Ex Battery hens

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
Willow
Legendary Laner

Ex Battery hens

Post by Willow »

I know the answer to this is probably somewhere on here but has anyone got a list or details of ex battery hens close to S. Wales?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

melons
Legendary Laner

here you go

Post by melons »

BHWT

Carmarthanshire (Carmarthan)
Lucy
01267 223118 (between 9am – 6pm )

Mel
Cheers
mel x
melons
Legendary Laner

forgot to say

Post by melons »

Sorry it's was so short, we are watching the rugby we taped earlier, I'm popping in & out.
let me know how you get on calling lucy, very best of luck :-D
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Thanks Mel.. I'll give her a ring next week just to see when ex batts are available.
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

chooks

Post by melons »

if it goes peared shaped & your desperate, we've got a rescue date near here again soon, I'm daft enough to meet you 1/2 way for a delivery of lovely little girls :-D
Keep me posted. :-D

Mel x
Cheers
mel x
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

mel you really are a lovey! :-D
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mel thats lovely of you... but we need to do some planing and sorting first. Bigger chook house and extend the run.. so it will be a while. I wanted to know some dates first..

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

chooks

Post by melons »

I can't help it Kat, Linda has another rescue date from Milton keynes soon, these girls are your relatives :-D :-D :-D
Cheers
mel x
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

*yay* i know! and im ever so ever so proud too! :-D

willow let us know how the 'building the extension' plans go! :wink: :-D and dont forget to post piccies!!

best wishes

kat x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

What breeds are battery hens? I know this has been mentioned before, but has anyone else recieved battery hens in winter and wouldnt the shock of sudden cold be detrimental.. especially if they are bald?

Albert Einstein
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I am planning to extend poultry operations this winter too, with a larger coop and bigger run. Since being part of this forum I have been persauded down the path of ex-battery hens as well as an alternative to 'posh birds' as Richard calls them.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

What breeds are battery hens?

I think they are Ross Cobbs. Stand to be corrected though.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

We seem to be in the same boat then PK.. We've decided that we will get either the same no. of chooks to double our flock whick will mean 8 chickens - or go for six more to end up with ten rather than wishing we'd got more a few months down the line..
Either way it will require a bigger hen house and run.. We're looking for second hand sheds at the mo.
We've got Black rocks and they've been superb chooks so we'll probably get one or two more of them and then several battery hens too..
Its the rehoming of the ex batts in possibly severe weather that realy worries me..

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Willow.
My girls are lohmanns.
I got them 31st October 2005 and they were oven ready and I mean that. Worse I have seen.
But they did pretty well, I was worried about them out in the cold, but they had a run protected from the wind and the house if they wanted to go in. Even came out in the snow...ouch. But when I picked them up to put them back in the house. They were really hot to touch. They took everything in their stride.
I do have a knitting pattern for a jumper on the other forum, and a couple of people have knitted that, to help them out. But mine managed OK
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

PK I've just looked up the Ross Cobbs and they seem to be bred as 'table birds'. :(

'

Albert Einstein