Leeds Harrogate Wetherby Bradford

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
philF
Learner Laner

Leeds Harrogate Wetherby Bradford

Post by philF »

We have two light Sussex available to give to a good home.

Both are great layers but we're now trying to build a flock of interesting coloured layers (got greens and whites now looking for blue) so we have to say goodbye to the snowy sisters as we call them. They live in an Eglu with 7 other hens and are friendly and easy to handle.

Happy to deliver in the West Yorkshire area.

p.penn

Re: Leeds Harrogate Wetherby Bradford

Post by p.penn »

You are giving away your 2 hens because they only lay brown eggs? yike* Really? }hairout{
I can't help wondering whether you should be keeping chickens if you care more about egg colour than your hens.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Why would you give away two happy healthy hens who are integrated well into their flock? Wherever they go, it will be a huge upheaval for them - introductions are never easy. And all because they lay the wrong colour eggs? When colour makes no difference to quality or taste?

I had ginger hair as a baby. I'm very glad my mum didn't give me away.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
philF
Learner Laner

Post by philF »

Hi Guys

Sorry, I may have misworded my post.

We have an Eglu Cube Chicken Coop, which houses up to 10 birds. We currently have a flock of 9 birds, but as I mentioned, we want to add layers with a different coloured egg.

As we all know, you cannot integrate a single bird into an established flock, therefore we would need to add two birds, but this would take us over capacity. Hence the decision to offer up two birds to give us the capacity when we add two new birds. We decided on the two Light Sussex as they are a pair.

I hope this clarifes our reasoning - of course it is not 'because they lay brown eggs' (we have lots of brown layers)

Apologies for any misunderstanding !
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

If the cube holds 10 chooks, adding two more would probably be fine in the actual coop as one extra would hardly notice as they mostly huddle anyway (as long as you have plenty of run space an absolute minimum of 1sqm per chook)

I'm afraid, whatever way you read it, at the end of the day you are rehoming them because you want different colour eggs. If they laid blue eggs, they would be ok. Just seems wrong to me.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am with Helen on this, please reconsider keeping your lovely snowy girls
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I wouldn't squash that many in a cube anyway. I would love them but too far away.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi,as long as they go to a good home , I dont see a problem. If you pulled their necks that would be total bad .
I am sure some one would love a pair of healthy girls .
Not sure a bird in the coop is as good as a pair in a hatchery.
Bob
Nick and Liz
Learner Laner

Post by Nick and Liz »

Don't suppose you still have these ? We are in the area tommrow and could collect.