Neighbours and Chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Steve the Gas

Re: Neighbours and Chickens

Post by Steve the Gas »

As they 'nowt so queer as folk' :-D

cluckyclaire
Longlasting Laner

Post by cluckyclaire »

we're lucky in that we live in the country and only have one neighbour - she has always lived in the country and loves the chickens and is far enough down the drive that the cockerels don't bother her!!
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

I must admit, I have purchased a Rooster, and am surrounded by houses. It may prove difficult if any of the neighbours complain, though he has not started "crowing" YET!. Exciting times lay ahead.

Phil* )de:
Live and let live.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

My neighbours had chickens before me, infact I had two of his, the neighbour on the other side wouldn't complain about mine cause she wouldn't want to upset him. The neighbours 3 doors down have just 'got rid ' of their chickens because of rats!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

We have neighbours both sides and have had no complaints. One of them was thinking about getting some too but is totally fastidious about her garden so has thought better of it :-D
I spotted a hornets nest in the eaves of next doors house and went round to tell them. The next day the pest control van was outside and within minutes I had several knocks on my door asking if I had a rat problem because of the chickens - they looked positively disappointed when I told them that the pest control people were next door sorting out some hornets :shock:
A year in, I think all the neighbours have accepted that I have totally lost the plot and actually quite enjoy seeing a friendly brown hen perched on the garden wall - hey, it beats a weather vane :-D :-D :-D

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

As you may know from previous posts one of my neighbours complained as they like to lie in on a sunday til 9.30am. No other neighbours have complained and they enjoy the eggs etc.

The neighbours who did complain were also complaining about the noise of my OH starting his motorbike to go to work (he duz an early shift and leaves the house at 5.40am). he now wheels it down the road. Also the sound of us chopping wood when they are eating their dinner! I was gobsmacked as these are not quiet neighbours - they have teenagers who play loud music, they have bbqs at any opportunity and they used to spend large parts of the day shooting their air rifle at cans in the field at the back of us. BUT I did tell them I had found lots of air gun pellets in my garden and they have stopped this now. We are on 'friendly' terms and I try to keep the hens as quiet as possible in the mornings - esp on Sundays

Ruby
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
munchkinsmum
Learner Laner

Post by munchkinsmum »

I think we've been really lucky. We live in a terraced row and both immediate neighbours have been fine - free eggs always helps!
We have other neighbours who shout at the kids too so when my girls are being a bit noisy at some unearthly hour I don't feel too bad - at least the chicks go quiet when they realise they've got us out of bed and pandering to their every demand :-D
Mazza
Lively Laner

Post by Mazza »

Our hens have never been all that noisy, until we mixed some new ones n on Saturday. We had an extremely noisy hour from 6am to 7am yesterday (yes Sunday :oops: ) but no-one has complained so far.

We are lucky in that we have always had a bit of give and take in the neighbourhood, as most of us have noisy kids and animals. Everyone has the odd noisy barbecue/party - and as it's not too often, everyone just gets on with it.
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

Our chickens arrive next week. I spoke to the neighbours on either side ... one doesn't mind as her sister keeps hens, the other's only comment was 'No cockerel' ... the house five doors up from us has one and I love it, although you can hardly hear it ... but this neighbour confessed he hates it and has complained to the RSPCA ... not sure what he expected them to do about the noise, since they obviously didn't find any fault with the care of the animals?
mal
Lively Laner

Post by mal »

...."How lovely you have chickens" then went on to tell me how her and her mum had kept them for years well i was flabergasted to say the least, hubby looked at me and grinned, so my point is you dont always get the responce you expect, we now chat on a daily basis she brings corn for the hens and i pass eggs over each week, if it wasn't for me getting my chooks we would prob still not be talking to eachother

Sometimes it's just a question of finding something in common to give cause to speak, Stace.
I think attitudes towards keeping poultry are changing. It's not just climate and the economy and such, but the coverage given by Hugh F-W and Jamie Oliver and co. who have made it "cool" and acceptable to grow and raise your own food rather than being seen as a bit eccentric.
We live in a society where the media have great power to affect our actions and for once, "the culture of celebrity" has worked for the good!

they have teenagers who play loud music, they have bbqs at any opportunity and they used to spend large parts of the day shooting their air rifle at cans in the field at the back of us

You don't live next door but one do you Ruby? :-D
My bottom garden's like Narnia without the mothballs. I go to pick beans for 5 minutes and when I come out hours have passed!

"Power to the People!" - Wolfie Smith
livvylang
Lively Laner

Post by livvylang »

My Neigbour was well annoyed with me when I told her I was getting chickens........I had beaten her to it {rofwl} Her poor OH is receiving a constant nag me thinks...her children come round regularly to collect the eggs for me they love it!
Other side..never been mentioned..but i think I shall send some eggs round to them just to be neigbourly!
you know who I mean..the crazy lady next door..laughs to herself and keeps chickens!!
beckypoob
Lively Laner

Post by beckypoob »

Our Chicken pen is at the bottom of the garden(4 ex batts had for a month). We Told the neighbours either side that we were getting chickens, but forgot to tell the neighbours whose garden backs onto the coop!. Just today I noticed him on a ladder cutting the hedge over the fence by the coop. Thinking I'd better go and explain the chickens I went out to say hello. He was really surprised, He hadn't realised we even had them, he said he has never heard any noise from them ( Not as much as neighbouring dogs!!) He was concerned over whether squirrels would attack them etc, but otherwise not bothered. He was disapointed (after some eggs I think) when I told him they'd stopped laying at the moment as I think they are concentrating energy on growing feathers ( Ex batts).

Me and my husband had several discussions, he thought we should ask neighbours permission before getting chucks??!! I dont see why you should ask anyones permission, they don't ask you before they get a dog!
good luck
Paula
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

How about venturing into other peoples gardens - any probs ?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
4c lady
Legendary Laner

Post by 4c lady »

Im an end terrace and I told my next door neighbour I was getting chickens and she was happy as she said it reminded her of when she was younger and the country "noise" was much better than cars. I take her eggs when ive got some spare and she save her outer lettuce leaves, salad bits and veggie bits. Ive got a row of houses at the side of me where Ive had one complaint but he had just moved in and the girls had obviously woken him for a boozy night before sleep as the first time we met he was drunk and tried to chat me up. Ive not taken his complaint seriously. Im lucky ive got a 7ft fence around my garden and my girls have never made an attempt to escape even though they could. Ive had one followed me outside the front door to the bin they followed me back in but they have never made a run for it - probably too well fed. I do sometimes worry that my neighbours might complaint but I try keeping the girls in till 7 am on a weekdays and later on a weekend. This weekend I introduced 3 new hens and then I had 4 girls wanting to use 2 nest boxes at the same time so Sunday was particulary noisy but it was after 10 so im hoping I didnt wake too many people. Thankfully no rats have been spotted but my hen house is on stilts and ive got 2 cats one of which is a good mouser. I dread the day I get a letter from the council but up until then im going to enjoy my girls. My neighbours across the road have no idea ive got chickens and one of them now buys eggs from me.
sandi
Lively Laner

Post by sandi »

have been really lucky both neighbors were asked and both said great idea
their children have given them names and had some eggs
definitely not supposed to have them in the garden but i am not sure anyone else has noticed only 1 slightly loud when she lays an egg .the kids now shout thats celia laying her egg
fingers crossed :-D