Plastics

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
manda

Re: Plastics

Post by manda »

Mo wrote:
manda wrote:I'd happily have everything by email.

Me too, until I need proof of identity and haven't got a recent bank or utilities statement with my name and address on (which was also a problem when all the bills came to Jim)

The power and phone company here do your bill online and it reads the same as a hard copy bill so if you needed to you could print one off for proof of identity but otherwise it stays online and no paper is needed.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

So 2 news reports this week of countries in SE Asia sending illegal shipments of plastic "recycling" back to the wealthy nations that it came from. Good for them, something's got to change soon
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote:So 2 news reports this week of countries in SE Asia sending illegal shipments of plastic "recycling" back to the wealthy nations that it came from. Good for them, something's got to change soon

actually the real reason for the Canada shipment is not about returning plastic (which the Philippines were willing to accept to recycle) but it contained household waste https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48455440

Officials in the Philippines first raised the waste issue with Canada in 2014, saying that containers of mislabelled rubbish had been shipped between 2013 and 2014.

Manila says the containers, which arrived at Manila International Container Port, were said to contain recyclable plastics but actually held tonnes of household waste.

Still a disgusting way to try and offload waste of any kind to another country to deal with instead of dealing with the original problem of the plastic generation in the first place
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

here's more on Malaysia fighting back
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/28/asia ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asi ... e-returned" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If nations cant deal with it themselves, and cant send it away, we're going to have to stop producing so much! ….unless we start sending it into space {warn} (shudder)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Ours is only a very little bit. We use cut up margarine cartons for plant markers. As we have accumulated masses of plant pots (sorry, they are plastic), over the years, OK recycles them, and the little seed trays, giving them a good wash after use.

We rarely get a carrier bag nowadays, but those we do get are recycled for waste to go in to the green bin. As we have an open fire in our living room, we use envelopes and leaflets to light it with. When this supply dwindles, we ask our neighbour for her old newspapers.

A lot of our stuff is burned on the fire.

Don't get me started on Bank statements. Our Bank sends our statement on email, and also through the post. Really thick paper, and too many sheets. These do not light very well either!

I always get more mileage from the washing up liquid bottle by taking the top off and adding water. Similar with the toothpaste tube, I cut the top off and eke out what is in the area under the top. For pre-washing stained garments, I use Morr....n's version of Fairy soap.

There is an ad on TV at present, can't think what it is for, but it is a re-fillable liquid substance, available in a plastic container!

Must try harder!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

. Our Bank sends our statement on email, and also through the post.

I am with First Direct and you have the option to stop paper statements.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Grannyof4 wrote:. Our Bank sends our statement on email, and also through the post.

I am with First Direct and you have the option to stop paper statements.

I think most banks give you the option, you can update your preferences when you log in. If yours doesn't maybe you could nag them about it on theor Twitter page, they don't like bad publicity.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Looking forward to the new programme with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Monday I think) looking at reducing plastics. May get a few good ideas )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

KathJ wrote:Looking forward to the new programme with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Monday I think) looking at reducing plastics. May get a few good ideas )like(

)like(

The problem with plastic waste is that unless you radically switch products that do not use them for packaging (and sometimes the alternate products are either more expensive or for whatever reason you might not want to use them), you have to deal with the plastic. I have made an extra effort to be more sustainable and eco friendly this year with lots of mini projects on the go but the plastic packaging has been the most difficult. Someone mentioned "eco bricks" and after looking it up, it is a great way to deal with most plastic waste:

BBC news

Families online

Ecotricity - how to make an ecobrick and where to drop them off for community projects link to a searchable site
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Wow, those ecobricks look really interesting )like(

You're right, sometimes there no alternative to buying something wrapped/packaged using plastics. You wonder what we all did before it was used I such quantities +f+
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
manda

Post by manda »

KathJ wrote:Wow, those ecobricks look really interesting )like(
You're right, sometimes there no alternative to buying something wrapped/packaged using plastics. You wonder what we all did before it was used I such quantities +f+

The Ecobricks are something that I have huge mixed feelings about. On the one hand they are absolutely a solution for putting to use in a positve way something that has really nothing positive about it from an environmental point of view.....BUT.....because you knew there had to be one )grin2(

Soft plastic recycling (I see Peskos are doing this and sending it off to be recycled in Sweden) is something that lets the big companies give the appearance of being environmentally responsible without them having to actually do anything to change their packaging in store and in turn doesn't make people have to look at their own plastic use, in fact they will think nothing of it because they can rationalise in their heads that something good is coming out of it...an Ecobrick great...right?
Now if there are initiatives like this AND the manufacturers/retailers and customers look at how they can reduce the amount of plastic coming into their homes then it is a positive thing....but sadly unless people are interested in reducing their plastics then all it does is give those businesses / people a (false) feel good factor that they're doing something good whilst the main problem just keeps on being the problem.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

manda wrote:Now if there are initiatives like this AND the manufacturers/retailers and customers look at how they can reduce the amount of plastic coming into their homes then it is a positive thing....but sadly unless people are interested in reducing their plastics then all it does is give those businesses / people a (false) feel good factor that they're doing something good whilst the main problem just keeps on being the problem.

I would agree whole heatedly with everything you wrote especially attempts to reduce plastic coming into the home in the first place - so no more plastic shopping bags, avoid all single use plastic items, buy loose fruit & veg (use your own container/bags) and so on and so forth. Until suppliers/retailers are pushed into using alternate sustainable packaging one way or another, then the problem of plastic waste is never going away. I would much rather feel good about ensuring my personal non-recyclable waste doesn't go into landfill/end up in oceans and know that the ecobrick has alternate uses than do nothing at all. For my first attempt, it takes a lot of plastic (and time) to fill a bottle so I know it won't be for everyone.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I glimpsed a bit of this evening's program. With Hugh Fearnley-whatsit

They said look at ALL the plastic in your home.

I try very hard not to get anything with plastic, unless I have no choice.
But BOY.
Coffee Machine x 2, Kettle, lots of the dish washer, lots of the fridge, lots of the washing machine, lots of the freezer, lots of the TV, lots of the computer. Light switches, plugs...
This is without things that have hidden plastic apparently

When you look at that lot. What is this 1 person doing to the planet ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

On my desk now is a form of plastic mouse mat, a mouse, highlighter pen, files with plastic covering, plug, two pens with plastic tops and no doubt plastic inside to hold the ink. poo bags (do not ask why they are on my desk) mobile phone which I am sure the numbers/letters are some form of plastic. The computer, printer and screen which I have only just noticed. This all on an area of about 6' x 2'.

Frightening...……..
wendy

Post by wendy »

{cry}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning