Need advice............again!!

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Need advice............again!!

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Wendy. We feel as though we are betraying her even thinking as we are and we hope people will understand, although even if they dont, that is the way it will be as much as we dont want it.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Got back from vets at 7.15p.m. Lexi had a CT scan, xray of her chest and also an airway wash to the lungs.
CT scan showed up not one but three areas where ovary is present. First two were left and right side where ovaries would be and the third was the uterine stump which is in the vets opinion far too long! When we explained that the operation site for the pyo/spaying was very small he said that they could not possibly have been able to look round everything and would only have had room to, in his words, room to see much. There is no thickening of the intestines and no malignancy, so good news on this, but he did say that she had the most aggresive form of IBD and has recommended when we get the results of the lung test to put her on Cyclosporin (Atopica) 100mg once a day, which when first taken can cause vomiting and diarhea (sp), but should settle within a few days. At this point I couldnt take in anymore and didnt write much more down in my notes, but he did say that if these other tablets as above didnt work there was little else that could be done. I have read somewhere that a nasty prolonged infection could cause IBD which figures to me with the pyo and her being relatively OK before it, but cannot remember where I have read it!!
The chest xray was because she has been coughing since last Fri and she kindly reminded us by coughing all the way down there today. It showed that both lungs were in his words, 'fuzzy', so thats why he wanted to do an airway wash where they put liquid into the lungs and then draw it out again. This is to find out if she has poss bronchitis or some other infection, the results of which he will ring us with tomorrow. The lungs can be connected to the IBD and neither of us caught the next bit explaining why as our minds were racing.
First priority is to try to settle the IBD and we have 2 different kinds of kibble Purina HA light and Hills ZD which is a hydrolised diet. Where we go from from here will depend on the lung results tomorrow and if she will settle on this new diet and hopefully the new pills. So once again we are playing a waiting game. He said he could not operate on her re the abnormal areas in the tummy till the IBD was under crontrol as she has lost more weight and is down to 32kg now........
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry, just thought of this, he also said that the probs regarding the abnormalities where she was spayed would not in his opinion be causing the very runny poos. Also he said that he thought there were probably cystic tissue on the right side this is tubular in shape and the uterine stump which is near the bladder was 5 - 6cm in length which in his opinion was far too long.
Sorry for the long epistle, but both Clare and I feel like we have been through a whirlwind today........
wendy

Post by wendy »

Oh Dear God Gwen. It is like a horror story.
I am so, so sorry that Lexi and yourselves are having to go through this.
I do so hope tomorrow brings better news.
{hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I keep praying that we are soon going to wake up from this nightmare, Wendy. We are at our wits end at the moment and have discussed this morning whether or not to even try the new pills if she can have them.

She has eaten the Hills, Purina and had some soaked dry Chappie, also a tin of wet Chappie through the night and this morning, she is really, really hungry now. Vet said to give her what she will eat, when she wants it, but not in big meals, just trickle feed her, but she still has the runs this morning. Clare stayed up with her during the night and I will most likely do tonight if she is still not well, unless Clare wants to again.

I just hope the vet rings sooner rather than later re the lung test. Total, total nightmare.....
wendy

Post by wendy »

Lost for words. Just lots of love {hug} {hug}

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Dear Gwen, I have just read your last posts and feel for you all so very much. Don`t know what to say apart from what wonderful owners you are and how lucky Lexi is to have you to care for her, it must be heartbreaking for you all to see what is happening to her. Sending you all hugs and a very gentle one for a very brave Lexi {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks. {hug}

She is resting and looks really comfortable now, so everything crossed that it stays that way.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

What a nightmare for you all {hug} {hug} {hug}
LYN
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think tbh we need a HUGE miracle if she is to come through this. She has this morning as I am babysitting my grandaughter warned her with a growl, nothing more, but a growl non the less she must feel really ill to do that as her and grandaughter have had a fabulous bond till now.......
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Poor girl, she must be feeling so rotten to growl at her friend.
LYN
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Vet rang and no bacteria found in lungs, but they will carry on with the culture to see if anything turns up. We have started her on the pills tonight under his instructions, but he said she was seriously ill. She is still having the steroids but in lower doses and being weaned off them over a more prolonged period now than first decided.

If these pills dont work then there is nothing else we can do......if they do work she will be on them for life which isnt a problem. She will have anti sickness pills to help stop any vomiting which we will pick up from local vets tomorrow after vet from Herts has rung him a.m. If she is sick during the night, Clare has decided to stay up again, then we have to ring him first thing tomorrow morning. Apparently only 1 out of 4 dogs are sick and have bottom trouble.........watch this space.

But........this evening she has played with some toys, not for long admittedly, but played non the less and seems much more relaxed.
wendy

Post by wendy »

>fi< >fi< >fi<

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have had a good uneventful night, she is still eating and NO sickness........YAY.

Clare and I both feel a little more positive, but obviously from past experience we know we have these peaks and troughs, so still keeping everything crossed.

Thanks soooooo much for being so supportive guys, especially you, Wendy for putting up with me PMing you. Your a star, you really are. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Thanks for the updates. It does sound promising. But as you say you have been here before.
Each day at a time.
{hug} {hug}