Animals are to lose their EU protection

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kitla
Legendary Laner

Animals are to lose their EU protection

Post by kitla »

This is not about political views, this is about animals, particularly farm animals and wildlife.
I'm horrified to read in a newsletter from CIWF (compassion in world farming) that they've had confirmation that the part of the eu treaty that recognised animals as "sentient beings" will not be moved into the uk law. This could have awful implications for the animal welfare rights that have been fought for over so many years.
Please DTLers keep an eye out for petitions to sign about this (the one CIWF sent me is postal), the bill will be read in parliament very soon.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Re: Animals are to lose their EU protection

Post by wendy »

Don't know much about laws. But I thought they were transferring them to our system, so they could cancel them, :?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

That's what the brxit bill going through parliament at the moment is all about - transferring EU legislation into UK law, but with powers that allow the executive (ie the government, not parliament) to then decide what to do afterwards ie to keep, to repeal or rewrite. The key point is that it will be without parliamentary oversight - this is why the bill is being called a 'power grab' and refered to as the Henry VIII powers.

So basically, the EU legislation concerning animal welfare could pass through to UK law, but then a minister will be able to quietly change that particular piece of UK legislation - say for instance, to satisfy lobbysists or whatever.

So yes, we definitely need to be signing any petitions that come across our desks on this one
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Michael Gove worries me !!!!

There are many areas where extra money is needed, this will obviously mean cut backs and lowered budgets on others.

I have great fear for our future wildlife. Years of actually getting somewhere, will it all be thrown down the pan !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

The UK has higher animal welfare standards than pretty much the rest of the EU already. Some things that folk might not be aware of is what can and cant be labelled as EU produce. The EU allows meat to be imported from a lot of countries around the world but not from others. For Instance you can not import chicken from New Zealand or Australia but you can from Thailand and I would argue that Thailand has much lower concern for animal welfare than either of the other countries.
Once imported, the meat can then be "processed" in the EU and labelled as EU produce. EU meat imports
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Certainly the EU laws on pork were less good than ours for a long while, and even when they changed they were not obeyed (though everyone had plenty of warning - years)
But we couldn't keep EU pork out, so our farmers had unfair competition. I always look for British.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

We do as well Mo, I always strive for UK produce unless you can't get it (Parma ham for instance). Not always the cheapest but worth it in my mind.
Bah Humbug