every hour - all night

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

every hour - all night

Post by bmpsands »

Toby, cross bred aged just over a year, is a normally healthy and happy pup.

Last night I heard him moving about. He was compulsively licking his lips and when I put my hand out he started licking that really hard and fast. I took him outside where he ate grass but didn't throw up.

Since then he's followed a pattern of going outside, eating grass, coming back in, waking up licking his lips and then going outside again. This has been going on since 2am. He's asleep again now.

I can't see anything in his mouth, he hasn't had anything unusual to eat as far as I know and isn't drinking more than usual.

If this keeps up I'll take him to the vet, but any ideas out there?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: every hour - all night

Post by MissEllie »

Sorry to read youve had a troubled night Bea.
I'm afraid I don't have any good advice to offer other than agreeing with visiting the vet, hope everything's ok with him.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Sorry to read about your probs. My first thought was throat, dont know why.

Are all his toys in one piece, could he have possibly swallowed part of a toy and got an obstruction? Has he poo'd and is it normal, or does he feel hot/cold, is he coughing?

We discovered something we thought was quite interesting when we had Lexi. She was fed the BARF diet which included processed greens. When the IBD hit her she could no longer have that diet and we noticed she ate grass, but all the time she was on the BARF diet she didnt, so dont think they eat grass just because they are feeling poorly, but poss because they are lacking something in their diet. When you think of wild animals the alpha one always goes for the stomach contents which invariably includes greens and berries of some sort. We did ask the vet, but they didnt seem to know.

I hope he soon feels better and agree if no change then a vet visit. Will be thinking of you both. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Haven't a clue either.
Does sound like he needs to see the vet.
Let us know how you get on.
Hugs to the little fella.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

He's trying to encourage himself to vomit. Has he eaten anything (other than grass) that he shouldn't? Been drinking water from pond or somewhere? Oh re-read your post and see he hasn't.

Has he been showing any signs of discomfort or standing in a funny position?

If he is still doing it, it might be worth phoning vets for some advice or to get him checked out.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I took Toby to the vet at lunchtime. I couldn't stand the anxiety any more.

Vet said that the lip smacking indicated nausea, as did the grass eating. However, he'd eaten his breakfast and kept it down and had two more or less normal walks. He was a bit tired, but then so was I having been up most of the night.

Vet could find nothing wrong with him; throat, mouth, temperature abdomen etc all normal. We've got some Zantac for him and he's had his tea and isn't rushing out every hour any more. i hope we've turned a corner.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I know I'm a bit overprotective and could have given it all time to settle down but I'm always worried that if anything is wrong it needs catching early.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Glad he's doing better, hope you both sleep well tonight )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Mmm perhaps just a tummy ache.
The Zantac can't do any harm.
Glad he is feeling a bit better
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear you have had him checked out and hopefully both of you will get a better nights sleep.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks again for the support. Toby, and I, have had a good night. I'll give him one more dose of Zantac this morning if he shows any further discomfort. I've been up since 6 but he's still asleep. Bless!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Really pleased to hear that - all sounds very positive. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Glad to hear you both had a better night. Sleep is good. )t'