Post by Citrine »

I cried at the beginning!!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hugh's Chicken Run

Post by AnnaB »

Very upsetting

Did other people notice or it is just me - the supermarkets are responsible for the overweight problem in this country?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Of course they are....
their excuse for meeting public demand is a load of old tosh - if it werent for Supermarkets, the food would nt be as cheap, and people wouldnt buy so much (..if you get my drift). The public will only buy cheap food because its there!
AND we're getting more americanised - bigger packs of things etc. Look at 'AMerican' freezers - they make them so big so that they get filled up.
I could rant for hours.... )de: but am so annoyed I know Im not making too much sense!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Absolutely hated it, particularly when they just threw those day old chicks onto the floor out of the boxes. Make no bl**dy wonder they had some that had bad legs!!
Amazing how NONE of the supermarket bosses including M & S wanted to meet up with Hugh dont you think?
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Absolutely bloody excellent programme. Can't wait for tomorrow's show. Particualrly enjoyed the bit where Hugh was asked to leave T---co's!! As the Aussies say "Good on you Hugh".

It looks as if surprise, surprise none of the supermarkets want to meet him (wonder why??)

I'm afraid that the shopping habits displayed by some of the people interviewed and appearing just further demonstrate the terminal laziness of a large percentage of the population!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

But is it the 'lazyness' of the general public?? Its there, cheap as anything, its no wonder the chicken (and other meat, lets not forget!) get a raw deal. If the supermarkets didnt offer meat at such low prices, the public wouldnt be able to purchase it.

Am getting angry, so i think Ill just watch this thread until I calm down!!!

Oh, and I think that Channel 4 are fantastic for showing these programmes - lets hope it gets the message across to those that need educating, and that it wasnt just people like us who already have a very good idea what goes on that watched it..... )de:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I've just got home, so about to watch it now.

The site is going silly, so many people viewing today.

So apologies for any slow loading - it's blowing the fuses !!!!

Looks good - and more to come.

My thoughts on the way home were on the thousands upon thousands of chickens (and other creatures) in appalling places with absolutely no knowledge about why they were put on this planet.

Speak soon,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

Been out all evening, tomorrow as well. But they are being recorded. So I will watch it soon.
The way the male chicks are treated is appaling also. As with those males that are born for the battery birds. Thrown into dustbins for the lower down ones to die of suffocation.
It is all a question of time. The males have cruelty and die within a day or so. Broilers are cruelty treated for a number of weeks. The battery girls go into the cramped sheds until Point-of-Lay and they are stuffed into small cages for anything from 15 months to two years and are then killed. Disgusting or what ??
Oh mans inhumanity.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

I'll be interested to see how the program develops. I was disappointed
at HFW's theatrics when the pressure mounted. It was all his idea (or
so we are lead to believe) so why rush everything and be under such
pressure? Of course that brings a bit of drama to the program.

Thought the allotment chicken set-up looked good. I'd like to be able
to afford such nice chicken coops and fencing - to say nothing of
having that amount of land available. I'm afraid that if HFW is going
to suggest that people on low incomes can raise their own free range
hens for meat/eggs he'd have been better off starting with a realistic
budget. 52 (weeks) x £5 (2 chickens from Tesco) = £260. I wonder what
sort of set-up he'd have managed with only £260 in his purse... and
then there is buying the hens, feed, straw.... would he be able to
provide meat and eggs for a year?

I do think this and JO's program are going to do a lot of good in
spreading the word - it's just a shame that I've been left feeling
somewhat cynical from this first program. Tomorrow may be different.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Tania
You've looked at it from a totally different point of view - and its good to see that there is still healthy sceptiscism (spelt incorrectly!) around!
Some good observations though - but do you think that the community would of been interested in the scheme if they had to make the coop etc. themselves?
I understand the monetary side of things, but in the 'olden' days before supermarkets, our predecessors managed.
Its because we live in an 'instant' society, if what we want is not available immediatley, or throw awayable (is there such a word?!) then there is the 'we wont bother' attitude.
Look at the way people coped in the war years - if you couldnt grow it or make it, then you went without. Maybe our society today could do with an injection of the War years attitude.
Lo
Lively Laner

Post by Lo »

well I must hold my hands up to although sort of knowing about 3 years ago how broilder and battery chickens have been kept to not really worrying. After this time, not sure what got through to me but realised that actually this wasn't a good way for any sort of breathing thing to live. We now only buy free range. Of course I have recently started keeping chickens myself so this does help you understand things a bit more, which is what I think Hugh is trying to do. At the end of the day though if people (and some of my family are these people) feel that they are not in a position to afford free range chickens, then programmes like this can help to open their eyes to what they are eating but will not put money in their purses to buy them. It's got to be down to the bigger food chains to help here.

Lo
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

I think that you have to realise that the programme is obviously edited in a way to create drama. I also don't think that he is expecting low income families to be able to create an "ideal" set up just like that. I agree entirely with Geddauk's comments about older generations making do. Throwing money at a situation isn't always the answer (unless of course you are the "ringleader" of the allotment bunch with her request for a brand new storage shed!)

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I thought it was excellant and very much look forward to more because I think that seeing the density of the 'farm' when full will really kick home.
I'm also glad they haven't cut out the swearing - because most of us would in those situations.

I hope Hugh fixes a job for the Irish fellow. Don't think he'll be flavour of the month for many !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome