Womens heavy cord trousers

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Womens heavy cord trousers

Post by Spreckly »

Not sure where to put this topic, but here goes.

For years I have bought heavy cord trousers, with a drawstring top from my catalogue. last year realised the three pairs I have were getting a bit thin at the knees. I wear them all winter long, and they are very warm.

My catalogue is no longer stocking them, I have looked on the internet, not found anything particularly suitable, the pictures show reed thin women in their twenties, so I am still looking.

Had a pair from D......rt a few years since, which went baggy, and were not as warm as my Classics ones. Anyone any ideas, suggestions? I find jeans not as warm as my cords.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Womens heavy cord trousers

Post by rhubarb93 »

Have a look at Cotton Traders - they do an elasticated waist cord trouser. No idea what they are like, but their stuff seems to be good value.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Rhubarb, will do.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just updating my post of late last year. I remembered that the Cotton Traders cords were too baggy - the pair I have needs washing to pull them back into shape each time I wear them, shame, because they are lovely.

However )t' )t' )t' a friend gave me a Lands' End catalogue earlier in the week, with cord trousers for sale, so I have just ordered two pairs at nineteen pounds a pair. Gulp. Sorry about Frugal February, but two of my three pairs are almost through at the knee, and I wear them all winter.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It's frugal to buy what you need when you can get it. It's not as if you are impulse buying something that you will regret as soon as you get it home. Or buying something at half the price that doesn't do the job - in my book that is unfrugal.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Mo! I didn't exactly feel guillty, but relieved to find what I had been looking for for two winters. And thought that if anyone else was searching for cords, which I understand are hard to get (well, cheaper ones anyway), they would have some information.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

I now prefare cords as opposed to jeans if I,m working down the allotment or pottering around the house. I find them a lot more comfortable. Altough I prefare the look of jeans if I,m popping on road or for going to football etc.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Dear oh dear! My cords arrived this morning, and are going back tomorrow. I saw at once that the quality wasn't the same as my battered, thin at the knee cords. So disappointed. Added to that, I would have had to had a smaller size, in all directions!

So, not recommending.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Spreckly wrote:Dear oh dear! My cords arrived this morning, and are going back tomorrow......

I'm sorry you didn't end up with your cords, Spreckly. I'm surprised about Land's End but good that you shared about the poor quality. Did you try to write or call the company you normally buy from? Sometimes they can sell you something that isn't in the catalogue anymore, or recommend equal quality and value. I do hope you get what you're looking for. :-D
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Lillia wrote:
Spreckly wrote:Dear oh dear! My cords arrived this morning, and are going back tomorrow......

I'm sorry you didn't end up with your cords, Spreckly. I'm surprised about Land's End but good that you shared about the poor quality. Did you try to write or call the company you normally buy from? Sometimes they can sell you something that isn't in the catalogue anymore, or recommend equal quality and value. I do hope you get what you're looking for. :-D

I kept phoning the catalogue, who said they would be in the next winter one, but weren't, and they were unable to tell me where they had got them from. I wouldn't say that Land's End were poor quality, I should have perhaps workded it more positively, but they were much thinner than the sort of cord I have been buying for years, and years, and would not have either been as warm or lasted so long.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Can you patch your existing trousers on the inside, just to keep them going a little longer?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:Can you patch your existing trousers on the inside, just to keep them going a little longer?

I did wonder about doing that, but there is hardly any cord left in the knees of one pair. I was not impressed with the stitching a Superscrimper executed when patching a cardigan last night. It didn't look as if it would survive wearing never mind a wash! My three sons always had patched jeans.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I think the jeans I'm wearing at the moment have more patches than they do original fabric!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Could you patch them on the outside with a matching or coordinating fabric. You could even get a little wild with the patches and make a fashion statement!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Not sure about that, American Lady. I will keep looking, and hoping to find what I need, not want.