Spreckly's attempts at frugality

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Spreckly's attempts at frugality

Post by Spreckly »

As I trotted away from the cafe in town this morning, after downing a coffee and one quarter of a toasted teacake, I brushed guilt aside, after all, we are still in January.

OH's birthday next week (before February), so we can legitimately go out for a meal, our three times annual treat, without feeling sheepish. Bought him a leather belt, which he desperately needs, to unwrap. He already has his present, a propatator for his greenhouse. The previous one lasted years.

I spent over ten pounds in H..l..nd and B...a...ett with a buy one item, pay one penny for the second. Both stuff I needed.

Then I went to our lovely old fashioned ladies outfitters in town, old counters, wooden drawers for garments, and clothes that fit, and bought two winceyette nighties. Had trawled town, markets, even roped sister in law in down in Kent, but couldn't find anything to fit my size or pocket, so these will have to see me out.

Got some bargain mealworms for the girls after shopping around, so that was a success.

I reckon we have saved over fifty pounds shopping at A.....di, and we are switching lights off feverishly, and I have passed the no coffee/teacake suggestion by OH, who is not impressed.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Re: Spreckly's attempts at frugality

Post by Lillia »

Oh well, if you're trying, in the right direction, that counts! :-D Sounds like you found some bargains there )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Very pleased today to be offered eighteen paving slabs from a freecycler. The cost of diesel was a lot less than buying slabs, so off we went. Disaster when OH turned the car round and the trailer jack knifed into the back lights. One lens is broken, has been glued up, but will have to be replaced.

So not a good start. It must get better.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Youngest son turned up on Monday, and told me of all the meat bargains available to staff where he works, better not say where, but I handed over my last five pound note, and on Sunday will be receiving the meat, and loading my freezer.

Also, I never have much cash on me, use my Connects card for shopping, get a small amount of cash back when I grocery shop, and it has to last till the following week. The plus side is that we live several miles from the nearest shops, and nipping to the nearest one is not an option. I limit myself to ten pounds cash in my purse at a time, and top up with cash back.

At beginning of year we cancelled three membership subscriptions, not an easy thing to do after several years membership. We don't buy magazines, only the cheapest TV guide, which suffices.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I never buy magazines, but ever since we were married we've had Radio Times (ever since I can remember as a child too). It used to feel like a disaster if they were out of stock.
A few years ago we found it cheaper on subscription and you didn't have to go out.
Then last year there was a mix-up trying to change the DD to a different bank account and it wasn't delivered. All on the screen now with digital, so we do without.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I am presently getting the local(est) newspaper delivered, but will not renew when it runs out. I can read it on line, as I can with magazines. Seems the only time I read a magazine is waiting in the doctor's office. lol
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yesterday evening on freecycle a chap was offering wood to collect, within a five mile trip. We have just got back with a trailer full. It is mainly chipboard, but will cut up, and give us some heat. He also told us about his coal man, who sells coal cheaper than we are buying it, though we do not buy much, but going to give the number a ring, and see if we can get some.

I have put it on another thread, but erm, I have just ordered two pairs of cord trousers, after searching for two winters for them. Mine are so very thin at the knees there is hardly any cord left, and I do wear them all the time in the winter.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I admire how you guys gather a variety of wood to heat your houses. I don't know of a single place to get pieces, but plan to do some investigating. Around here people seem to always buy cordwood but the prices are going out of sight! $150 to $175 a cord. Sure can't afford that. We did go to the mountains and cut down some dead trees and cut them up last fall so that was a help.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I paid into a private pension plan several years ago - Equi...... ble L....fe. Not a wise move, and I receive the princely sum of eleven pounds a month out of the pot. But, I had a letter yesterday informing me that I would shortly receive a cheque for one hundred and sixty six pounds, as part of the money we all lost due to E L's mismanagement.

Yes! One hundred is already earmarked towards the rates, which I have been working my socks off on my Avon round for, sixty pounds will go towards our car tyres, and the six pounds will go towards housekeeping.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

You sell Avon! I used to get it but we haven't had a representative here for a long time. One of my favorite products is Moisture Therapy extra strength cream. Works great on both my face and my hands. Have you tried it?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Americanlady wrote:You sell Avon! I used to get it but we haven't had a representative here for a long time. One of my favorite products is Moisture Therapy extra strength cream. Works great on both my face and my hands. Have you tried it?

I don't think there is the above product in the catalogue, perhaps it is under a different name, and A...on tend to discontinue products which is most annoying. I know this is off topic, but perhaps if you googled A...on you could find an area manager who would put you in touch with a Rep. It has been a real struggle this winter, mainly because many of my customers work, and to save doubling up on fuel costs, I do my round early evening, which is dark at present!
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks for the suggestion, Spreckly. I will try finding someone online. And good luck to you on your route. You are selling a very good product.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

American Lady, nothing to do with frugality, I know, but in the UK it is possible to buy online on the A..on website, and also goods are sold on ebay. Best of luck with it, and thank you for your good wishes.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We intend covering the other half of our hen run soon, OH has not yet measured up how much it will cost to use corrugated plastic. The other end was quite expensive.... For the winter the open part has been covered in with two small tarpaulins, which will not last another winter, so near to the north sea.

Just chatting with a friend in the village this morning, and she has offered me at least one unused sheet of corrugated plastic, and when they take their greenhouse down, if the builder is careful enough, there may well be some more!!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

That's good news :-D fingers crossed for a careful builder.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.