Kreg jig........

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Kreg jig........

Post by Don Roberto »

My girls don't have enough room in their present coop/run. I have started to build an extension, using scant framing timber (2 1/2" x 1 1/2") In the past, I have made frames with screws that have gone through side grain and into end grain, but this was never satisfactory, as the weaker end grain would just pull through and loosen any joints that I made. Last year I bought a Kreg Jig master system' mainly for for making cabinetry. As the butt joints even in particle board are extremely strong. The Kreg jig utilizes pocket hole screw technology, whereby a drill is passed diagonally down through the end grain of the timber creating a pocket for the screw to sit in, the screw is then driven diagonally into the side grain of the other piece of timber. This makes an incredibly strong joint without glue.
If glue is used the joint is even stronger. Once set up, this jig is very simple to use, and joints are made very quickly. The pro's for this system, are strength and speed in making joints. The cons are, that the pocket holes have to be filled in afterwards, the price of the system is substantial and Kregs own special pocket screws are also fairly expensive and are the only ones available for this type of work. Even so, laymen like myself can make some very complicated cabinetry with superb results.........
Treat each new day as if it were your last, because one day you will be right.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: Kreg jig........

Post by ChrisG »

Looks like an interesting tool DR. Might need to invest in one myself )t' .
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

Hi Ruth, have a look on YouTube or go to www.kregtool.com You can build some amazing projects with this piece of kit. Cheerio me deario.......
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Not checked the link, yet, but sounds like the screw version of " Toshing" does it not?
Don Roberto
Legendary Laner

Post by Don Roberto »

Yup.