antioxidant properties that aid in reducing inflammation and improving brain health. It is a common spice used to treat Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s, and other brain issues.

It also has anticancer properties, blood sugar, and pressure-lowering properties, and can aid in decreasing stress. Ginseng is best in teas and soups.
link to Dr Axe

I haven't included any quotes as above because some of the herbs and spices are not necessarily for culinary use although you may want to read up on the benefits of Chamomile, Burdock root (I love it in Dandelion & Burdock drink), Chives, Cumin seed and so on (there are 101 herbs and spices in this article - luckily the page is A-Z order so just scroll down)
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking

I noticed a slight typing error which suggests that Ashwagandha "can cause pregnant women" ... hmmm, not what I meant at all so a little addendum as it is not possible to edit the original quote (see below)

The sentence should read "it is not suitable for everyone and pregnant women should avoid taking or speak to their GP."
lancashire lass wrote: 02 Oct 2023, 10:48 I'd never heard of Ashwagandha so decided to look it up - from Wikipedia
Withania somnifera, known commonly as ashwagandha or winter cherry, is an evergreen shrub in the Solanaceae or nightshade family that grows in India, the Middle East, and parts of Africa. Several other species in the genus Withania are morphologically similar.
The plant, particularly its root powder, has been used for centuries in traditional Indian medicine. Although used in herbalism and sold as a dietary supplement, there is insufficient scientific evidence that it is safe or effective for treating any health condition or disease
It is not suitable for everyone and can cause pregnant women should avoid taking or speak to their GP:
Taking Ashwagandha can increase oestrogen levels while decreasing FSH ( Follicle-stimulating hormone) and LH (Luteinizing hormone). They are the two hormones that control ovulation.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Spicing up the cooking - Thai turkey left overs

... or would that be Turkey left overs Thai? ^b:

Either way, delicious! I decided to use Thai 7 spice and ready to wok noodles (that is, already cooked) with the vegetables (onion, red pepper, sweet potato, carrot, garlic, fresh ginger and chilli flakes) and the last of the turkey meat from the small crown bought for the Christmas dinner, diced up, with some soy sauce and hoisin sauce at the end of cooking. Definitely different from previous turkey left over meals!

Normally I can't get hold of fresh turkey from Aldi's except the weeks leading up to Christmas so I was quite surprised to find minced turkey which ended up in the shopping trolley - I used to buy it from other supermarkets all year round which I thought would be a "healthier" option from pork or beef mince. So now in the freezer for future meals when it becomes unavailable again.