No such thing as a free greenhouse!

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Re: No such thing as a free greenhouse!

Post by roddelmae »

We've just spent the day clearing out and cleaning our greenhouse, (which came with the house). Once it was clean and dry, we started putting stuff back in and rejecting the junk that inevitably accumulates over a year. I half-filled a bin bag with this stuff!
We are lucky in that we have power to the greenhouse from the back end of the garage, where we have three weather-proof sockets. These power the greenhouse, the water feature, with a spare socket for mower, strimmer etc.
In the greenhouse I have fitted a small flourescent lightwith a water-proof switch just inside the door; there is also a small oil-filled radiator, set at frost-free which is very cheap to run, and an electric irrigation tank which delivers a measured amount of water along a pipe to wherever you want it. Oh, and a small radio for the boss when she's propagating!
Last year we had seven varieties of tomatoes, plus cucumber, capsicum, various salad leaves, and melons. Also grew from seeds lots of flowers and vegetables for the garden.
My job tomorrow is washing all the pots and trays with Jeyes Fluid (which was used inside the greenhouse) and sorting them into sizes.
Not bad from an 8' x 6' greenhouse I thought!
My raised bed for the fruit bushes is doing well.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am just feeling slightly envy}} as I went to reassemble what is left of my 5 tier growhouse from last year today. It blew over last year and I knew that some of the frame was damaged, but was going to see which bits I could salvage. Sadly, the heavy duty cover is torn in several places too {cry}

I feel quite miserable about it actually as I don't have room for a proper greenhouse (even if it could withstand the gales here) and now is the time for it to be really useful.

Yours looks fab birdbrain - I am really pleased you have had such sucess in this awful winter we have had. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Hi Birdbrain,

It's all looking good.
I did get my greenhouse for free a couple of years ago but like you I had a lot of outlay on glass, clips, bolts, etc.
Where did you get the rubber seal for the door? Mine is pretty tatty and had not thought that I may be able to get a replacement.

Collin
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

Try this link
http://www.keengardener.co.uk/product/v ... m%29.rails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've not used this company but cannot find it listed where I bought it.
Edit!
Sorry I didn't read your post properly........... you wanted door seal. I didn't need one but I'll have a search
Try this ....looks like the stuff

http://www.gcraft.co.uk/display_product.php?id=146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this site looks good for all things necessary to repair a Greenhouse
Good luck
BB
The first egg is the best and the most expensive!
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Thanks Birdbrain,
much appreciated.

Collin :-D
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

Here's a couple of pictures of the builders buckets under the staging. I put them outside when it was sunny. It's been very overcast today so they stayed put.
The other picture is just showing off really :-D
The winter lettuce and mustard have given us a trickle of leaves since Christmas from an October sowing. Just enough to keep the lunch time sandwiches interesting. Now its really cropping and should get a picking like this once or twice a week for a while. Hopefully until the outdoor salads are cropping
Attachments
Lots of goodies coming on! Coriander, Dill, Rocket, Poly Cress,Carrots
Lots of goodies coming on! Coriander, Dill, Rocket, Poly Cress,Carrots
Builder's Buckets 002 Small.jpg (174.88 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Builder's Buckets 001 small.jpg
Builder's Buckets 001 small.jpg (170.85 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
A variety of leaves from a 'Cut and Come Again' mixture, Winter Gem lettuce and a mix of Oriental mustards. All well tried and standard for us now
A variety of leaves from a 'Cut and Come Again' mixture, Winter Gem lettuce and a mix of Oriental mustards. All well tried and standard for us now
Winter Salad from the greenhouse 002 Small.jpg (185.43 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

I grow my new potatoes in builders buckets, start them off early in the green house and place them outside when the tom are ready for planting.
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

How many seed potatoes per bucket and what do you use for compost???
Do you feed them with tomato fertilizer?
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

Hi birdbrain,
I have 4 compost bins, number 1 bin compost is 3 years old, number 2, 2 years old and number 3 is this years. Number 4 bin is used for turning the compost in this years bin, which a do every 3 months.

For the potatoes I use the 3 year old compost as it is well rotted down. I start off with a folded newspaper on the bottom which I soak. Then I place ½ a spade full of compost on top and put 2 potatoes in and fill up the bucket to the top and water once a week, more so once outside and the weather is dry.

I do this in mid to late February depending on the weather. I keep the buckets in the green house until the weather improves. Once outside if frost is forecast, I place them back in the greenhouse over night. This way I get very early new potatoes.
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

thanks for the info....I might try it next year )eat(
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

All fired up and rarin' to go :-D
I've been trying to post some photos of my greenhouse full of Tomato, Pepper. Chilli, Aubergine and lots of other loverlies coming on but the board attachment quota is full. Is that just for me or everyone confused> ?????
Anyway it's so exciting and I'm really impatient :-D I have to bring the tender stuff in the house at night because it's still a bit cold but that's a lot cheaper than heating the G/H.
I hope I can post some pictures soon because as they say a picture is wor....la.....la....la )hlp>
manda

Post by manda »

Are you trying to put the picture on through the upload attachment button under the text box...when I tried to use that button the other day in answer to the question about uploading pics I got that message but thought it was because the picture was too big and to be honest I usually use Photobucket or FLICKR to put pics on. Perhaps use photobucket or FLICKR or Picasa- there are stickies to show you how ?
PICASA
Photobucket

FLICKR-- sorry can't find a sticky for that but.... You right click on the image once you've saved it on FLICKR and then copy the image URL into the text box - highlight the whole thing by dragging the mouse across it and then click the Img button (on the buttons above the text box you are writing your post in).

Hope that helps. If you get totally stuck come back and let us know.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Hi Birdbrain, Your board quota message means that the amount of attachments has been reached, I think this is for all members but not sure.
Problem is that attachments are stored on the Database, whereas Photobucket and others are simply embedded links and don't load the Forum database at all.
If you do use photobucket or similar you will still be able to post pics.
Al )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Birdbrain
Lively Laner

Post by Birdbrain »

Good advice thanks.
If you are interested in my greenhouse pictures go here to my SmugMug greenhouse page

http://colinandelaine.smugmug.com/Garde ... 2527_h9i2y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The new pics are on the second page
BB
)t' Yey it works :-D
Last edited by Birdbrain on 14 Apr 2010, 22:45, edited 3 times in total.
manda

Post by manda »

I would say that it's for all members Al as someone else asked about pics the other day and the same issue had come up.

So everybody...use Photobucket or Picasa or some such whojamaflit (that's technical speak )grin2( )for uploading pics...there are stickies for how to do this, provided by the lovely Al and Stace, in the members only section (the links to the stickies are above in this posting).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny