Plastics

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Plastics

Post by KathJ »

I've really been trying to make an effort to cut my plastics use where possible. No carrier bags anymore, I use hard soap instead of shower gel and a shampoo bar too. I've also invested in one of those fizzy drinks fizzers (if you know what I mean) to cut down on plastic bottles. I've stopped using cling film and either use old take away boxes for sandwiches and reuse them or beeswax coated wraps which are great. I feel like I'm doing my best but I do wonder what impact I'm really having on the planet when you look around at all the plastics that are still being used and you just wonder what could be used as an alternative }hairout{
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Plastics

Post by lancashire lass »

KathJ wrote:I do wonder what impact I'm really having on the planet when you look around at all the plastics that are still being used and you just wonder what could be used as an alternative

Sadly, everything is geared to convenience, single use and disposable rather than alternate, recycle and re-use. I was in Tescos early on Saturday and quite surprised to find the shop floor people were sorting the packaging into cardboard or recyclable plastics into designated trolleys as they were packing the shelves - this doesn't reduce the plastic generated but is just one example of changes being made by some companies to deal with the problem and recycle (remember, this would have all gone to landfill not that long ago so it might seem like baby steps) Sadly, too much is still packaged in plastic because of the convenience of keeping food fresh and safe for customers.

I get annoyed with the flimsy single use plastic bags at the fruit & veg stalls - one tip is to re-use but I like the idea of mesh bags (google reusable mesh bags uk) Instead of the zippered nylon mesh bags you can buy (although it is a more durable plastic), I'm sure fine cotton netting would be ideal which you can make yourself - make a draw string closure and take them with your usual shopping bags to put loose fresh fruit or vegetables in each one so the till girl can see the produce and weigh as normal. I bet once people see other customers doing that it'll quickly catch on, especially with those who are like-minded about reducing their own plastic waste.

I think this would be a great thread if other people could add their suggestions of non-plastic alternatives )t' I'm always looking for ideas myself.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Must be a case of great minds think alike as we decided at the weekend to cut down on our plastics which like you included using bars of soap to shower/bath/wash with instead of plastic bottles full of liquid soap etc.
We use loo roll/kitchen roll cardboard for germinating seeds and are now trying to grow as much of our veg/fruit as we can. I save lollipop sticks and use them as markers for seeds/plants instead of the plastic ones. We get apples/pears etc from just up the lane for 50p a bag which has approximately 8 - 10 pieces of fruit in each bag. They do put them in small plastic bags, but I always take my own shopping bag along, empty the fruit into it and leave their plastic bags to re-use again. This also saves on petrol as they are just up our lane.
I always wash and keep any foil dishes and then put my own pies/puddings in them and use plastic containers umpteen times for food to be kept in the freezer after a bake day.
Any cardboard boxes I use in the compost bins which rots down very well.
Newspaper although only one paper per week is put under the bedding for the chickens and then goes straight onto the compost.
Our refuse bags are recyclable too which will help, this is courtesy of our local council.
I do find that I seem to waste quite a lot of time reading as to what can go in which bin which if I am honest does annoy me at times though.
I would be interested in any other ideas that I could pick up on to do even more so will follow this thread.
manda

Post by manda »

We use natural made soap bars for washing, hair (shampoo and conditioner), I got some great charcoal and coffee scrub soap for the spotty teenager which I think work much better than anything out of a plastic bottle. We're in the process of selling up and moving to build but I plan in the future to have a go at making my own (just because I like learning things like that). Refill existing dishwashing liquid so the bottle gets reused again and again...I haven't tried dishwash soap bars (you put in a swisher thing) but that's my next buy or getting the bars and making liquid soap using them (but then I'd still need a bottle.

My toilet roll collection is legendary {rofwl} Used for the garden or stuffed with paper rubbish and used for fire lighters.

Reusable bags are great for shopping or boxes are all we have here now as we are lucky that New Zealand, this year, banned single use plastic shopping bags. I have had conversations with the sustainability manager for one of the coops that own 2 large supermarkets after I had a show down in the local supermarket...thankfully she made me feel much better for plans they have for sustainable packaging across the products and getting rid of as much plastic as possible....so there is hope (although I think I'm on a "list" at our local super!).
Reuse old net curtains for produce bags - they are cheap to buy at op shops and make great bags..

