Newbie Questions (Sorry)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Richard2510
Learner Laner

Newbie Questions (Sorry)

Post by Richard2510 »

Hi,

Soon to be chicken keeper here. Can I ask someone to just answer a couple of really quick questions please.

1) The chickens will be kept in an old shed. Will they be bothered by drafts?

2) Do I need a place for each bird to nest (4 nest boxes for 4 chickens)?

3) Am I right in thinking all perches should be at the same height to prevent squabbling?

Thanks in advance )t'

Richard

p.penn

Re: Newbie Questions (Sorry)

Post by p.penn »

Hello Richard and welcome. How exciting - when are you hoping to get your chooks? You must tell us everything with photos please!

There are no silly questions when you strat chicken keeping, honestly. All sorts of things crop up so ask away. I even have the occasional thing i am not sure about now after almost 2 years!

An old shed sounds perfect. There needs to be some ventilation, as long as there aren't too many holes you should be fine.

They will share nest boxes - 2 would be fine. I have 7 chooks and one 3ft x1ft nest box. They all lay in the same place usually though!

I think I have heard that too, but I don't think it matters particularly about the perches - I just wouldn't make them too high in case they decide to lay on them one day!

Hope this helps.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mark & Veronica
Lively Laner

Post by Mark & Veronica »

An old shed will be fine but remember that dusty places should be avoided so dont put low grade shavings down, allow air to circulate, and dont forget chickens have there own quilt to keep them warm.

Also I would also wash the shed out with some safe disinfectant a few days before they arrive.

Perches and nesting boxes normally end up with only one area being used! if your hens are young or ex battery birds remember they are not that strong to manage to fly to high up, so I would put perches at different hights and see which they prefer. Also bear in mind that whilst perching they do poo, so keep food and water away from the area.

I have nesting boxes and perches, mine just huddle together on the edge of the nesting boxes and all lay eggs in one! Old crates make good boxes, and are easy to lift out to clean.

Have fun!!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Welcome.
OH tells the story of his grandma's hens. She kept adding new hens till she had more than she really had room for. So at night they heard a kerfuffle in the hen house and when they peeped in they found that they were all trying to get on the same perch and pushing each other off.
In theory they prefer the highest, in practise mine sleep in the nest box so I have to poo-pick when I let them out to avoid mucky eggs.
In theory you need 1 nest box (about the size of a sheet of A1 paper) / 3 hens, but mine all queue up for the same box. (The darkest, I think).

So learn all you can from us, then the hens will train you to do it THEIR way. :-D
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard2510
Learner Laner

Post by Richard2510 »

Thanks for all the advice. I really can't wait, but at the same time I want to take my time to make sure I get everything right!

It's all very exciting

Cheers

Richard
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

How exciting! I'm glad you found us too ... no question too daft and no need to apologise!
JD1970
Lively Laner

Post by JD1970 »

I have 4 nestboxes, but they only like no1 in the row. Typical!
Fuffy
Longlasting Laner

Post by Fuffy »

The others have all answered your questions.
I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome!

Remember even the most experienced chicken keeper started somewhere.

Good luck and have fun making a lovely home for the new members of your family )c(
3 hens, a cockerel, a very confused crowing hen, 3 labradors, a cat, 1 show cob and a shetland and 3 bouncing baby buffy girls
plopcar
Longlasting Laner

Post by plopcar »

Mo wrote:In theory you need 1 nest box (about the size of a sheet of A1 paper) / 3 hens, but mine all queue up for the same box. (The darkest, I think).

I think Mo meant for the nest boxes about the size of an A4 piece of paper, I originally had 4 nest boxes but they always lay in the back 2 (the darkest) so I took the dividers out and now just have 2 long ones.

I would make the highest perch big enough for all of them just to stop the squabbles but not too high otherwise they may hurt themselves getting up there.
Keeper (slave) and feeder to 3 small humans, 1 Jack Russell, 1 elderly cat, 2 goldfish, 5 fat hens and 6 little chicks.
beulah59
Longlasting Laner

Post by beulah59 »

Mine have two nest boxes ... the cardboard veg crates from the supermarket about the size of a broadsheet newspaper (which I use to line them!) So two hens often get in there side by side with enough room to move. Ideal - and disposable!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Even when I had nine hens I only had one nest box. It was big enough for two to get in if they wanted.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
dawncolin
Lively Laner

Post by dawncolin »

We have 3 nest boxes for our 5 girls but none of them use them for laying. They lay their eggs on the floor of the coop in one corner and often sit on top of each other if they want to lay at the same time {rofwl}

The nest boxes are normally used by Aggy & Dolly for sleeping in :-D
Owners of some very spoilt and loved chooks - Aggy, Dolly, Molly & Rosie (RIP Hetty & Maud)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

[quote="plopcarI think Mo meant for the nest boxes about the size of an A4 piece of paper, [/quote]
Whoops. you're right A4.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire