New Microwave / Combination / Grill

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kate egg
Legendary Laner

New Microwave / Combination / Grill

Post by kate egg »

Just been delivered to replace my almost 17 year old faithful that expired at the weekend.

It has a booklet with it telling you how all the knobs and dials work, but not actually telling you how to cook anything :?

Does anyone have one of these new whizzy ovens? For instance how would I cook a jacket spud and get the skin crispy? I'm sure this should be possible???
wendy

Post by wendy »

I do have one, but in the booklet you should have recipes.
Mine is pre heated oven at 250 C and cook 250C and microwave 10% for 2 potatoes [250g each] for 20 minutes. Pierce in several places
But that is my oven a Sharps R-879
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

My old micro had a button that did fantastic jacket potatoes! With my new one I dis-regarded the instructions and assume that jacket potatoes take 24 minutes. I set the micro for 50% and the oven for 200/220c and put them on a rack, pierce and oil or butter.
Not as good as my old oven but I probably need to do a bit of tweaking. The instruction book setting were rubbish.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Oops, like Wendy I preheat the oven 250c first.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

preheat? :oops: Unless I was making a cake or baking bread (which I'd probably use the big oven) where temperature & time was critical, I don't read instructions, things get bunged in ... and hazard a guess )t'
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

ok i cheat , i got a microwave, fan oven , conventional oven and a spit roast all in the size of the microvave, i cheat by zapping the potatoes and then grill them slightly , saves on electricity too, and r yummy with of corse reaal fattening butter :oops: )c+
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

My multi tasking oven has a button that says potatoes..I just press it and it uses both microwave and oven so that potatoes are done quickly and crisply... does yours have something that just says potatoes? It actually works out the time and everything ... so even I get them right!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hi Bookbinder - no it doesn't have this function, you have to weigh the item and work out how long to cook it for and which setting to use.

I just bought quite a good (second hand) book from amazon marketplace for £2.76 including postage! Its very useful and is for basics rather than fancy recipes.

I will get used to it, its just very different from my old one!

Do you preheat the oven at all? I'm not sure when you are supposed to....