Shall I or shan`t I?

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Shall I or shan`t I?

Post by Spreckly »

It is so very bleak without Angel. After five solitary weeks, I am thinking seriously about looking for another dog. Shetland sheepdogs are not easy to come by. Puppies, yes, but adult dogs, no. My GP sadi straight away, get another dog, several friends have also advised the same.
So I am on the lookout.

Today I have my three monthly post cancer check up, the outcome will be the deciding factor.

Watch this space.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Shall I or shan`t I?

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} I can understand how it feels - when I lost my dog after 15 years, I remember how empty the house seemed. Not just missing the attention of her company but little things like feed and walk times were absent (surprising more than expected), or noises (breathing, snoring, moving around, squeaky toys among other things)

I decided not to get another dog because my circumstances had changed when I had her but she was older and used to coping with change and adapted, but I knew another dog wouldn't, and I certainly couldn't have coped with a puppy. That's when I had decided to get chickens - having the routine of looking after another animal (and being rewarded with fresh eggs) helped.

I'm sure you have already made enquiries with various rescue and rehoming places. Does it have to be another Sheltie? I hope you get some good news.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I know how it feels. I was lost without Pat - needed to get another cat ASAP.
I feel that cats are easier than dogs (and my daughter lives near and keeps horses next to my house so can feed on the few occasions when I can't, and I know she would take her if need be).
Hope the check-up goes well.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Firstly, I hope your check up went well.

Secondly, it is never easy deciding on getting a new dog. My BSD died when seventeen. Having had her from a pup, she was my constant companion travelling with me wherever I lived (even abroad), no matter what happen good or bad, she was there. It took me many years before getting another but we still had my partner's (rescue) dog in residence so our scenario was different.

Good luck with your decision and if you do decide to get another dog, I hope all works out for you (both).
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all. Yes, I have contacted both Sheltie Rescue, Sheltie friends, and also Rescue centres.

My check up was clear!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)t'
manda

Post by manda »

Spreckly wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 22:17 Thank you all. Yes, I have contacted both Sheltie Rescue, Sheltie friends, and also Rescue centres.

My check up was clear!
)c( )app( )c(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Still waiting to hear from the Rescue Centres. Adult shelties are hard to find, but I am still hoping.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

>fi<
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

On Saturday evening I had an email from Angel's previous owner. She had heard via another Sheltie breeder of a sable bitch, five years old. I was given the contact details for the owner, and phoned him on Sunday evening. I was busy all Sunday, or I would have phoned earlier.

Holly is everything I wanted. She is six, not five, sixteen inches at the shoulder, which is tall for a Sheltie, unspayed (so it will be a trip to the vet for examination and surgery later), quiet, friendly.

So that sounds good. The owner is parting with her because he feels he now has too many dogs. He shows Smooth Collies and Shelties. He told my friend's friend that he would only let her go to a good home.

As she is in South Lincolnshire, it will be a ninety odd mile trip there and back, and I am unable to drive anything like that distance nowadays, so my youngest son is taking me. We are going on Saturday morning, giving Holly chance to settle in back here.

I am a bit apprehensive, never having had a dog on my own. Ted had dogs from a young age, and was familiar with potential problems. But I will just have to cope.

My first Sheltie was called Holly, and I would prefer a different name. I am wondering if I can combine her current name with a new one and gradually fade Holly out. Has anyone any thoughts on this?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)t' Hope she is as good when you see her and you get on well together.
I don't know about dogs (always had cats) do you think it is the name they respond to or the tone of voice when you call them?
My grandson had 2 ponies both called Iggy, it didn't bother him, I think he called the second 'big Iggy'. Was Holly a Christmas pup?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

{hug} oh that is great news Spreckly. I'm so pleased for you.
Spreckly wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 09:18 I am a bit apprehensive, never having had a dog on my own. Ted had dogs from a young age, and was familiar with potential problems. But I will just have to cope.
I felt the same when I got my dog Pepper as all our other previous dogs had been family pets and she was the first I'd ever had on my own. She turned out alright. You probably know a lot more about dog behaviour than you think and it will come naturally from previous experience (unlike someone taking on a dog who had never had one before) The hardest bit is not to try and compare the new dog to the previous one as they all have their own personalities and quirks so will be a bit of a learning curve for the both of you, but I'm confident you'll be fine.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Spreckly wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 09:18 My first Sheltie was called Holly, and I would prefer a different name. I am wondering if I can combine her current name with a new one and gradually fade Holly out. Has anyone any thoughts on this?
You can change a dog's name at any age, same as normal training, use the new name and when you get a response, praise, treats and a fuss. She will soon learn.

We changed our LSGD's name after we got fed up using it having to correct her all the time when younger. When we she turned two we just dropped her old name and replaced it with her current one. It did not take long for her to respond to it.

Good luck and hope when you meet her all goes well.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have posted on another thread.

Mo, I agree with you, I told one or two people that I believe it is the owner`s voice as well as the name. I have been repeating Gracie, Gracie to her on many occasions.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Spreckly wrote: 01 Feb 2024, 21:38 I have been repeating Gracie, Gracie to her on many occasions.
You can "speed" up the recognition by also rewarding her when she responds (lots of praise, "good girl" and so on, and even a little treat the moment she looks at you when you call her name ... nothing makes a dog quickly learn new tricks more than when they are rewarded with something tasty!)