Kindle

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
silverbass
Lively Laner

Re: Kindle

Post by silverbass »

Just downloaded Adventures of Sherlock Holmes free from Guttenberg Collection.
Mrs S says to say thank you from her too. She also says to say she is loving her Kindle and the pink cover, she may not leave the house for some time (except for work).
=win=
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
perchy

Post by perchy »

Brilliant )t'
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I know this topic was ages ago but am debating getting Mum one for her birthday.
Her eyesight is very poor now and she reads with a magnifying glass which she finds tiring. In fact she has given up with books altogether - hasnt had a library book even for a couple of years now. Do you think a Kindle would be light enough for my Mum to hold for a reasonable length of time and does anyone or know anyone that uses the large type face all the time ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I'd like to know how you're getting on with it... It's my birthday soon and I have been dropping very unsubtle hints like "I want a Kindle or a divorce" He'll probably go for the divorce option though...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I love my kindle (my son gave me the 3G one for my birthday)
It is light and easy to hold once you have got the hang of not accidentally touching the page turn buttons. And unlike a book you don't have to hold open the pages.

I use it on the medium size print but move the print size up one if the light is dim.

I think the biggest problem for those with poor eyesight would be getting the books. The book stores and internet pages are in very small typeface. And they come up with the buy button highlighted.

Mine has a voice option which copes reasonably well with most books, it reads them with a sort of robotic american voice. Not good all the time but ok .
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I love my kindle too...hubby bought it for me to take on holidays last year, but I use it all the time now...well worth investing in the cover with the light too.. )t'
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mr P loves his kindle and hasn't picked up a book since, they are light in weight and you can increase the size of the letters )t'
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

In keeping with the frugal spirit of this site try the following links. I check them daily for free books. )t'
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_e ... dt_hd_icdf

http://dailycheapreads.co.uk/

Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
perchy

Post by perchy »

yes Dean, we have those links, thanks for sharing them )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It's my birthday next week and guess what I caught Nick looking at on amazon site? Yes, a kindle )c( I shall check his account later to see if he's actually ordered one :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
perchy

Post by perchy »

Mad Chick wrote:It's my birthday next week and guess what I caught Nick looking at on amazon site? Yes, a kindle )c( I shall check his account later to see if he's actually ordered one :oops:

{hug&kiss}
cluckymama
Lively Laner

Post by cluckymama »

I think you can also swap books too, or down load each others if you know someone who has one aswell! )t' Emilie x
Emilie x
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I checked his account and he's ordered one )c(
6 more sleeps....
Lucy x

perchy

Post by perchy »

Mad Chick wrote:I checked his account and he's ordered one )c(
6 more sleeps....

)c( )c(
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It arrived today :-D

It was fairly obvious what it was and I sat looking at the box all day, desperately resisting the urge to open it. When he came home from work I placed the box in front of him with his favourite dinner. It didn't take him long to give in {rofwl}

It's fab, I've got 4 books on it already although I had to get Nick to do that bit as it looked very complicated :oops:
Lucy x