Ex-Battery Chickens - a worrying time ?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Ex-Battery Chickens - a worrying time ?

Post by Richard »

I didn't have time to go to the Farm Suppliers for my Feed today, so popped into that big well know Pet Store (name with held for obvious reasons).

I happened to say to the nice young lady at the Counter how much the feed had increased, she agreed. I asked if it could be something to do with the demand as so many people are getting chickens now.

To my surprise she said that so many people were trying to get rid of them, especially ex-batts and told me to look at the Notice Board where I saw four cards showing complete chickens+pen and some chicken on their own to give away. Three of these cards were ex-batts.
She said they were just the one's who had come back and put them there.

It gave me a bit of a 'responsible' head I have to admit. I promote chicken keeping, especially ex-battery hens.

Fair's fair, I do have pages on the warnings and not to rush into either getting them in the first place or (especially) adding more to the flock.
Only last year I had personal experience of three people who came unstuck, one had picked up hens without even having a house ready. "I haven't told the OH yet, I'm getting him to build something tomorrow". They were going in the garden shed on a temporary basis.
I heard a few weeks later they had passed them onto a Vet, because of their four dogs and the mess they had to clear up.

Then there was an occasion where, although given much warning, someone lost twelve in the car going home on a really hot day. They still had a total of 20, but found homes for them later because they got two eggs a day.

Finally, another who had two already, but added six. After the normal pecking order routine, they found that it meant cleaning out twice as often and their garden was ruined - don't know where they are now..

So, where am I going to on this ?

I don't doubt anyone on this Forum is in the slightest way irresponsible, you wouldn't have joined - and joined in - if you were.
It's those who don't join this Forum, Wendy's or any other that worry me.

Is it a bit of 'Dogs aren't just for Christmas'.

All I'd say is that should people visit you and they're a bit of a 'on the whim' types, make sure they are fully genned up and if you're worried, talk them out of it and wait a bit.

We can't expect the ex-batt charities and rehomers to 'vet' homes beforehand, it's just too bigger a problem and they're doing an amazing job, but I think, the worries I shared with a few others 18 months ago after HFW and Jamies TV programmes maybe coming about.

Please don't see this as a negative post, it has to be a positive one. I know all of you care and love your chickens. It's like we not only have a responsibilty to our chickens, but others as well.

Just sharing a concern I have.

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Ex-Battery Chickens - a worrying time ?

Post by Mo »

Yes, people do need to think before they get them. Which is why I always take the cautious side in any thread about getting more hens. Easy to say 'go on you know you want to', but not always for the best. I went up from 3 to 5 to 6 over a few years, but am back down to 3 because 2 of the 6 got pecked. And I think you had more at one time than now, Richard.
Crowding seems to me to be a cause of some of the problems people have with hens, even though they are far less crowde than in a battery cage.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have to agree with you entirely Richard. There have been times when I have some concerns about people jumping in with both feet. Fortunately until two days ago I hadn't heard of anyone thinking of rehomeing their hens.
This lady was expecting her first baby and had concerns over health ect...understandable. But we have managed to alay her fears and get her to keep them and see how it goes.
As you say it isn't those on forums, but those who get them and don't find out anything about them.
But it is appalling that the hens are on notice boards for new homes. A lot of it is see it ,want it, got to have it. Whereas when you and I got our hens we had to wait for them. As rescues were not as frequent.
I had to wait from June until October 31st for my first hens. That gave us plenty of time to get things ready, but equally be completely sure this was what we wanted and not get them on a whim.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

A good post Richard.

