Hen Rehomers UK

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: Hen Rehomers UK

Post by AL37 »

Thanks Wendy, They are all spending their first night of freedom on fresh straw waiting for their new lives to start tomorrow when they are collected. )t'
And thankyou also Perchy, {hug} but its the lovely people who are giving them new homes who should be blessed. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]

perchy

Post by perchy »

They will be Al, tenfold )t'
lu1506
Learner Laner

Post by lu1506 »

mine have just discovered the joy of a few mealworms for supper :-D
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

yay! well done everyone!
battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Well done all, another sucessful day )t'

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
tim2
Learner Laner

Post by tim2 »

Thanks for all your hard work guys.

Our 2 are home and settling in, scratching and pecking at everything as if they've done it all their lives! And we got an egg this evening!!! :-D

Cheers,

Tim.
BenNevisMad
Lively Laner

Post by BenNevisMad »

Just to give anyone looking for new homes for chooks, I could eaily take on 6, I am in central Scotland.
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

We left the house at 4.30am this morning, fed and watered my many hens, and other livestock, and finally got in the house again at 11pm.

It was worth it though, when I saw all the lovely people arrive to collect their hens.

Very tired now ....... :-D
Brakersway
Lively Laner

Post by Brakersway »

My 3 new girls appeared at around 1 this afternoon. The poor things are in a dreadful state compared to the ladies I recieved in the may rescue. The hardships that battery hens go through really hit home when I lay my eyes on them.
My last lot ate and drank as soon as I let them out the cage, but these ones took hours before they were tempted to investigate the water bowl.
But by 6pm, they were happily investigating there new home and seemed to be drinking ok. One of them tried to have a full on fight through the mesh, with B***h, my top resident hen. And seemed to do pretty well before i split them up.
I may have to put up a second fence, to keep the resident girls from making full contact with the fenced in new girls.
But 3 of my posh girls, hopped the fence this evening and bedded down with the new girls in the small coop, so i guess they will fit in nicely until they have perked up a bit.
Many thanks to everyone who took part today. And many thanks to Jeanette and partner who delivered my girls for me! {hug}
If you try to fail and succeed.
What have you done?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Looks although once again everything is going well and we all look forward to more stories, especially from those getting ex-batts for the first time.

Good on everyone,

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lu1506
Learner Laner

Post by lu1506 »

Got my 4 bantams to bed first & then let the battys in & all was ok over night. Got 2 eggs this morning & so far they are all getting along.

On the down side my polish frizzle cockerel found his voice so I think he will need a new home :(
lizz79
Lively Laner

Post by lizz79 »

My 5 girls are settling in the coop, i had a spy and 4 are all up on their feet nosying round, but ones laid down at the back, i can see her head moving, im hoping shes just resting. It was a really lovely feeling bringing them home cant wait to spend our days together! {hug} We have named them Queenie ( shes the biggest looks in better condition than the others) geraldine,jemmima,alice and Dolly.

2 Quick questions, how long should i leave them to settle in and how long till i give little tit bits, ive bought them some dried mealworms to try.
lizxx
A hug is like a penny on the ground, not really worth much until you really need one!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi Lizz, pleased to hear you have your new chooks! )t'

Personally, I would leave them to settle in for a day or so, let them just get used to their new environment, its all new to them, yesterday morning they were in cages, they've been taken out of the environment they've know for about last year, transported and then placed in a strange situation.

Treats for hens should be just that - a treat. I'm sure you could give them a few today. I don't overdo the treats cos they'll get to the point where they will badger you for treats.
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
lizz79
Lively Laner

Post by lizz79 »

Hi thankyou x I will leave them alone, let them settle in and give them a treat when they look like they are feeling alittle happier, thanks again liz x
A hug is like a penny on the ground, not really worth much until you really need one!
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Lizz, they'll be happy hun, you've given them a lovely home! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/