Watering cans and weed killer

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Watering cans and weed killer

Post by Spreckly »

I have a watering can in the garage which was last used with weed killer in it over five years since. I would like to use it for watering the plants, do you think it will now be safe to use?
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Watering cans and weed killer

Post by Trev62 »

I use a backpack sprayer for all purposes, after using weed killer in it I just flush it through thoroughly, let it dry then use for what ever is next in line. No problems yet!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I have to confess that I only used one watering can dedicated for weed killer use (it was a red plastic one which made it more distinctive than the other green ones) but think if it was thoroughly rinsed out, it might be okay (perhaps target a plant / weed to test it first to give yourself reassurance it is safe)

I still remember having an empty bottle of glyphosate and before throwing it away had rinsed it and then tipped the contents on a clump of (unwanted) grass ... it surprised me that the weed killer was still active despite the bottle being empty for many years. Hence, the caution about testing first.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks LL. The watering can has stood unused for at least five years.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 16:58 Thanks LL. The watering can has stood unused for at least five years.
I think the problem might be that although any water diluting the chemical might have evaporated traces of the active chemical might remain, which is why LL's suggestion of rinsing and testing on something that doesn't matter is a good one.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire