How mean can you get?

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

How mean can you get?

Post by Meanqueen »

[color=darkblue][color=darkblue]I was browsing through the books in a charity shop yesterday and came across one which made me smile. A readers digest book called, How To Pay Less For Just About Anything. It was priced at £2.00. I wondered if I should ask the lady if I could have it for £1.00, and thought maybe not, she wouldn't be amused. I left it on the shelf because I am trying to de clutter.
Then I went to the library and got 7 books out for nothing. Now I am feeling guilty, just how mean can you get?

Ilona[/color]
:cry:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yeah Meany !!!!

I love the idea of the barter though!

I guess the ultimate frugality would be to nick it though )de: )de:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

How mean can you get?

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Ilona

I don't think that was mean - the awful thing is when you get a refusal from a charity shop....

Years ago, my friend who had 2 boys needed some school trousers for them, we both didn't have much money and I asked the woman in the shop could I have them for £2 (priced £3.50) the miserable c** said no. I though that was really a cheek as someone had given them to the shop and my friend needed them
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mmmmm, good subject this isn't it. They don't pay for it, you offer so they don't 'lose' and the money goes to Charity.

At Boot Fairs I have an assortment of coins in my pocket, so if something's £1.50, I'll feel around in my trousers, take a £1 coin out, hold it up and say "Take a quid Mate (or Madam)".

I think I would only do it in a Charity Shop though if I sicerely had only the £1.

As for your example Anna, I'd have asked her how many things she'd had first offer on !!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'd go back Ilona - it's £13.19 on Amazon!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Richard, you make me laugh. :-D
What I should have done was taken the 5 bags of clothes there, and asked for a swap, but I didn't know where the back door was of the Cancer Shop, so I took them to the Hospice shop because I could park outside their front door. Missed out there.
Anna, that was a bit mean not to take a reasonable offer from your friend. These days charities are run like a business, they probably had targets to meet. I might go back and if the book is still there, offer £1, just to see what they say.
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, my friend took a load of stuff to a charity shop and got a response 'that will be good for my bonus'. She thought it was supposed to be good for the charity!
WendyM
Lively Laner

Post by WendyM »

The charity shops around my area charge rediculose prices for clothes. I went in there to look for a nice winter coat and they were charging from £15 for them. I know some of the money goes to the charity, but I think the ethos of charity shops have changed somewhat. I buy from them usually because I can get a bargain, cheep clothes for the me, hubby and the boys, Books toys. But to be honest if you want a real bargain nowadays you need to go to a car boot sale. I buy my kids Xmas presents from car boot sales, I look for toys that are still in the box's, clothes that have hardly been worn. They never know, and I can get a lot more for my money. I hate to buy anything new. I hardly buy any clothes new from the shops, maybe if they have knocked them down in the sales and even then I look for a bargain. I think the only clothes I do buy new are school trousers and shoes for my eldest boy and then pass them down to the others. I have some friends also that hand me down clothes for them.
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

In the South of England here I've found that prices in a charity shop can actually be more than the shop it was and sometimes still is, sold at!
Not so bad the further North I have gone.
I had a very old dog a while back (from a rescue they gave him a month and he lived for a year bless him) and needed some old sheets to cover his bed with. I could cut htem into four...
Anyway I went to a local charity shop and found a lovely big 2nd hand sheet for £1.50. I took it to the counter and handed over the £1.50. She wouldn't take it. Apparently the llabel was badly written and it was actually £7.50. when i said sorry I could buy a new one for less she chucked it at me like I was dirt and said ungraciously let me have it for £1.50. I needed it so I took it. funnily enough I've never been back there....
go back and get yer book Ilona!! ...and share the spoils of saving money!!
Chucky Egg
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Hi Wendy,

Re your experience in the charity shop,you have to wonder why some of these people are working there! They seem to have missed the point of the fact that it is a charity shop and surely some money is better than none!

Glad to say that I have never had a bad experience with a charity shop. Being in an "affluent" part of Kent I have got a couple of very nice skirts for work (don't often wear them other than that!) for £4 each from a Cancer Research shop. I also regularly take one of their printed bags and return it with the latest lot of outgrown childrens clothes.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

How mean can you get?

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Ilona

I hope you have had time to go back to the shop. I took a very large box of books today to the British Red Cross shop - the woman there needed to go through the books before accepting them. She said Readers Digest are a definite no,no. I had hard/paper backs and she took them all.

I related your tale to her and she said that they would accept an offer as they had so many books to sell.

Anna
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Anna
Haven't had time to go back yet, but I will, 12 hour shifts on this job are normal, Tuesday was nearly 15 hours!!!I got an early finish today but I had to go to the hospital to get my hearing aid repaired, so it looks like Saturday. You have all convinced me I should be cheeky and ask for a discount.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Went back to get the book today, I asked if I can pay £1.50 for it, the older assistant said 'no, we have to charge the price inside the cover' .
I might have another try during the week, when there is a different person on duty. The book is in very good condition, I flicked through it, but to be honest, I couldn't find much that I don't already know about.
Ilona
Katew
Learner Laner

Post by Katew »

I bought that book for £4 from a charity shop! I agree with Chucky Egg, charity shops in the south are a lot dearer. I live in Bath, and the prices there are terrible!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

This is the first time I've found myself in disagreement, to some degree, with others on this site.

I have no problem haggling at car boot sales, but wouldn't dream of it at my favourite charity shops, as you are getting something you want/need dirt cheap compared with what you would pay new/on Ebay or wherever. Got hubby a new watch in charity shop for £3 the other day, you would pay £4 for a new battery!

That said, there are a few charity shops that definitely are starting to charge ridiculous prices (saw a dress for £50 in one in Truro the other day!! BUT it was designer, and good value for someone into that sort of thing), I just keep away from those ones.

I try to beat the consumer culture by looking for what I want second-hand before getting new where possible, trouble is I often find something I "want" rather than "need" while poking around the charity shops, reclaim centres, etc!