Donkey's

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Donkey's

Post by mellonia »

Hi

Has anyone got a donkey, i love them. I am not thinking of getting one or anything, but love them, has anyone got and stories about donkeys are they as nice as they look or a bit sulky, shetland ponies are supposed to be a bit of a b**ger, are'nt they and they look so cute, apparently they don't have a very pleasent temperament, or am i wrong.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

My only experience with Donkeys is a ride on the beach when I was about 5!!!
His name was Donald - I have the pics!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Karen
Lively Laner

Post by Karen »

I would love to rehome a couple of rescued donkeys, cannot at the moment though. Another one of my wishes on my long wish list !
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Yes im on the wish list for donkeys also, i have read that they need company so we will all have to get a pair!!

Also would love to be able to get my daughter a pony, there is a shetland at the stables where she rides he is called The Dude, and he's grey and spotty and always looks so grumpy, but we have seen him rolling around on his back having a great time, i love him!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Plenty of donkeys roaming wild around the New Forest, Shetland ponies galore as well. Not sure about their temperament but a squirt on the nose from a water pistol sends them on their way when they are trying to nick off with your dressed salad of an evening. :shock:
Bah Humbug
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I fostered 2 donkey mares from the devon donkey sanctuary, its the best fun I ever had. They are so cute , if a little naughty. They used to frisk me in the stable to see if I had anything edible in my pocket. Usually chocolate buttons or polos. Emma was 12 and Tammy 30 but acted much younger. I even had a visit from their old owner , came all the way from cornwall to melton mowbray. I bathed them , groomed them , had the farrier trim their hooves every 8 weeks and the vet to give them flu and tetanus jabs. They cost as much as small horses to keep but it was every penny well spent. I loved them both and could sit in the field with them when they laid down. Such softies and would not be separated for anything. They are much more cautious than horses which leads people to think they are stubborn , they weigh up a situation first before making a move , to be sure its safe...clever donks (f+ . Iwould love some now but dont have the time :cry:
Looove chucks!
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

OOh we went to the donkey sanctuary last year on holiday, we were in dorset, loved it there, spent hours there with them, also the swanery in abbotsbury, (think the spelling maybe wrong on both counts there) wonderful places.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
hunter001
Learner Laner

Post by hunter001 »

i would jut like to add...i love donkeys

Thanks for listening haha
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Can I just mention to anyone loving donkeys, visit Bank End Equine Rescue website (just google it).

Toni has a beautiful young donkey called Sherlock who was rescued from a sale. Have spent some time today in Selby with Toni and her family today, fund-raising for her organisation. Toni does a fantastic job of rescueing and rehabilitising horses and ponies.

If you love horses you know how much it is to keep one and Toni currently has about 22 horses, ponies and other assorted animals. Toni's partner Dave is in charge of the ex-battery hens.

Please, please if you can visit the website.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I love donkeys, and would love to have a couple to join my menagerie. I would prefer to have rescue ones really - to give them the chance of a nice life for the rest of their days.

I have been to view some young donkeys that were for sale, and fell in love with them ....but they were so expensive to buy - almost as much as my horses.

We have a couple of donkey sanctuaries near us. Before I moved, it was quite usual to see a crowd of children walking along the lane, and in the middle, would be a couple of donkeys they were taking for a walk.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

My sister used to have one a few years back, used to go in the house.

But it was a Big call in the end and they had to find another home, bit of a fad I think which went wrong. Even so, she adored him.

I think it entirely depends upon your situation and if you can afford it of course.
The shoulds and shouldn't are the same as any pet, mainly, who's going to look after it when you aren't there.
Chickens, easy, if worse comes to worse, neighbour just chucks a load of corn over the fence (bit exaggerated), but larger animals ?

Everyone's different, if you can do it, do it !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chickenpops
Lively Laner

Post by chickenpops »

I dont know much about donkeys but have 2 miniature shetlands that i drive and they are gorgeous, cheeky at times but that adds to their appeal, great with children and not at all nippy. I know some shetlands can be difficult, esp the standard shettie but it all depends on how they have been handled