NO CASH FOR METAL

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Maggie1

NO CASH FOR METAL

Post by Maggie1 »

I see on the news this morning its now going to be illegal to trade metal for cash. What planet are these people on that make these new rules. Even rag and bone men come into the category.
I know they are trying to stop the theft of lead of roofs etc but have they thought of other business that will go under because of this. Take these cash for gold shops that you find everywhere. Even the old pawn shops. If you go to the scrappy its all got to be done by card or cheque. Can't see it happening myself
redoak
Legendary Laner

Re: NO CASH FOR METAL

Post by redoak »

Yep, like many of the new laws they create it will hurt many or maybe more, honest people than criminals.
It's difficult to think of a better approach though as something did need to be done. it's just a shame that once again a few baddies spoiling it for all the good ones.
I was listening to someone in the trade talking on the radio, and he thought it won't make much difference, the big crooks will find a way to export the metal to Eastern Europe or somewhere without going through our scrappies,
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

Maggie1 wrote:Can't see it happening myself

Oh it's happening, for the last three months, no ID, no trade, cheque payment IS starting this month.
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I hope it helps as we are plagued in this area with metal thefts, and so called rag n bone men who go around helping themselves to anything not screwed down.
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Scrap yards are traditionally the places where dodgy characters set up business. On the Sweeney when there's a body to get rid of, or they need to talk to a snout, it's off down to the scrappy you go. Either that or strip clubs.

Dodgy dealers will continue to be dodgy & will exchange cash when they can get away with it. Surely a business that needs to transact in cash to survive must be prima facie dodgy?
Steve valentine
Legendary Laner

Post by Steve valentine »

What happens on TV and what really happens in real life are generally a million miles apart.

You do know coronation street is made up, don't you? :?
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Been in force here for weeks now and you have to show your drivers licence when you take scrap in.

Did notice a few months ago though that in the 'scrap' lead container there were brand new rolls of lead and nobody seemed interested when I said something, in fact I got the feeling they wanted me to leave...........!! Glad something is being done because round this area the scrap yards are as underhanded as some of the scrap dealers that take the waste scrap in.

I knew Coronation Street wasnt real..................honest I did. )t'