I have always wanted chickens but am a bit of an air head at the best of times and often act on a whim without thinking things through :oops: I always just assumed that I'd never really have the opportunity to have chooks as we only have a fairly small garden.
It was on a visit to my sister-in-law who has a field with loads of them that my idea came to fruition. She was chicken sitting for a friend who had 4 chooks in an eglu. And I thought "Wow! I could fit THAT in my garden!" :-D I pleaded with hubby who just laughed and said "No way" )gr:

My sister-in-law proceeded to tell me how easy they are to look after, how they don't make a mess (hers always look clean as they have a huge area) and it's a myth that they attract rats :? We were totally sold on the "easiness" of it all so it came as a HUGE shock how much work they really entail :shock:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be without them now as they are part of the family but there have been several times when I have thought I'd made a big mistake. If I'd known how hard I'd find it in the beginning I may well have had second thoughts :?

Lucy (f+
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have the t-shirt, I started with two and a year later had 33 at one time, far too many and much hard work - but I stuck it out.

For my set up, although I could easily have about 25 now, I feel 7 - 10 is easiest to maintain and live with around my lifestyle.
After all, you need about 500 'goodens' to make a Cottage Industry.

One thing I would like to amend from my post is, not to 'talk people out of it' but outlay the hard times as well as the good, or give a fair picture etc.

I have two pages on this......

1. http://www.downthelane.net/before-keeping-chickens.php

2. http://www.downthelane.net/before-adding-more-chickens.php

It's just when I saw the posters and listened to the Lady, I couldn't help feeling kind of responsible. It's made me quite down I have to say.

But - all on here are good honest chicken keepers, be proud of it !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

I know exactly how you feel Richard,as a newcomer to chicken keeping (although ponies are no cakewalk )j; )I felt obliged,(on behalf of the chooks)to disuade my sis- in- law from re homing some ex batts :oops: .She and my b-in-law both work irregular and long hours, they have a small garden that backs on to fields(prime fox territory :shock: )She hadnt thought about foxes confused>She just thought it would be" nice" to rescue them :!: I am not sure that she didnt question my motives for disuading her cos she feels i know very little about it(true enough :) )But she too was keen to jump on the band wagon that hugh and jamie support with very little thought for the actual care involved(they do have cats) and consider themselves to be "country folk" :razz: and thought chooks were cute )ch( .... )cn(
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
dogcatcher
Longlasting Laner

Post by dogcatcher »

It's not just the ex-batts that cause this problem. It's also the first time chicken raisers from eggs who suddenly realise that these dozen nice fluffy little things are going to turn into full grown hens. I keep getting offered chicks or fertile eggs "which you must want because you keep chickens". I keep a wife, that doesn't mean I want a shed full :!:
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t' Good thought dogcatcher.
Wendy

Richard

Post by Richard »

A very good point there about 'rescue'.

Most families, Mum, Dad and two kids, would only probably need 6 hens, assuming they lay 2/ 3 a day.
But we see these poor things, so can take in more than we need, or cope with.

Maybe we (and I) have to realise that we can only do so much around our lifestyle and 'infrastructure'. The thought of 'if I don't take in another five, another five will die' kicks in.

It's a real dilemma isn't it.

Hats off to all those on here who actively involve themselves in rescues, it must be not only time consuming, but very traumatic to see what you do.

But, I'm sure that like me you find all your friends find you a bit 'mad' to have chickens anyway and seeing how many pets some of us have - maybe they're right !!!!

(dogcatcher - too right and they don't realise how many may not be 'ladies' !!)
crystalj
Longlasting Laner

Post by crystalj »

I totally agree with everything that's been said, I also think doing alot of research wouldn't go a miss.
Yes there is that point "we think if we don't get more they will be killed" but then again you have to think about your situation and if it is realistic to get more.
By getting the amount you want, they establish a pecking order but if you get more they have to go through this all over again and it might be that one or two might get injured or even worse and how would you feel then?
Love Joan.X
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Some very good points have been made. I didn't know anything about keeping chickens before I came on here. Now I know a bit, I have no intentions of keeping any, no thank you very much. :shock:

Ilona
Lady Bountiful
Lively Laner

Post by Lady Bountiful »

Excellent thread here. I've just lost my ex-batts - one to sickness and 3 to a fox. I'm totally devastated by the loss and am having a long, hard think about how to manage chickens in future.

I definitely want ex-batts again, and I want them to free range, so I need to electric fence off an area of my garden (which is quite big, luckily). It's a question of being realistic. They are fabulous creatures, but they are hard work. I don't mind the work at all, but it would be a lie to say they are "easy".

I also have 2 springer spaniels. I adore them, but they need 3 walks a day, rain, shine, snow, high winds - doesn't matter if I'm in the mood or not, they need walking. I've been involved with volunteering for rescues and have to conclude that a lot of people imagine dog owning = walking them occasionally in glorious sunshine and that they magically train themselves. I read 17 books about dog training etc before getting the springers and still had a shock. :shock:

Still, I wouldn't be without them and if anyone asks what's it like owning a springer, I tell them exactly what it's like. :)
Beer ..... helping ugly people have s.ex since 9000BC
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

Some really good posts on this subject. Thanks for raising it Richard.

I have several people at work who are talking about getting chickens. I suggest they come round to see my lot (before I have cleaned them out) then I let them free-range for a bit so they can see how enthusiastic they like to garden! It has put a few people off, which I would rather have than them get them, then go off the idea.

I home check for rescued dogs, and again I have to be realistic, especially with first-time dog owners. I let my dog go in wet if it`s raining, climb the stairs, and even relieve himself in the garden so they are made aware of what owning a big boisterious, hairy, muddy dog involves. I then suggest they offer to dog sit for a friend for the weekend. If it turns out it`s not for them, then they haven`t committed themselves and upset the kids.

We have had posts here from people finding they need to rehome their hens. I think it takes a brave person to ask for help, and not just give them to just anyone.
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Everyone must be realistic with the amount they have room for and can manage.
I have rescued hundreds in the past year or so. But this last rescue was the first time I took 3 home that I had got out of the sheds. Before that I had the quota for my area and for me to manage. Although it broke my heart and I would have loved to take home some that 'I' had rescued. I reasisted the temptation.
Wendy

battychick_kike
Legendary Laner

Post by battychick_kike »

Hiya,

Excellent topic Richard, I think I mentioned some time ago about chickens becoming "fashionable" and it worried me a bit.

I too read a couple of books but I did majority of my research for about 3 or 4 months online before actually getting my first rescue batties.
It was during my researching that I found this website and its wonderful forum.
As a guest for that time I think I read every chicken keeping topic, poultry health topic and anything else I could read regarding hens.

I got my girls in the summer of last year and I survived this winter and came out the other side smiling in the rain and snow. I was born to work outdoors with animals.

Friends ask me if they are simple to keep and my first answer is yes..... but.......you have got to keep up with maintaining their health and well-being. Its no walk in the park, you got to get up early, poo pick for what seems an eternity, de-louse and worm them and keep their living and sleeping areas as clean as you possibly can at all times, come rain or shine, they dont care if you got a snotty cold or man flu, they need looking after and they rely on you!

It does worry me about how many people take on hens and then ask questions later on!
A friend of mine got a cat and I was dubious about her reasons, but I didnt say anything, she got a Bengal breed of cat and some can be fiery and turn on a penny, but still I didnt say anything! I thought, well, she has spoken to the breeder so I guess the breeder told her about them........less than 6 months on I got a call from her mum........can I take the cat as it scratched her little 7 year old daughter! I took the cat......re-named her Kike, she is a lovely little thing and it will be 2 years this September that I have had her.
I am not suggesting that she made the wrong choice, but more perhaps the wrong choice of pet in general!
It is sad when I see pleas from rescue centres about all their unwanted animals needing homes! Granted, a lot are young animals, but there are a large amount of mature pets there too.

I think research is so important. Its what I said to a London biggest conversation radio presenter back in November last year when the subject was keeping chickens. Research them!

I too never realised there were posters for hens wanting homes in unmentioned pet store! I think I will look in my local one next time I go there........just out of curiosity.

Taz

xxxx
[center]Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start.....[/center]

www.freshstartforhens.co.uk