The BBC - the Bad Back Club!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Re: The BBC - the Bad Back Club!

Post by LisaB »

MissEllie wrote:Glad it's easing off at the moment but its not a good idea to take both diclofenac and ibuprofen as they could possibly cause some nasty side effects such as gastritis (inflammation in your stomach lining) and problems with your kidneys in some cases. Usually diclofenac is prescribed 50mg 3 times daily or ibuprofen 400mg 4 times daily so may be worth thinking about which works better for you and sticking with one regularly.
)t'

Thank you :-D
Just when I was given salfasalazine (sorry for the bad spelling) they knew I was on diclofenac and said that the pain should get better but if I need to take extra pain killers then do so, nothing about not taking ibuprofen +confused+
I'll probably stick to taking ibuprofen and using voltarol gel )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Miss Ellie is right. So do take care, Bev
Years ago I had a stomach ulcer and cannot take asprin etc.
Anyway when my back was bad I took ibruprofen, forgetting to take ranitidine which protects your stomach if taking such like. Stupid mistake
I am afraid I am having problems and think I have the ulcer back )gr: . So I have put myself on a 4 week course of ranitidine and see how it goes. If it doesn't clear up, then I will have to see the doctor )gr:
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

To be honest it's still not great to even take the gel if you're taking regular ibuprofen - sorry to be a total kill joy!! Even though it's not taken orally the gel can still affect your stomach. Can you take Cocodamol if you need something stronger?
Really hope the sulfasalazine works soon for you, it's usually good for your kind of pain.

Wendy, sounds like you def need to avoid the ibuprofen! Hope your tum settles down soon - i usually find the odd small glass of wine helps....purely for medicinal purposes.
Ellie x
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

MissEllie wrote:To be honest it's still not great to even take the gel if you're taking regular ibuprofen - sorry to be a total kill joy!! Even though it's not taken orally the gel can still affect your stomach. Can you take Cocodamol if you need something stronger?
Really hope the sulfasalazine works soon for you, it's usually good for your kind of pain.

Well I've been on salfasalazine for years, 6 a day, doesn't get rid of the pain.
I'm on naproxen too, but my heart burn seems to get worse when I take it, so I'm taking a break from it for now.
Sounds like I should go to the doctor to get some advice as they've never told me any of this before :?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Think it would be a good idea to speak to your doctor if you get a chance but please don't be too worried. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to give you a lot of advice about your pain (even though it's the one thing I know stuff about!) because I dont know your full history so your GP is definitely the one to speak to.
If the naproxen upsets your stomach then def avoid it - again it shouldn't be taken if you're on ibuprofen. You could always try speaking to your local pharmacist if it's easier than getting hold of the doc.
Hope this helps
Ellie x
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

If you really know about pain please PM me. )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Steve - have tried to pm you but never done it before so no idea if it got to you...
Woody Allen
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Got it and I've replied. )t'
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Hiya everyone, just thought I'd give a little update as haven't been whittering on for a few days! Thanks for all the posts about ibuprofen etc etc.

Had a horrendous start to the week after seeing that head physio at the NHS clinic. Went into work Tuesday and was in pain all day.

Had a long chat with my nice physio Tuesday night and felt better after that knowing that the other physio hadn't done even more damage.

Went to see him again (NHS guy) Wednesday and tried to think positive and be brave. It was awful especially as instead of just getting on with things and doing what he had to do, he kept hesitating, which in turn made me even more nervous. I have a terrible phobia of bones, cracking, etc etc and added to that I was still in pain and knew what he was doing would be painful too {cry}

Anyway after four attempts at his first procedure, I was shaking like a leaf, palms sweating the lot I asked him if he has something more gentle. Which he did, but he said it's not as effective!!! Honestly the 'bedside' manner of some people is just truly awful and he's a prime example of this {cry}

He did some other more torturous things and gave me some exercises to do. Then I went to see my nice physio and she did some deep tissue massage and ultrasound.

That evening my beauty lady came and did me a nice gentle massage which really helped me relax after all that.

Still got the pain in my lower left, hope one day it'll go >fi<

Tonight I'm seeing the husband of my nice physio - he's an oseopath and is interested in my case after seeing me on Tuesday night. I'm still a bit apprehensive.....

Will let you know how I get on.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

MissEllie wrote: i usually find the odd small glass of wine helps....purely for medicinal purposes.
Ellie x

This is the best cure I have heard in a long time. I will partake tonight )grin2(

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Honestly Wendy, the only thing that really kills my pain is wine!! )hic( )hic( {rofwl}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Got on okay last night, what a lovely chap the osteopath was. Really made me feel relaxed and at ease.

Between us we're now getting to the bottom of what my injury is. It's like a very badly sprained ankle but in my lower back, with several joints, muscles and nerves affected.

He didn't do any nasty torturous manipulations, in fact he said he would not have done any of that anyway!!!

I'm going back to see him again on Tuesday and then my nice physio on Saturday )t' in the meantime I'll be doing my gentle exercises I've been given.
Bev x

wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Glad your back is feeling better Bev, {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Aww Lizzie {cry} it's not better - think it's going to be a long haul. Still getting the pain but at least we know what we're dealing with )t' {hug}
Bev x