Never give up

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Never give up

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have a rabbit called, wait for it, Arnie. Named before we got him as he was a rescue from the R.S.P.C.A.
He was not the most social rabbit and is approx 7 yrs old now, we have had him for 5 yrs.
Every day I have tried several times to stroke him, mostly being unsuccesful. But over the last few weeks he has allowed this, culminating this morning with him eating and me stroking him :-D
I really cant begin to explain the warm fuzzy feeling I got when this happened :-D
I wonder if this means after all this time he finally trusts me?
What is it they say, everything comes to those who wait?
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Wow :-D Well done for being SO patient, you have been rewarded :-D

I love rabbits but they can be very bad tempered sometimes. When I was young we had a rabbit called Willow. She would growl like a dog and actually charge at you to attack! We never got her to the stroking stage but she was a real character :-D

Lucy x
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

I wish my guinea pigs would respond to me! When I put my hand in the cage they rush around like their end has come even though I've had them for almost four years! :shock:

I find that female rabbits can be quite vicious. I had one that used to attack me and growl whenever I went near.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Dont get me wrong, he still occassionally gives a grunt and lunges at me, but not very often now. )t'
Just got to work on the 8 ex batts now, only had them just over a year so have plenty of time LOL.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Gwen, what a lovely story! It really cheered me up :)
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Wow - 7 years old and you have been so patient, it must be lovely for him to respond well after all this time :-D

We got two rabbits a few years back, one male and one female, same litter. We kept them in separate hutches and runs for obvious reasons :razz:

Rene (the boy) was the most amazingly friendly chap, he would even come in the house, and he was litter trained )t' Sadly he got some spurs on his teeth and died at the vets having them taken off, we were heartbroken. He was only about 2.

His sister Fidget was the mardiest rabbit ever, which was sad cos my son had chosen her as his pet when we first got them (Rene was mine). She died very suddenly aged only about one year old which knocked my lad for 6 so I let him have Rene till we lost him too.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Awww thats sad Kate, your poor son, bless him.
Arnie had to go back to the vets every three months to have his teeth rasped, but has had it done so many times that he doesnt need to be put under, he just sits there.
Just a thought, our vet said if we fed just greens and no hard feed his teeth might possibly not need doing. She was absolutely right because the last time we took him to the vets they were fine and that was about six months ago.
We usually knew when they needed doing as he wouldnt eat as much.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thats how Rene got, we knew his teeth were bad when he stopped eating. He was such a healthy bunny and I think the vet was as shicked and upset as we were.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

My old bun was a chocolate rex, gorgeous to look at but a bit of a mismog to stroke. She too would growl and lunge, but I overcame my fear of being bitten by wearing leather gauntlets. Once she could see that I wasnt backing away, she gave up with the attitude. She became a very cuddly bun until the day she went over the rainbow bridge (f+ . Keep up the good work Gwen, it will pay off.
Looove chucks!