Sowing lobelia seeds?

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Sowing lobelia seeds?

Post by Spreckly »

Today my lobelia seeds arrived, better late than never, but the sowing season ends in March. Is it too late do you think to sow them now, in the greenhouse?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Sowing lobelia seeds?

Post by Gwenoakes »

I do not know, Spreckly………...sorry.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Spreckly wrote:but the sowing season ends in March

where does it say that? March is the start of the sowing season, and only if it is mild - you would be better sowing in April anyway to ensure germination and about now is good as temperatures this week are rising. Even if you are late, plants have an amazing way of catching up with earlier sowings so I would say go for it. This year I am growing a lot more flowers than ever before and have only just done a batch with more to follow - the seed trays are in the greenhouse so they'll benefit from warm sunshine but do remember to leave the door open as the sun can make the greenhouse get too hot, but close it late afternoon to keep the heat in and protect from dropping temperatures. Frost hasn't been forecast but it can still get cold at night.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My guess was that they would catch up, based only on when I used to grow peas (given up due to pigeons). I'd plant rows at intervals to have a succession, but the later ones would catch up. Is lobelia an annual or perennial?
I'm accidentally growing marigolds this year. Ordered runner beans from Suttons and chose from their 'faster delivery' range. So they sent me a free packet of yellow / white calendula. It seems a good idea that they have a limited range (1 kind of each veg, rather than the usual wide choice), so that the staff can be safely distanced. If I'd wanted Scarlet Emperor I could have ordered them but they' have come whenever they did.
No spare flower bed (all shrubs, grass and 'wild') so sowed them in pots. Wonder how deep they need.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I think they would catch up too. The problem I have with lobelia is that the seedling are so fragile and need a lot of looking after. Worth the effort though as I love them in hanging baskets.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you all for your replies. So, will sow them tomorrow.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I have sown half of the lobelia seeds, or I think I have, they are like pepper! Now in a seed tray under a plastic cover.

I also discovered some of the pale blue lobelia in a pot in the greenhouse a few days ago, I hadn't recognised the leaves, but it has got a few flowers, and I am delighted. Keeping it inside until we lose these cold east winds from the North Sea - we are between two and three miles away as the crow flies.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Do you have to sow it every year, or doers it keep going?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I thought lobelia died off Mo, but obviously the bit in the pot hasn't for some reason. We usually had it in hanging baskets, and this year only one basket escaped being emptied out, as I was not going to bother with them again. It doesn't look as if there is any lobelia in this basket, only a fuschia.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

it sounds like the petunia I grew in one of the planters by the front door (shop bought plugs in 2018) At least one survived the winter and went on to flower again in 2019 - it was quite a mild winter so maybe the reason why it survived. This past winter has not been that cold and if kept in the greenhouse, might explain how the lobelia has managed to keep going )t'