Les Miserables

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Les Miserables

Post by MissEllie »

Has anyone else seen it yet?
I went to see this with a couple of friends this afternoon and loved it. The casting was spot on, Anne Hathaway in particular was amazing, I was in tears within 10 minutes of her coming on screen.
The music was superb, I'd heard theres been some criticism of Russell Crowe's voice but, considering he's not had the same previous voice training that Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway had I thought he was really good.
I havent read the book, but for anyone who hasnt seen the stage production it's not based on a cheerful story (hence the title {rofwl} ) I cried about 5 times and usually I'm an ice queen but well worth watching in my opinion. I give it 9/10 but don't forget the hankies )t'
Be warned, it's a long one though, 3 hours including adverts.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
p.penn

Re: Les Miserables

Post by p.penn »

I really want to see this and not see this at the same time! Having seen the musical in the West End twice, owning the cd soundtrack and the DVD of the albert Hall concert, it is obvious that I absolutely adore it!

I guess I will go to see it eventually, and to be honest, I have heard nothing but good about it. Just not sure anything will live up to the show for me. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I went to see it earlier this week and thought it was amazing. I absolutely love Les mis and I've seen it loads of times at the theatre, i wan't sure how it would translate to the screen but they've done an amazing job. I though Hugh Jackman was fantastic too.

There's something about Les Mis - I dont think I'm particularly sentimental but it always leaves me in pieces!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

True story… I had to take a detour around Pompey dockyard one weekend when they were filming it… and pompey dockyard detours involve several miles of trying to work out which pontoons are in place and which ones are out for ship movements. I saw some dirty looking blokes with chains over their shoulders and actually (believe it or not) though that they were dockyard slingers (chain blocks and stuff), I was quite disgusted at the state they had let their lifting equipment get to… obviously I found out later what had been occurring and felt suitably foolish.
Bah Humbug
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

p.penn wrote:I really want to see this and not see this at the same time! Having seen the musical in the West End twice, owning the cd soundtrack and the DVD of the albert Hall concert, it is obvious that I absolutely adore it!

I guess I will go to see it eventually, and to be honest, I have heard nothing but good about it. Just not sure anything will live up to the show for me. :-D

You are just like my daughter. She's done the same as you. She plays it at full blast at home and drives everybody mad. She had cinema tickets for the whole family and wanted to use them on the new film but the family flatly refused.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

p.penn wrote:I really want to see this and not see this at the same time!

That's exactly how I felt Helen but I loved it. It lived up to expectation on all sides for me )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hope its running for a few more weeks as Eck and I want to see it too but can't manage next weekend as already have arrangements in place with friends.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Really would like to see this but at3hrs think I will wait until it comes out of DVD and see it at home, I woud get far too fidgety at the cinema sitting for that long.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm another one who has seen it at the theatre, not sure if I'll go to watch at the cinema.

Glad you enjoyed it though Ellie )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

We love les mes, been to see it at theatre a few times and got soundtrack so were looking forward to going this week for oh's birthday, the weather had other ideas though! So we'll get to see it once the snow goes away. Will definatly take hanky as I can't listen to the music without crying!
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Sorry but now I'm sick to death with having it pushed in my face all the time. It seems everytime a programme comes on its mentioned and the same things are said all over again. Thats just the programmes then the adverts come on.
Yes it is a lovely show and the music is lovely but I think they are bleeding it dry now.
Rant over.
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

I'm currently reading the book.... it's excellent but incredibly long! 400 pages in and only a third of the way through!

So, although I'd love to see the film, I won't until I finish the book and I'm sure it will be out on DVD by then.... :-D
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

My folks went last night and really enjoyed it. Like you Ellie, my mum said she was reaching for the tissues after ten minutes {cry}

Bless her, my mum's going again tonight with her friend as she's nobody else to go with her and it worked out on consecutive nights because they got a special deal etc :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Never seen the play so no idea what it was about but I do like both Russell and Hugh so went with some friends this afternoon. Enjoyed bits of it, only fell asleep twice but do you know think I would have enjoyed it much better id they just spoke and didn;t sing!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

sandy wrote:Never seen the play so no idea what it was about

It's about a bloke called Les Who is pretty grumpy most of the time. :-D
Bah Humbug