Here on June 1st all supermarkets on the North Island (I'm on the South) will let people take their own containers so they can take things like their deli meats home without using plastic bags ...mind you I will be interested to see what they use to weight the produce on before they put it into the container....I really hope it's not a plastic sheet otherwise what was the point.

It's a start and the more people demand it from them the more they will provide it.

Beeswax wraps rather than sandwich bags ...use old material give it a good wash then coat it...it's really easy to do or there are more people selling them now and they last for ages.

I read something the other day which I thought summed it up really well....it doesn't need one person to do it perfectly it takes everyone to do it imperfectly. The more people we can get doing it imperfectly to start with the better. So good on you keep on keeping on )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wendy

Post by wendy »

Exactly what I thought this morning. When on the TV came a bit about Ice in Greenland.
I try hard to do my bit. But is it doing any good, I wonder ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I like the idea of net bags to take shopping for fruit & veg, I've seen them online, some cotton some not, but if reusable it doesnt matter too much. I tried to change from pump soap to blocks but in some places I ended up with grubby cracked bars, very offputting, so am planning to buy a couple of refillable pumps (lots at Dunelm) & turn bars into liquid soap. There's lots of online guidance on doing this. Sadly though every bit helps I'm sure, the main problem with plastics - particularly in the oceans, comes from several massive rivers in the world, 3 of them (I think) in China from heavily populated areas.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

kitla wrote:Sadly though every bit helps I'm sure, the main problem with plastics - particularly in the oceans, comes from several massive rivers in the world, 3 of them (I think) in China from heavily populated areas.

I think the problem is global - while catching up with my old school friends from way back in South Africa, I was saddened when I saw images of Durban harbour and the beaches covered in plastic litter (they recently had huge floods not related to the recent Mozambique cyclones: Plastic pollution after the floods) It was a shocking sight and totally blighted my childhood memories of pristine beaches and bushland.

I've been giving the climate change / plastics problems some thought - although it is good that the images of the destruction presented by the problems globally are highlighted, I can't help feeling however that there is a serious risk of overload and it eventually becomes a "yeah yeah yeah" thing. I really would like to see more promotion of positive actions by groups and individuals so that other people can get ideas and see the opportunities to do things right instead of feeling depressed of how bad things are.

manda wrote:We use natural made soap bars for washing, hair (shampoo and conditioner), I got some great charcoal and coffee scrub soap for the spotty teenager which I think work much better than anything out of a plastic bottle. We're in the process of selling up and moving to build but I plan in the future to have a go at making my own (just because I like learning things like that)

I've made cold pressed soap and you'll love having a go - it's really very easy once you get past the scary thought of using sodium hydroxide with fats and oils, but once you've cured your first batch you'll want to make more and try different recipes but I would recommend a good book to follow first before getting too adventurous. Different fats and oils have qualities which either give the soap a creamy lather, a bubbly one or none or all, and of course other ingredients give texture, colour and scent (using different essential oils in combinations) The biggest problem is finding shops that sell all the ingredients which are affordable and safe to use. Chocolate soap - so tempting to dip your finger in the soap mix and have a taste but don't - was one of my favourite and easy recipes (I meant to try adding some peppermint essential oil or orange oil to "spice" it up next time), and layering with different colours can be interesting too.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've always been 'frugal' (or is that 'mean'). In my childhood we had to be as my father was a badly paid hospital cook and wanted to pay off the mortgage as quickly as possible. I remember piles of used matches by the side of the cooker to light one ring from another.
I do use bars of soap, then the little ends go in an old shampoo bottle with a little water to use them up.
It annoys me that I can't reuse plastic carrier bags in the freezer for long, after a few years they turn into a shower of snowflakes. A few years ago they 'solved' the problem of non-biodegradability by adding something that makes them break down, but the plastic is still there, just smaller bits so harder to deal with.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I also do my utmost to reduce the use of plastic but sometimes despair at the lack of care from big companies. I notice that circulars and small catalogues are now sent in plastic wrapping. The argument for that being that paper envelopes mean that too many forests are being decimated. So annoying when most of them are binned and they are paper of course. I have just cancelled a catalogue that is sending me so much post in plastic.
I just wish that food shops would go back to unwrapped food where possible as it was years ago. Not convenient for many but they would soon get used to it. Most of what goes into my rubbish bin comes from packaging. Don't know what the answer is if different governments around the world won't get and work together in order to save this planet and all that live on it.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I was given some plastic bags made of potato starch & apparently compostable. Some of the "compostable" stuff needs industrial type composters to break down but I've stuck some of these bags in our compost bin amongst the grass clippings to see if it will really break down.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
manda

Post by manda »

LL I am looking forward to having a go at soaps ...going to have to be patient though ...timing is all wrong for it to happen any time soon but hopefully once the house is sorted (and the new one built) I'll get onto it :-D

I'm surprised that so many things are still sent by mail that could be sent by email. I wonder why banks send you stuff and don't use the message part of their site on your account more....that alone would would save huge amounts of paper and envelopes.

I think plastic is one of things that the reduction of is now becoming fashionable....we don't have to be perfect but if we ask better of the stores they will have to do better...or we vote with our feet. I got sick of our local store ...one day I walked in and was greeted with a wall of wrapped lettuces ...and I just had enough. I had a long conversation with the Produce Manager who was an absolute arse and so I complained....and then walked out and went somewhere else. It was only the conversation with the companies Sustainability Manager who took the time (almost an hour) to talk to me that let me see what they are doing behind the scenes. I've been back there and I am that woman taking the wrapping off the cucumbers and making a point in front of everyone that I'm doing it.....or I walk out and go to the local veggie shop and buy one without wrapping.

If the other companies are doing the same with plastic / sustainable packaging (and you can bet they are) then there is hope.
Naked Veggies" are the thing here in NZ now but they need to get a shift on and actually do it rather than using it as a competitive tool. In the meantime we have to just keep telling them what we want as customers and walking if we don't get it.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

manda wrote:I'm surprised that so many things are still sent by mail that could be sent by email. I wonder why banks send you stuff and don't use the message part of their site on your account more....that alone would would save huge amounts of paper and envelopes.

(i) you can request to have your mail by post or email - such as bank and utility statements, car insurance and so on. Quite a lot are encouraging paperless statements these days
(ii) some companies desperate for your business send you regular paper copies of their catalogue even though you have only done internet shopping with them (seed suppliers are quite naughty)
(ii) junk mail is the stuff that Royal Mail get paid to distribute to people who do not want or ask for it
(iv) some companies just keep sending you advertising even though you were never a customer and don't ever want to be - Virgin Media has quite possibly demolished half the world's woodlands by posting advertisements to my house at least once if not twice EVERY SINGLE WEEK FOR THE PAST 17 YEARS, all because the previous owners of my house had cable tv through what was then NTL (I've never ever had cable tv in my life) I've had reps knock on my door because they've seen the box on the driveway and I told them I wasn't interested and would they please stop sending me junk mail. I swear blind it instead doubled.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I tried to stop junk mail. But it seemed complicated - I think I would have had to drive somewhere and sign something rather than doing it by phone or email. Suppose I should look at it again to see if anything has changed.

What annoys me is the fact that, because I've advertised myself as a Ceilidh caller on any free listings site I could think of + Thompsons & yellow pages phone books I get a lot of mail, & phone calls trying to sell my business things like stationary, pens, shelving, etc. etc
manda

Post by manda »

We do have all our statements by email but the insurance company seem hell bent on sending paper copies despite me saying I would rather have them electronically ...I don't get it....same with the local council and their rates...
I'd happily have everything by email. The ironic thing is that when we get paper anything I scan it anyway and "file" it remotely just in case we had a fire or something so I could at least access it.

We are lucky we have mail boxes here and pretty much if you put a no junk mail sticker on then you don't get it...so all I have to do is remember to unsubscribe whenever I get on a mailing list - I'd rather do that than have piles of paper descending.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

manda wrote:I'd happily have everything by email.

Me too, until I need proof of identity and haven't got a recent bank or utilities statement with my name and address on (which was also a problem when all the bills came to Jim)