A lovely Surprise!

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

A lovely Surprise!

Post by ma larkin »

I have just received by post a book from Mum and Dad 'Chicken Coops for the Soul' an henkeepers story by Julia Hollander! Has anybody read it? Apparently there was an article about her and her novel in the Daily Mail a few weeks ago.

Ma Larkin :-D
manda

Re: A lovely Surprise!

Post by manda »

No I haven't read it but what a lovely thought of your parents :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

I havent read it either, but I look forward to your review Ma )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I read the DM article, it was very interesting - she started off having them as pets but went on to keeping them more like a farmer (ie despatching them when they stopped laying and I think eating them :shock: jolly sensible but I couldn't do it.....)
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

kate egg wrote:I read the DM article, it was very interesting - she started off having them as pets but went on to keeping them more like a farmer (ie despatching them when they stopped laying and I think eating them :shock: jolly sensible but I couldn't do it.....)

:shock: :shock: OH!NO!! That is NOT me atall!! The cover of the book looks so pretty! :?

Ma Larkin
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

It is a strange mixture of cutesy back garden chicken keeping and making them into chicken soup when they are no longer earning their keep... Just re-read the article in MOS on line http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/ar ... -life.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
perchy

Post by perchy »

ma larkin wrote:I have just received by post a book from Mum and Dad 'Chicken Coops for the Soul' an henkeepers story by Julia Hollander! Has anybody read it? Apparently there was an article about her and her novel in the Daily Mail a few weeks ago.

What a lovely present (that'll keep you off f@@book) {rofwl}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hope you enjoy the book!!I thought the article was ghastly )de: Just the kind of woman i used to work for when i was a maternity nurse )de: They made my blood boil then and they still do now!!!Why have an Ex batt as a pet and then chop off the head of a spent chicken just to "make like a farmer" {mr.angry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

I just read the article, and I am not sure I want to read the book now :? May get Pa to read it instead :-D

perchy wrote:What a lovely present (that'll keep you off f@@book)

TE!HE! :-D
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Sorry ma :oops: didnt mean to put you off your thoughtful pressie :oops: Just reminded me of the kind of "yummy mummies" sile} I used to work for {mr.angry} Off soap box now !Obviously she is as entitled to her opinions as every one else just not something i can get on board with!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ma larkin
Legendary Laner

Post by ma larkin »

Hello Madmum! You have not put me off {hug} HONEST!! I have just been chatting about it with a neighbour who keeps ducks as pets about it, and he would not read it either!! My girls are my pets. I am not bothered about how many eggs they give me and I would certainly never eat my girls. There is a chapter in the book entilted 'headless chicken'. I just don't think I can read it. Dad thought I would find it interesting which they now think is funny as they know I bury my head in the sand and things make me sqeamish! I still can't go into a butchers without feeling ill, I used to cry when I was little!!!

Best wishess Madmum {hug} We are thinking the same

madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Ohhhhh!Another person who may have duckie knowledge :-D Dont mind me im too soft for my own good whenit comes to my "babies" :oops:
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Interesting article Kate.

I like you am probably too soft to kill and eat the chickens when the egg laying starts to dry up.
Our three chickens are as much pets as egg layers, although there have been a few (empty) threats made to them when they are kicking up a racket in the morning. I'm not sure that we are really allowed to keep chickens here so we have to rely on the goodwill of our very nice neigbours.

Collin
Smile and the whole world smiles with you