cat worming woes

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mo
Legendary Laner

cat worming woes

Post by Mo »

I thought I had it cracked.
I hate forcing pills down cat's throats, but the wormers I bought from Kingsley Mill were huge and soft and (so it said) tasty.
And Pat gobbled it down. So when I'd used them both I bought 4 more; first one went fine but today he's turned up his nose. Carefully eat all the pellets round it and left the pill.
Hmmm, thats cats for you. Now I suppose he'll come up to bed with me and, by moving every time I shift, he'll end up in the middle of the bed.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Can you grind it between two spoons and mix it with his food? That is how I got my cat to take tablets.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

oh Mo that sounds all too familiar!!!!
One of our cats will eat tablets broken up in his food, one will usually eat it if it's carefully encased in one of his favourite biscuits, and one refuses point blank (eats around it as you described) so we have to put it down his throat.

We had this ad here a while back which was great - showed all the 'easy' methods of administering medicines to cats - the half eaten food with the tablet left, the paste in a tube being flicked all over the owner and the floor, others that i've forgotten but were all too familiar! I think the ad was for one of those flea treatments you put on the back of their necks, which ironically I could have filmed my own ad for showing things going wrong!!!! I don't use those any more anyway as my cats had very itchy reactions to them a couple of times.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I have the worlds fussyest cat, she only eats biscuits, but....I always get her tablets from the vet, when she had one last month, they said that these were edible treat tasting ones, i thought yeah right, but she did, she ate it as though it was a treat, i can't remember the name, but i usually ask for (c) Millbemax as they are nice torpedo shaped ones, she yawns I drop it in 8)
I do have a pill popper too, it has a rubber end on it which you put the tablet in, then open cats mouth, pop it in, depress the plunger & tablet the disappears, I had a cat on Thyroxin for donkeys years, so needed tablets twice a day, he got fed up with my finger in his mouth over time & this solved everything (f+
Cheers
mel x
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

if I tried to get my cat to eat a tablet I would get my hand bitten off. With antibiotics I open the capsule and sprinkle it over his food but for the worming and flea treatment I buy the stuff that you put on the back of the neck. I buy this direct from the vet because the vet says the stuff from the pet shops is not very good (of course this could be just a ploy to get money out of me!). I find it works very well for my cat.

Lo
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I will too next time, but being .... frugal (me, mean? never!) I don't want to waste the 3 doses I've got.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

If we need to administer pills to Cerys, I get very cold butter and mould it around the offending pill. OH holds her mouth open and I push it in, as soon as it touches her mouth the butter starts to melt and she has to swallow.....pill and all! Works 90 percent of the time.
Looove chucks!
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Lo I'd be very wary of some of those back of the neck ones, so your vet may be telling the truth :?
Then again I don't even use the ones the vet sells after seeing some bad reactions from my cats and my mum's cat and reading some stuff on the web.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well my daughter feeds wet food from pouches to her cat, so I asked her to 'lend' me one to mix up the pill in. Strict instructions to OH not to feed Pat. But she walked down to feed her horses, forgot the pills and walked back without coming into the house, so the poor hungry cat had to wait for his bicuits.
She came today and he's eaten it.
So that's all right - till next time.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I also am very wary of the on the back of the neck products.
I lost a dog 3 years ago when his vertebrae in his neck collapsed. You would be surprised the amount of people who asked if I used those products [I don't] because they had heard of neck problems that could be associated with them.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I looked it up on the webb and there are pages of stuff about spot on treatments and their side effects, opened my eyes , I can tell you (f+
Looove chucks!
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

Wow that's scared me a bit. I thought as the vet that they were the best way to administer worm and flea treatments that they would be safe. Re allergies, the cat seems to be fine but this vertebrae collapsing story is scary. Maybe I will have to rethink.

Lo
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

I haven't found a great solution unfortunately - fleas can be a difficult problem!
My cats spend all their time indoors at the moment so that's a big help.
At our previous house they went outside and picked up the odd flea here and there but luckily after I decided it was too risky for their health to keep using the spot-on flea treatments they never got a bad case of fleas again. I did use a flea comb as a check and to try and catch and kill any that were found, but I appreciate that it would be very difficult to treat a bad flea problem using that alone!!

I think i just came to the conclusion that the treatment was worse than the problem!

Unfortunately most of the herbs and things that repel fleas are also apparently bad for cats, so I am not aware of any safe natural flea repellents either. I think you could use them on the carpet etc but not the cat itself.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

cat worming woes

Post by AnnaB »

TassieDev

Explore diatomaceous earth - it is safe on the girls and by all accounts can be used internally.

I am glad I have a house cat and she does not have to have any jabs, worming or flea treatments.

I swear by the good brand of food she has (Burns (c) ) and for nearly 9 year old is like a kitten.
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Can someone scare me to death too please, I can't find anything about the spot on treatments & I've used them for years, by habit more than anything as I used to have a cat with flea dermatisis & they certainly kill fleas, but what you are all hinting at is far far worse )hlp> )hlp>
Cheers
mel x