Call the Midwife

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Call the Midwife

Post by Richard »

Call me old fashioned, but it seems I have heard so many gals really blasting off about birth just after they've had a baby, "Never going through that again" etc., then when a programme comes on about just that it goes to the top of the ratings !!!!

Is it that you get to maybe an age when for whatever reason you probably won't be having any more, that you become broody again?

Not being cynical I promise, just an observation!

Probably not a comment for the TV Thread!!!!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Its just a blooming good drama Richard and makes a lovely change from the trash thats on at the moment. You could say the same about war Richard. Everybody hates war but loves war films.
Richard

Post by Richard »

True Maggie, as I said I wasn't being cynical, just an observation )t' )t'

I watched one but didn't get on with it, vive la difference :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

No I'm certainly not broody Richard {warn}

I like to watch anything medical, but mostly real life things. I like this because I read the book many years ago and as it's set in the old East End of London, I can relate to that area as well.

:-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Richard

Post by Richard »

)t' )t'

I don't disagree with either you or Maggie, just the Psychology of it interested me.

I shall write a drama about Boys in the 1950's and their Hornby Train Sets.

Richard :-D
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Richard wrote:)t' )t'

I don't disagree with either you or Maggie, just the Psychology of it interested me.

I shall write a drama about Boys in the 1950's and their Hornby Train Sets.

Richard :-D

Good news about Hornby getting a lot of work back to UK from China
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Hurray its back on next Sunday
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Yeah!! excellent news :-D
and One born every minute is back on, and so far seems less about frightening women.

Then there is a program on ITV this spring about home birth..... )t'
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

:-D )c( )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Yippee, can`t miss that.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Its on tonight at 8pm
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

This is one series I couldn't fault..

Fabulous cast, excellent script, the acting and story lines are realistic, not over dramatised and with just the right amount of humour... )t' )t' )t'

Why should women have to be 'broody' to enjoy watching this series Richard? Most of us can relate to child birth, I was born in the 50's so its quite interesting to see a slice of life from that era.

Its simply very good and very enjoyable, gets full marks from me :-D
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

I like anything to do with giving birth, maybe ive missed my vocation. Mind you when I watch one born every minute I always end up blubbing so I would be no good as a midwife if I was busy crying every time someone entered the world {rofwl} I'm not broody either and i watch with my 15 year old daughter who is facinated with it all; possibly a budding midwife! One of the things i want to do before i die is see a baby being born. ive given birth 3 times but would still love to be witness to this marvelous event from a different, more comfortable perspective!
Julie x
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

I watched my 8yr old Grandson being born Julie and it was certainly something very special indeed {hug} Perhaps you will have to wait till your Daughter is at that stage and you may be privileged too )t'
LYN
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I love call the midwife, don`t think actual birth scenes too explicit and we know they use dolls etc, but do we really need to see women giving birth in real life, surely that is something that is private, bringing new life into the world is a very special thing but I personally do not want to see it on television. Its the same in other `medical' programmes that people go on with their ailments and not much if anything is left to the imagination surely if they can go on television with it they can go to GP.
I actually find it acutely embarrising to see this on television even though I was a nurse for 30yrs.
sorry most of this is possibly )ot: